Random House pulls novel on Islam, fears violence

Golden Member
Jul 22, 2003
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Publisher Random House has pulled a novel about the Prophet Mohammed's child bride, fearing it could "incite acts of violence."

"The Jewel of Medina," a debut novel by journalist Sherry Jones, 46, was due to be published on August 12 by Random House, a unit of Bertelsmann AG, and an eight-city publicity tour had been scheduled, Jones told Reuters on Thursday.

The novel traces the life of A'isha from her engagement to Mohammed, when she was six, until the prophet's death. Jones said that she was shocked to learn in May, that publication would be postponed indefinitely.

"I have deliberately and consciously written respectfully about Islam and Mohammed ... I envisioned that my book would be a bridge-builder," said Jones.

Random House deputy publisher Thomas Perry said in a statement the company received "cautionary advice not only that the publication of this book might be offensive to some in the Muslim community, but also that it could incite acts of violence by a small, radical segment."

"In this instance we decided, after much deliberation, to postpone publication for the safety of the author, employees of Random House, booksellers and anyone else who would be involved in distribution and sale of the novel," Perry said.

Jones, who has just completed a sequel to the novel examining her heroine's later life, is free to sell her book to other publishers, Perry said.

The decision has sparked controversy on Internet blogs and in academic circles. Some compared the controversy to previous cases where portrayals of Islam were met with violence.

http://www.reuters.com/article.../idUSN0736008820080807

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Of course Random House is a private business, they can decide to publish what they want and not publish what they don't, but this is the kind of thing that illusrtrates how we're allowing nutcases to destroy our freedoms.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: PokerGuy
Of course Random House is a private business, they can decide to publish what they want and not publish what they don't, but this is the kind of thing that illusrtrates how we're allowing nutcases to destroy our freedoms.
I hope these kinds of actions don't set precedents. It's easy to hide in a crowd but if more companies do things like this, those that don't will be increasingly likely to be targetted and it becomes a snowball effect until the only thing about islam published is the koran.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
You know, I'm slow to realize it, but it just occurred to me if there'd been a DaVinci Code regarding Islam, I think we'd all be dead by now.

Ludicrous.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
The world isn't perfect. Everyone isn't equal. If you write about somebody's religion and you KNOW they don't like their religion being protrayed in certain manners, be ready for the blowback. Some companies don't want to pay for that blowback. After all, a company exists to make money, not exercising its American freedom of speech.

There's something call respect and people need to understand it.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Dari
The world isn't perfect. Everyone isn't equal. If you write about somebody's religion and you KNOW they don't like their religion being protrayed in certain manners, be ready for the blowback. Some companies don't want to pay for that blowback. After all, a company exists to make money, not exercising its American freedom of speech.

I agree.

And anyway, I don't think American muslims would riot. This is a culture issue.

But on the other hand, I can't help but notice that it's not out of respect that this company didn't publish this, but out of fear.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Atreus21

I agree.

But on the other hand, I can't help but notice that it's not out of respect that this company didn't publish this, but out of fear.

Of course it's fear. They've seen what happens when you piss off Muslims. Can you imagine being the CEO or author of this book and having to go into hiding because of this? There will continue to be people that will push the boundary of what is acceptable to muslims, but the individual price is quite high.

StormRider

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2000

I agree.

Of course it's fear. They've seen what happens when you piss off Muslims. Can you imagine being the CEO or author of this book and having to go into hiding because of this? There will continue to be people that will push the boundary of what is acceptable to muslims, but the individual price is quite high.

From reading the following quote, I don't think the intent of the author was to offend Muslims. Personally, if I were an author, I would avoid creating any works that had Muslim characters in them for fear of accidentally offending them.

"I have deliberately and consciously written respectfully about Islam and Mohammed ... I envisioned that my book would be a bridge-builder," said Jones.

Random House deputy publisher Thomas Perry said in a statement the company received "cautionary advice not only that the publication of this book might be offensive to some in the Muslim community, but also that it could incite acts of violence by a small, radical segment."

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: StormRider

I agree.

From reading the following quote, I don't think the intent of the author was to offend Muslims. Personally, if I were an author, I would avoid creating any works that had Muslim characters in them for fear of accidentally offending them.

Perception. Even if she wrote that the Prophet was a saint and great in bed, I don't think Muslims want to hear about that.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
So isn't it absolutely absurd now that authors and publishers in the US can't use their freedom of expression for fear of what these fanatics might do? :confused:

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
This is an excellent publicity boost, if she can find another publisher.

MagicConch

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2005
If she had written about Buddha, Jesus, Shiva, the Báb (Bahai), Solomon, Moses, Arjan Dev (Sikh) etc., I bet they would have published it.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
When absolutists are challenged they feel threatened and people who feel threatened are dangerous. Absolutism is under assault all over the world. Every person growing up today practically, is exposed to the fact that there are millions of only truths. This leads inevitably to the suspicion that one or two of them might be wrong and so on. A mighty wave is coming and the past will be washed away.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Almost as stupid as renaming anything with the word "French" to "Freedom".

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
The terrorists won when we started having to throw away perfume bottles at airport security checkpoints.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Their business, their right to make cowardly decisions.

But we have to draw the line somewhere. If this were, say, a textbook for an Eastern Studies class and the publisher decided not to publish, or if a high school world culture book were to cut a chapter on Mohammad for fear of "insulting", well then we'd need to do something a little more serious.

There doesn't seem to be any intent by the author to be disrespectful or inflamatory, so claiming this was a move calculated to be "respectful" to muslims is just a cowardly explanation for a cowardly decision.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
You know, I'm slow to realize it, but it just occurred to me if there'd been a DaVinci Code regarding Islam, I think we'd all be dead by now.

Ludicrous.

Rushdie's still with us.

Sep 12, 2004
Originally posted by: jonks

Ludicrous.

Rushdie's still with us.
Does Britain still supply bodyguards for him?

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken
Originally posted by: jonks

Ludicrous.

Rushdie's still with us.
Does Britain still supply bodyguards for him?

If the muslims can't kill one man who was the author of a heathen text, I think the rest of us are gonna make it. Well most of us.

Rakewell

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2005
It is 'ludicrous'.

The Muslim community has a history of picking one offensive topic over another to protest.

Anyone here find it odd that the Danish cartoons a year or two ago were protested all over the middle east, yet Mohammed (Along with Jesus and other Religious Deities) was part of the 'Super Friends' on an episode of SOUTH PARK?

Where was the protest then?