Randomized School Testing

Juice Box

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2003
writing up a speech here on advocating a policy/action. I have chosen totally-random school testing. Under this policy, teachers are not allowed to give students warning as to when exams will be, but rather give them in class, unannounced. Not only would this help boost attendance for obvious reasons, but would also allow students to not only learn, but to remember the information they are presented with. With the possibility of a test at any time, students have no choice but to brush up on their studies every night and review the information that could be on a test the very next day.

Any counter-points you can think of?

edit: Randomized meaning teachers are not allowed to inform students of when tests will be, or even how many there will be in the semester, only that they will be given in class, randomly

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Juice Box
writing up a speech here on advocating a policy/action. I have chosen totally-random school testing. Under this policy, teachers are not allowed to give students warning as to when exams will be, but rather give them in class, unannounced. Not only would this help boost attendance for obvious reasons, but would also allow students to not only learn, but to remember the information they are presented with. With the possibility of a test at any time, students have no choice but to brush up on their studies every night and review the information that could be on a test the very next day.

Any counter-points you can think of?

Primarily, it would not test a student's knowledge, only their preparedness.

Juice Box

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2003
Originally posted by: SarcasticDwarf

Well, under the current system, tests do not measure a student's knowledge, but their ability to memorize information, which is soon to be forgotten

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Originally posted by: SarcasticDwarf

Well, under the current system, tests do not measure a student's knowledge, but their ability to memorize information, which is soon to be forgotten

True to an extent. It DOES test knowledge to a limited extend. Random testing would ONLY test preparedness + memorization, which I would say is not an improvement at all.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
It still won't do jack for those who don't give a sh!t about their grades...

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
It will cause the students to be all stressed out every day if you can have an important exam at any time.
Most of them will have high blood pressure and die of a heart attack before the end of the semester :p :Q

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
It would cause undue stress and inefficient studying. Students would feel pressured to study more than necessary everyday to insure their grades allowing less time for extracurriculars. having randomized tests also prevents students from scheduling events and appointments around tests. Either this will hurt their grades or force teachers to conduct make up sessions.

Compton

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2000
Originally posted by: everman
It will cause the students to be all stressed out every day if you can have an important exam at any time.
Most of them will have high blood pressure and die of a heart attack before the end of the semester :p :Q

I would have to agree. It may not be feasible to expect students to keep up with all of their studies on a day to day basis. I remember spending 2 or 3 days studing one subject, and then spending the next couple of days catching up on some other subject.

Juice Box

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Compton

I would have to agree. It may not be feasible to expect students to keep up with all of their studies on a day to day basis. I remember spending 2 or 3 days studing one subject, and then spending the next couple of days catching up on some other subject.

well, with the way classes are scheduled these days, you rarely have one class two days in a row, and would not have to study for every class, every night

fitzov

Platinum Member
Jan 3, 2004
You could try arguing that the whole idea of getting a sample rather than testing the whole class, is pointless. For example, lets say that there are 1000 students in the school. To get good power on the statistics would require at least 300 tested students. Given that grade-calculation is somewhat modernized (machine-fed scorecards), the benefits of sample-based testing are outweighed by the margin of error or standard deviation.

simms

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2001

Like my exams.

TOMORROW!!!! GAH

Compton

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2000

well, with the way classes are scheduled these days, you rarely have one class two days in a row, and would not have to study for every class, every night

That's a good point. So you could implement this during a fall semester or spring semester, but what about summer courses? Don't they often meet everyday? You might end up with students avoiding certain courses in the fall and spring (like thermodynamics) and trying to only take them in the summer. I know there's no way I would've survived if I faced the possibility of a test every day in thermo.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
It would make college fvcking impossible if you had to study for a test in *every* class every single night.

Have three classes tomorrow? Better study for tests in all three. I hope you don't like sleep!

Juice Box

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2003
Originally posted by: notfred
It would make college fvcking impossible if you had to study for a test in *every* class every single night.

Have three classes tomorrow? Better study for tests in all three. I hope you don't like sleep!

well, as I said, all you really need to do is review the material taught that day...if you are doing a good enough job studying, you shouldnt have to review all the material every single night...just the stuff you do not remember....it just takes time to adjust to the learning style

Kyteland

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2002
Part of going to class is learning to organize around your priorities. This system completely ignores that.

Nov 7, 2000
public schools dont care if kids learn, they just want high attendence and good scores on standardized tests so they get more money from the govt.

if you start pop tests and pursue other "difficult" measures, and kids do poorly, schools look bad, parents get pissed, kids feel stupid. if you dumb things down, people feel smarter (ironic huh), tax money looks well spent and everyone is happy.

Rayden

Jun 25, 2001
I would probably do fine with this as I generally understand the material on a basic level just from lecture. If it is a difficult subject though then I really appreciate being able to study.

There are already quizzes at most schools that are unannounced.

Having said that, I don't think it would work well for tests. My classes have at most 4-5 tests, usually 2-3, and messing up one of those badly screws you.

zanieladie

Diamond Member
Jan 19, 2003

True!

DaWhim

Lifer
Feb 3, 2003
well, really depends on what subject. some subjects like bio requires you to memorize everything. other subjects like math is very intuitive, if you get the concept, then you will be fine.