random shut downs

Kilgore65

Mar 16, 2000
I am experiencing random shutdowns on my computer, where all of a sudden the it just cuts out to a black screen. Recent changes to the system include installation of a new 350watt Mad Dogg PSU, and a new 200GB WD hard drive in a Antec cooler unit. Case and HD temps are ranging between 95 and 103 F. System is an Asus P4B mobo with P4 1.5G CPU. Where should I start looking as to possible causes?

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
I'd say that power supply could be a prime suspect for sudden hard shutdowns.

What was your old PSU?

Kilgore65

Mar 16, 2000
Old PSU was a POS generic that came with a barebones kit... It went out and took out an HD with it. As I mentioned earlier, I have replaced the PSU and HD. New PSU runs very well and even solved a shutdown hang problem that I had with the old PSU.

Kilgore65

Mar 16, 2000
I think what it may have been was that I plugged a 4 pin power cable into the mobo (auxilliary power). I went for years without plugging that in, and everything ran fine...

stevty2889

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2003
replacing one generic PSU, with another generic PSU never solves anything. I would try disconnecting the new hard drive, to see if that helps, and also run memtest.

stevty2889

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2003
Memtest is program that tests your memory outside of a windows environment. You can run it with either a bootable floppy, or a bootable CD, by downloading the one you prefer from here.. You also need to watch your CPU temps, especialy under load, since it looks like you installed a new cooler..and it's better to post temps in celcius, since thats what is normaly used. When you say shutdowns, is it the computer actualy turning off, or is it just locking up and the screen going black?

Kilgore65

Mar 16, 2000
I'm running Motherboard Monitor and it shows the mobo at 125 - 130F. One thing I did notice is that my chassis fan is not running. It's plugged in to the mobo, but doesn't run when the computer is on. Any ideas how I can fix it? Is it controlled by the BIOS?

NightTrain

Platinum Member
Apr 1, 2001
Try another fan on that header or the same fan on a different header. It's either the fan or the header that's bad.

It also looks like you may have your MBM outputs switched because that seems awfully high for a sys temp.

NightTrain

Platinum Member
Apr 1, 2001
You may be reading the CPU temp as the case/sys temp. You just assign them in MBM. There is a chart on their page which lists most major-branded motherboards and what diode equates to what. In earlier versions you had to do it all by hand but the latest versions of MBM ask you for your mobo model and set them up for you.

Kilgore65

Mar 16, 2000
OK, I checked that and it is set correctly.... How do I get these temps down? Should I replace the heatsink fan with something more powerful?

Kilgore65

Mar 16, 2000
I've also read on some other boards that many mobos often misreport temps from 5 to 10 deg too high... Is this likely the culprit?