Random reboots after installing 8800GTS. Could it be "draining" voltage from the CPU?

Capitalizt

Banned
Nov 28, 2004
sup folks...I was running my E6600 rock solid at 3ghz (9x333) at 1.4V. It actually passed Orthos at 1.375 volts, but I was using 1.4 just to be safe. The motherboard is Asus P5B (vanilla), with 3GB DDR800 ram, and and an overclocked 7900GT graphics card..

A few days ago I upgraded to an 8800GTS (man that sucker is big!)..and now my computer randomly reboots every half hour or so...whether I'm gaming or just surfing the web! I bumped the voltage up to 1.41 and am still getting the same results. The computer is on a 600W power supply which should be more than enough to handle everything.

Any ideas? I really don't want to push the vcore on the CPU much higher, but these reboots are making my "gaming machine" completely unplayable.

CTho9305

Elite Member
Jul 26, 2000
Has it occurred to you that your video card could be defective? Has it occurred to you to try not overclocking to verify that it's not a defective video card? Have you checked the case temps to see if the power the GPU is dissipating is causing the CPU to get hotter?

Capitalizt

Banned
Nov 28, 2004
Sorry, should have elaborated on that...I reset everything to default in BIOS and now things are perfectly fine...no reboots at all. The card runs games fine. Idle temps are 54C for the GPU and 28C for the CPU cores.

It seems my old overclock is no longer stable with the new videocard, and I'm just wondering if this is a common phenomenon? I've never heard of people needing to "re-overclock" (with more voltage) after upgrading. The card is about 2 inches longer and much wider than my old one, and my gut is telling me that it's sucking a lot more power from the motherboard and probably reducing the voltage that gets to the CPU..

I'm not a technical person...but does this happen sometimes? If so, are there any solutions (aside from upping the voltage to unfomfortable levels?)

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004
It sounds like your overloading the 12v rail on the power supply. Watts don't mean much as far as power supplies go, there are many 500-600w power supplies that don't put out enough amps on the 12v rail to power that card and an overclocked CPU. Check the amp rating on the 12v(should be on the side of the PS), if it's less than 26-30 then that is likely your problem

Could also be a driver problem, have you tried reloading the nforce drivers?

CTho9305

Elite Member
Jul 26, 2000
In that case, I'd also guess it's a power supply issue.

edit: Sorry if I sounded hostile in my first reply, but a lot of people post here with "inexplicable" problems on their "rock solid overclocks" and don't bother verifying it's not OC-related first... those threads get old pretty fast ;).

Capitalizt

Banned
Nov 28, 2004
Originally posted by: GuitarDaddy
It sounds like your overloading the 12v rail on the power supply. Watts don't mean much as far as power supplies go, there are many 500-600w power supplies that don't put out enough amps on the 12v rail to power that card and an overclocked CPU. Check the amp rating on the 12v(should be on the side of the PS), if it's less than 26-30 then that is likely your problem

oh noez! My power supply only has 24A under the +12 sign. That stinks...I always assumed a 600W supply would be overkill for any amount of overclocking...I never knew about the different amp levels...guess I'll have to settle with stock speeds until I get a new power supply. Thanks for the replies.

Vannishh

Apr 23, 2012
Hello Guys i Just Built a Gaming Computer and I'm having similiar problems as this other fellow. My Specs are :

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2400MHz
With 2 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM
Chispet is Intel 975X Platinum
MS MS-7246 mainboard
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB
40GB HardDrive
80GB HardDrive
and Windows 7 Ultimate
500 WATT PSU

In about 30Mins - 1 Hour my computer will automatically shut off and reboot with no reason.. Sometimes its while im gaming and others just surfing the web. Is there any way you guys can help me?? PLEASE REPLY!

Joseph F

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2010
Please refrain from restarting threads that are more than three months old.
Welcome to AT.