Random lockups with GeForce 2.

Subversal

Aug 22, 2000
Okay.

4 days ago was my first encounter with a game locking up on my new system. Playin Counter-Strike, 5 secs into entering a game... bam its frozen. Have to turn off my PC. So I try Q3... same problem. Its late so I just go to bed. The said problem hasn't occured until tonight. Played 2 hours of UT today and no problems. Played an hour of CS no problem. Go out, come back home try to play CS and bam...LOCKUP.

Specs:

MSI K7Tpro2-A
Duron 700
GeForce 2 GTS (Using 6.47... like I said been running great for a long time)
SB Live
Win98SE
DX8 (using since they officialy came out)

I changed the driver to 6.49... same thing. Used the 6.31... ditto. Disabled fastwrites, sidebanding... no help. My second Duron 700 system has the same specs minus GeForce 2 (using a GeForce 2 MX) and hasn't had the lockups I experience in my main system. UT, Q3, and CS all lockup within 5-10 secs of playing.

Compellor

Oct 1, 2000
Try uninstalling the current drivers, then install the official 6.31 reference drivers from nVidia. I'm using the 6.31's with DX8 without a problem. You might also try to reinstall DX8 to see if that helps. If all else fails, format the hard drive and start over from scratch to pinpoint the problem. One last thing to check is to see if ACPI is installed. I had the same problem as you do and disabled it when doing a fresh install of the OS after formatting. It fixed my lockups.

Just type in: D:\win98\setup /p i

Do this as a last resort.

Subversal

Aug 22, 2000
Working fine now... just ran 3dMark twice and played a little UT with no probs.

Yeah thx for the input Compellor. Formatting and a reinstall is a last resort... might have to consider it if this happens again and often. I've uninstalled the older drivers completely and using 6.31 now. Like I said just played some UT and no lockups... going back to play now :)

Dill

Mar 2, 2000
I had a similar problem..I disabled ACPI in my bios, formatted and reinstalled Win2k, and now all is well..

Subversal

Aug 22, 2000
Well still getting those problems. I can't disable ACPI in my BIOS... reformatted and reinstalled.. same problems. But when it locks up sometimes I can Ctrl-Alt-Del and End Task (Counter-Strike) and then poof I am back playing... then it gives the box to wait or end now and I say wait... playing again but the video is very stuttery. I knocked the hardware acceleration a notch, set default speeds on the Geforce... no sideband, no fastwrites, set at agp 2x, no help.