Ranges - Gas vs Induction

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I need to have gas. I can't gauge heat with an electric. Also, I do things like flambéing, charing on the burner, and so forth. Can't do that on induction or electirc.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
no, no no.

i'm really at a loss for words here. If you think a toaster oven can do pizza, i'm not sure i can pull you out of the hole you've dug yourself into.

made-from-fresh proper italian pizza requires a temp of about 800F to cook properly; if it's lower, you'll get biscuit crust. Obviously if you are starting with your typical thick, soggy dough, well, that ain't pizza.

Heh, I meant frozen pizza. I don't bother making it from scratch anymore. There's a good mom 'n pop place near here.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I have no idea what you're talking about.

I got an amazon warehouse special toaster oven for $35-ish that can do a 12" pizza. I set it on toaster oven not bake mode and it gets plenty hot enough.

I DID take a sheet of aluminum and make (machine) a custom sized tray/sheet that slides into the toaster oven slot for pizza, but this is a luxury not a necessity.

If I'm multitasking well, then I'll have the custom sheet in the toaster oven to preheat while I'm making the pie, BUT this is only for small quantities, if making a full or bigger pizza then I just fire up the regular stove oven.

Anyway, I dismiss the idea that you need to spend a lot of money for this simple task. There's nothing special about my stove or toaster oven, I just set the timer for expected duration and check it.

Now having written this much, I do find that with a toaster oven the temperature setting could be rubbish, worthless, so I just use the full on 100% setting in timer mode, which works great.

Maybe I'm less picky but I am pretty picky about pizza...

Cast-iron is far from the only option with an induction range ... its just the most readily available a lot of the time for some reason.

Any magnetic (ferrous) metallic material will work with induction including as I mentioned some "composite" cookware.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Cast-iron is far from the only option with an induction range ... its just the most readily available a lot of the time for some reason.

Any magnetic (ferrous) metallic material will work with induction including as I mentioned some "composite" cookware.
You have to be careful with stainless steel cookware. Some of it (especially the more expensive sets) will not work on it. You have to get "induction compatible" stainless. Some enamel-coated cookware doesn't work with it either.

Reactions: Captante

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
AFAIK they've been around for half a century, though my stove is 30 y/o and had an induction cartridge option. I recall that cartridge costs > $1K.

No, smoothtop with resistive coils has been around for half a century. Not induction. Induction in home ranges are pretty recent.

Induction cooking was introduced in 1933 Worlds Fair but stayed mostly in pro setting.

I do remember having a tabletop one like thirty years ago back in Taiwan

Last edited:
Reactions: DigDog

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
You have to be careful with stainless steel cookware. Some of it (especially the more expensive sets) will not work on it. You have to get "induction compatible" stainless. Some enamel-coated cookware doesn't work with it either.

Correct ... I take a magnet with me when cookware-shopping for exactly that reason!

My old Farberware stainless steel set is a perfect example of this ... the aluminum coating is what makes them not work.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
No, smoothtop with resistive coils has been around for half a century. Not induction. Induction in home ranges are pretty recent.

Induction cooking was introduced in 1933 Worlds Fair but stayed mostly in pro setting.

I do remember having a tabletop one like thirty years ago back in Taiwan
Induction for home use has been around since the 70s, if you had the money.