random shutdowns

mindwave

Nov 8, 2018
Team, HELP!
I live in central FL. Lightening capitol of the world, and occasionally over the years I have taken a hit. Recently moved to a new house, not had any strikes or even brownouts. BUT one of my pc's is shutting down rather quickly. Its my Win10pc so only gets used for music graphics and my 12yo homework. Using an ASUS m57a78l-m/USB3 + AMD FX 8350 16GB of MISC DDR3, 3 SATA drives WD4TB, EVGA 700 B1 PSU and a generic full tower case w/ no cover (haven't used covers in years). This started about 1 year after I built it, and for some reason I thought the PSU was at fault so I bought a new one, no go, I JUST ordered some new RAM and spent quite a few hours researching EXACTLY what I might need, so tomorrow I should take delivery of Corsair CMX16GX3M4A1333C9 XMS3 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz C9 Memory Kit 1.5V, to swap out the ram. SO IF the shutdown continues, anyone have any ideas on what I might try? SADLY this is NOT the 1st time this has occurred. Unfortunatly its been going on w/ the 2 pc's with many of the same parts being swapped out over the past 3 years?

because UNFORTUNATELY the same has happened w/ my main PC which has similar HARDWARE EXCEPT there are 5 SATA 4TB drives and 1SSD, and another 6 external USB Drives (Im a data junkie)

I will say that my Linux pc has been VERY well behaved, since my last swap out its been doing very well (of ciurse I just crused myself so tomorrow on your way to work Im the older Fuzzy guy under the over pass looking for change, my sign will say "Will 'Pute for parts")
I know that there is legimately enough random and confiusing crap here to have one person point at EVERY single piece of gear I have and say THATS YOUR ISSUE

speaking of which.....why is it that when I plug in a 32GB Sandisk USB key my mouse starts to act like Abe Vigoda on ludes?

(now the question is, did I lose more people at Abe or ludes?)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
why is it that when I plug in a 32GB Sandisk USB key my mouse starts to act like Abe Vigoda on ludes?
Let me guess... the 32GB Sandisk is a USB 3.0/3.1 drive, in a USB3.0 front port? And your mouse is using 2.4Ghz wireless? If so, it's wireless interference, it's a known issue between USB3.0 ports and 2.4Ghz wireless devices. Intel has a whitepaper on it.

mindwave

Nov 8, 2018
VIRTUAL LARRY

thamks for the tip on the wireless mouse, but actually i got so frustrated i unplugged the usb key and went to a wired pocket mouse (thats one of the $2 items you see in gumball machines...)

as for OC

that sir is for men much younger than I.

seriously when i was a lad I would get together w/ my buddies and we would push chips farther than ANYONE thought!///ever seen a 386sx running at 66! yup ive been there.

we OC'd when water cooling was something you "created" because A) your dad was a plumber and had cool parts or B) your buddy was a tig welder and liked to trade off on stuff

ever since the CPU's got in the GHZ range and the AVERAGE price went mid 3 digits I gave it up, i dont game and my video conversions are not (at this point) earning enough $ to risk it.

but yeah I agree these parts would not behave well in an OC

however my ram just came in, so lets see if THAT make a differemnce

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Can you tell if the software is shutting it down or the hardware. If hardware it is usually power or heat releated. If you aren't running much on it then the even if the cpu fan fails it shouldn't get too hot but you could check and make sure the fan is working or monitor the cpu heat. The psu could be bad or the mb could have hardware failure vrm or similar as mentioned above. There are ton of variables here and it is hard to tackle remotely but i would make sure (at least) that the psu connectors did not work loose and the fans are still functioning.
-
If it was something like disk or keyboard I would not expect a shutdown per sey. Also if you turn it on and bring up the bios configuration does it still shutdown or does it function ok while checking the bios configuration ?
-
The other option might be a short under the board - if the standoffs are not sufficient.

mindwave

Nov 8, 2018
you2

WOW you know you are the FIRST person to EVER mention the stand offs, thats interesting and well worth checking.

Update, plugged in two of the new ram sticks and I was really hopeful, let it run at idle for most of the day, JUST as I was about to reach for the mouse, -poof- its gone :(

OK, new PSU, New RAM, stripped out everything I can conceivable think of

searching for a new MB/CPU combo now, while searching Ill defninately pixzzza box the whole thing to see if its shorting against the case

anyone has any thought on an AMD FX based cpu/MB combo?

currently liking amd fx 8350 FOR THE CPU and please before we start cpu wars, this is NOT a gaming pc

I have a win10 pc because my sons school requires it, I do a little video editing. a little sound editing and some photo editing, 99% of its use is as storage, and so my boy can whip out mhis homework when he "JUST CANT EXIT FORTENITE"

I mean really I use on board graphics AND sound.......

anything I care about gets shipped over to my main linux box......

norm,ally Im not cheap, but the fat guy in red is coming. so not the best time to invest in self.......

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I mean really I use on board graphics AND sound.......
This... might be your issue. The AMD AM3/+ mobos, with 970 and 990(FX) chipsets, don't have chipset nor CPU iGPUs. So that means, that you are probably using a 760/780G-chipset mobo, which is all well and good, but running an FX-8350 off of one of those might be a strain, not to mention, that iGPU is SO OBSOLETE, that you would likely be better off using a dGPU. (Or did you already mention that you use one?) If the chipset iGPU is OVERHEATING, that could cause black screens and crashes, too. Given the age of those mobos, and those dinky chipset heatsinks, and depending on your CPU cooler, if it down-drafts over the chipset or not, that could be an issue during extended usage.

Edit: Even if the iGPU is NOT overheating, there might still be driver issues and glitches with something that old, especially in Windows 10 rather than Windows 7.

If you want an iGPU for "light" gaming, may I recommend an RX 560 card? Or an RX 550, although they are nearly the same price, and the 560 is twice the speed, roughly-speaking. (I have an RX 560 2GB card in this Ryzen R6 1600 box, and I use it for 4K UHD display and video-watching, and a little mining too.)