Random shutdowns, difficult restarts

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001
To start, I have an IP35 Pro, Q6600, 4x1GB PC-800 OCZ Platinum, 8800GT, and an OCZ GameXStream 600W PSU.

In the past 2 months, I had my Raptor die and replaced with a refurb. Ever since the replacement (the day of) I have had incredible stability problems. In fact, the day I put the drive in, the computer would not boot up. I'd hit the power button, things would light up, then shut down immediately. If I waited several minutes, I could get it to come back on and stay on. Occasionally, however, the comp would either hardlock or just power off entirely, with it not wanting to come back online.

I was previously overclocking the chip to 3.2 (400x8) but even with the clocks back to stock, I'm getting the same issues. Temps are low, and when the computer is up, I cannot get Prime95 or memtest to throw any errors. Voltages look tight when checking in BIOS or in Windows, so I'm not sure if this is PSU related, but it's my best guess at this point. Often the crashes are while the computer is idle or while I'm browsing.

Any ideas? Replacing the PSU is a pain in the butt, so I want to exhaust everything else before I make the call to OCZ for a replacement.

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001
That's a reasonable investment, but is it often that the display will be different than that of the motherboard indicators? It would be nice to see a log of the voltage when the system fails, but the PS228 doesn't do that.

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
No, that tester doesn't log the voltages over time.
If you want that, you're going to spend a bit more than $20 on a tester. :p

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001
After some back and forth with OCZ, they're sending me a new PSU. Bummer is that I thought their "Power Swap" warranty meant they sent you a new PSU while you cross ship your old one. Guess it's laptop only for me for the next couple weeks.

Old Hippie

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2005
Originally posted by: beatle
After some back and forth with OCZ, they're sending me a new PSU. Bummer is that I thought their "Power Swap" warranty meant they sent you a new PSU while you cross ship your old one. Guess it's laptop only for me for the next couple weeks.

Well, I hope Blain guessed right! :laugh: