Random shutdowns

mc866

Golden Member
Dec 15, 2005
So my specs are below, I seem to have random shut downs and I can't seem to pinpoint the reason for them. At first I though it was my OC which was up to 3.4 and seemed stable running Orthos for over 8 hours. The temps were high at first but haven't been much higher than 62 on either core using TAT.

I applied the P24 BIOS patch for the Evga 680i board and decided to go back to stock levels to see if the random shutdowns would stop, but they didn't.

I have looked through the event viewer logs to try and identify what would be causing the shutdowns but nothing appears to show up every time. Also it happens at random times it isn't consistent at all. I've played games, encoded CD's, DVD's, ran Orthos. It just seems to happen randomly.

Would it be a process or a program I'm running, I believe I have the latest drivers for everything.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Gronich

Jun 18, 2000
What OS are you using and is it a clean/new install?

What USB devices have you got plugged in? Does the problem go away if you remove them?

Try going back to basics disconnect the things that you don't need say: HDDs and Soundcard i.e. try and reduced the load on the PSU - if the problem goes away it's either a problem with the PSU (most likely) or a drive problem for a device you have removed.

If your problems continue try another PSU...

drjman

Nov 23, 2006
Maybe give your memoy some extra juice. Run it at 2.0 - 2.2 (I believe that's what its supposed to be running at). I have had all kinds of different experiences with the "auto" setting with voltages. It may make a difference but if it fails...strip down to the absoluted hardware and slowly start adding stuff until you find the culprit (including memory, just use one stick at a time). Sounds like a hardware problem, otherwise you would be getting a blue screen. Also to make sure tht you are not getting a blue screen right click on My Computer and go to the advanced tab and select settings under the startup and recovery section. make sure "automatically restart" is unchecked. That way you can read the error message.
Good luck

mc866

Golden Member
Dec 15, 2005
Thanks guys, I'm running XP pro right now, I would say its a clean install, I did a fresh install right after I completed the build. I was planning on running memtest tonight for a bit and also doing a complete fresh install of XP to see if that helps. I'm running Acronis True Image 10 so it won't be too difficult to roll back to the install I have now if the clean one doesn't help. Guess I'll just have to keep testing things.