[RANT] About new cars

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: thescreensavers
All the new cars that i have seen all have electrical locks to unlock it you have to push a button that?s electrical on the door. So if you would go into water and everything shorts out you can't open your door manually you will have to brake the window now lets say for heavier people that can fit trough windows what to they do??.

cliffs

door locks and openers tottaly electric
if car goes underwatter fat guy cant go trough door b/c electric short out
windows to small
NO Manuel way to open door
What newer cars dont have

Why don't you just ask Manuel if he can pay a visit every now and then? I'm sure he won't mind. :)

SampSon

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Just about every new car I've been in has some sort of manual trigger to unlock the car.
I'm not sure what cars you're sitting in.

soydios

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2006
Reason for locking the doors once car starts moving: if you're sitting at a stoplight, but don't put the car in Park, then carjackers can't open the locked doors. You hear a thud on your car, see someone trying to open your door, you floor it, and get away without further risk to life, limb, and property.
Electric locks *do* have a manual override. Either you pull the little pole thingie up next to the window, or pull the handle, or both.

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Originally posted by: InlineFour
That's why I never lock the doors when I'm driving. Some of the luxury cars offer an automatic door locking feature when you reach a certain speed. I think that's a dumb feature. Who the hell is going to open the door when the car is going 65MPH+? There's a child protection lock if you have children in the back seat.

Luxury cars? They had that standard with the power locks on the '02 Ford Focus. 7mph (in either direction), doors lock. Period. It pisses off my passengers, especially the back seat passengers (because they have to manually unlock the door, just pulling the handle does NOT disengage the lock in the back, which is quite an oddity, since the door handle and lock assemblies are, as far as I can tell, the EXACT SAME PART for both front and back)

In any event, even in cars with this feature, there is still a lock switch - it's no longer a little nub on the top of the door - it was removed from there for both cosmetic and comfort reasons (ever try to hang your arm out the window with one of those nubs there?), but it's still a manual switch directly tied into the lock mechanism. Also, my understanding is that the car, upon deployment of the airbag, waits x seconds, and then unlocks the doors (assuming all those electronic parts haven't been destroyed) to facilitate easy escape.

Go sit in one of these 'new cars' and play around with it. Lock the doors - and then figure out how to get out. It's not exactly brain surgury.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
If you're underwater, you're driving in the wrong place. :p

Seriously though, you don't open your door if underwater, you open a window. If you can't fit through the window, lose weight.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Shawn
You pull the handle once to unlock the door, twice to open it.

That sounds electrical...if it were mechanical, one pull would do it.

So imagine you have that type of door and electric windows, and your whole system shorts out when you skid into the river. How to get out?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: jagec
Originally posted by: Shawn
You pull the handle once to unlock the door, twice to open it.

That sounds electrical...if it were mechanical, one pull would do it.

So imagine you have that type of door and electric windows, and your whole system shorts out when you skid into the river. How to get out?

Hit the Onstar button...oh wait.

DAGTA

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: thescreensavers
All the new cars that i have seen all have electrical locks to unlock it you have to push a button that?s electrical on the door. So if you would go into water and everything shorts out you can't open your door manually you will have to brake the window now lets say for heavier people that can fit trough windows what to they do??.

cliffs

door locks and openers tottaly electric
if car goes underwatter fat guy cant go trough door b/c electric short out
windows to small
NO Manuel way to open door
What newer cars dont have

Pontiac G6's have those.