Random Fact of the Day!

BlancoNino

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2005
Did you know that when beer is made, the yeast is essentially peeing and farting?

Hope that doesn't ruin it for you!

:beer:

Edit: This is true, if you have a little imagination. I've talked to several beer makers who have confirmed this, as well as a college professor.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
No...

the yeast is undergoing anaerobic respiration, creating carbon dioxide and alcohol as a result of breaking down sugars/starches.

BlancoNino

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Aflac
No...

the yeast is undergoing anaerobic respiration, creating carbon dioxide and alcohol as a result of breaking down sugars/starches.

But they are essentially peeing and farting!

CarlKillerMiller

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2003
Originally posted by: BlancoNino
No...

What? No, they're not. I don't even get what you mean by "essentially", here.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
No...

Wrong, buster. Peeing is ridding your body of nitrogenous wastes (mostly from ingestion and breakdown of DNA and RNA) and other toxins, while farting is the gaseous by-product of bacteria decomposing material in your large intestine.

If you want me to explain the exact analogy of what the yeast is doing respond.

Go to school.

BlancoNino

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2005
Originally posted by: CarlKillerMiller
No...

If you would use your imagination a little...it's pretty much the same process.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
Did you know that when beer is made, the yeast is essentially peeing and farting?

Edit: This is true, if you have a little imagination. I've talked to several beer makers who have confirmed this, as well as a college professor.

WOW. Just wow. I loved how you confirmed it with several beer makers and a college professor thus killing two birds with one stone - a) how alcohol is made and b) your intelligence.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Originally posted by: CarlKillerMiller
No...

If you would use your imagination a little...it's pretty much the same process.

Imagination != LSD-induced hallucination

You want an explanation? Well here you go.

In the brewing process, yeasts take in starches/sugars, and since they're in an environment without oxygen, undergo anaerobic respiration. The by-products of this anaerobic respiration are carbon dioxide, ethyl alcohol, and energy to be used by the yeast.

This is akin to humans when they are doing aerobic exercise (distance running, distance swimming, basically anything that takes a long time and your body is constantly working). In this case, the human body cannot take in oxygen fast enough to satiate the need for energy, so instead of going through the process that uses oxygen, the body changes to the one that doesn't use oxygen. It takes stored-up sugars and starches, breaks them down, and the by-products of this are lactic acid and energy.

In both cases, respiration occurs without oxygen. In one case, carbohydrates are turned into alcohol, while in the other case, carbohydrates turn into lactic acid (which is what makes your muscles burn after a while). Both are essentially the same process, and perform the same function.

This is NOT pissing and farting.

The correct analogy would be "did you know that when making beer, the yeast is breathing?"

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999

did you know honey is bee vomit?

Skeeedunt

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2005

Did you know: 4 out of 5 college professors agree that they just said that so you'd leave them alone.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: sygyzy

WOW. Just wow. I loved how you confirmed it with several beer makers and a college professor thus killing two birds with one stone - a) how alcohol is made and b) your intelligence.

:laugh:

May 26, 2006
Maybe you should make sure your facts are correct, and a little more interesting before you go posting them on ATOT.

veggz

Banned
Jan 3, 2005
Wow, this thread seems to have taken a turn for the worse. The analogy would hold up if you were referring to how beer actually tastes :)