Random loud beeping coming from HP a1640n

Discussion in 'Computer Help' started by PlastikSpork, Jan 16, 2013.

1. PlastikSpork

PlastikSpork Member

I have an HP Pavilion a1640n. Specs: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c00768103

The following items have been added from stock version.

Windows 7 Professional
    Upgraded to 6GB of RAM
    Added 2T Seagate HDD

A week ago my wife tripped the circuit breaker in the living room which shut off my HP, which I use for a media center PC. I restarted the computer and Windows would boot to a black screen with only the mouse pointer visible. Windows ended up doing start up recovery and disc error checking on reboot with a successful boot after error checking. The next day it would boot to black screen once again. I tried to running HD error checking with no success, then I tried to restore to a previous restore point but I was getting an error. I ended up just re-installing Windows.

Occasionally ever since re-installing Windows I will hear loud beeps coming from what I believe is the HP computer (every 30 to 60 min). I've heard 4 short very loud beeps and 2 short very loud beeps while the computer is up and running. The beeps are so loud that I would almost compare them to a smoke detector. I've done HDD error checks with SpinRite (no unusual sounds coming form both HDD), I've even done error checks on the RAM with Ultimate boot CD and everything is running normal with no errors.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Smoove910

Smoove910 Golden Member

3. paul878

paul878 Senior member

What happens to the computer when you hear the beeps, reboot? shutdown?

4. PlastikSpork

PlastikSpork Member

Nothing happens. Computer runs normally, CPU max temp is no more then 108 F or 42 C

Smoove910 I am running Memtest right now.. I will let it run over night and report findings tomorrow.

5. Bubbaleone

Bubbaleone Golden Member

Your mobo has an AMI BIOS. If your description of the beeps you hear is accurate, it's probably bad RAM.

2 short: Memory parity error = A memory parity error has occurred in the first 64K of RAM. The RAM IC is probably bad

4 short: System timer failure = The system clock/timer IC has failed or there is a memory error in the first bank of memory

Per Smoove910's suggestion; run memtest to determine which stick/s need to be replaced.

#5 Bubbaleone, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  6. PlastikSpork

PlastikSpork Member

According to HP website and BIOS POST Screen http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c00783637&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN&lc=en

I have Award BIOS, not AMI

7. paul878

paul878 Senior member

Where is the beep coming from? inside the computer? speaker?

8. PlastikSpork

PlastikSpork Member

Sounds like from it's coming form the internal speaker.

9. paul878

paul878 Senior member

10. PlastikSpork

PlastikSpork Member

Ran Memtest86+ v.4.20 through the night with no errors what so ever.

I also ran HP's Hardware Diagnostic Tools with every test passing.

11. paul878

paul878 Senior member

You have a strange problem, I look at the Hp maintenance manual, but couldn't find anything useful. Pop the cover off and take a look inside see if all the fans are spinning.

12. PlastikSpork

PlastikSpork Member

All fans are spinning.

At exactly 3 pm it beeped 2 short beeps and then again at exactly 4 pm the computer beeped 4 times. I went into the CMOS settings and returned everything back to default settings. I waited at 5 pm to see if it would beep again and nothing so far.

Edit: 6pm beeped 2 short-pause-2 short

#12 PlastikSpork, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  13. Smoove910

Smoove910 Golden Member

Here's what I was able to find... verify by checking the BIOS, and physical connection for the following:

2 short beeps Floppy diskette or compact disc not detected

4 short beeps Flashing failed (checksum error, corrupted image, etc.) <--- this could be an issue since it's possible a power surge can very well corrupt the BIOS

My recommendation would be to check the floppy connection (power/data cable) and verify it is seen within the BIOS. If it is, not sure why it's beeping. Overall, you may need to reflash the BIOS with the latest/greatest for your motherboard. Good Luck!

14. paul878

paul878 Senior member

He said he is getting these beep while the computer is running, not at post.

15. PlastikSpork

PlastikSpork Member

SOLVED!!!!

I figured out that if I changed Windows time to right before the top of the hour that the computer would beep again at the top of the hour. So I started systematically shutting down programs until the beeping stopped.

Then I realized that I have a Clock Gadget from addgadget.com. I use this gadget to let me know the up-time of my computer. After terminating that gadget the beeping finally stopped. This is very frustrating because before I reformatted my computer I had this same exact gadget running for months and it never beeped before. I don't know if there was an update that made the top of the hour beeping a default setting but how F'ing annoying and here I thought my computer was taking a dump on me.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: I feel like a total dumb a$$!:confused:

Thanks everyone for the help.

16. paul878

paul878 Senior member

LOL, so it was some kind of Alarm.