Random Boot to Black Screen / 2nd Boot Generally Succeeds - Solved!

SkyBum

Oct 16, 2004
Around 20-30% of my boots end up at a black screen.

On a succesful boot, post occurs on the secondary display and once the windows logo pops up it jumps accross to the primary display and everything is fine.

On an unsucessful boot I see post on the secondary display with the exception that after post, the main display remains dark. No windows logo, no login, no primary display power up.

Aside from that the machine behaves perfectly once I manage a succesful boot. Most times after a failed attempt, a second boot attempt is all that is needed to get to desktop. Occasionally a third attempt is required.

It's been doing this for awhile so I can't say with any certainty, but there are three major changes which happened around time I started noticing this problem (in order):

- I installed a GTX 1080.
- I installed a new SSD as C drive along with Windows 10
- I replaced my primary display with an Acer Predator XB271HUC as primary (HDMI).
(secondary display is using HDMI to DVI, and the previous primary display was also using DVI).

It's been too long to remember exactly where in that timeline this problem began.

Not really sure how to troubleshoot this. I've never seen post happening on a secondary display before, I have a hunch that the machine may be booting properly, but my primary display is simply not getting its signal to turn on but who knows for sure. Bit confused over this one.

Any suggestions would be great,

Thanks.

Last edited:

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
Cable or loose connection, try different cable, maybe swapping ports on the gpu

SkyBum

Oct 16, 2004
Cable or loose connection, try different cable, maybe swapping ports on the gpu

I've already swapped the connections, everything is nice and tight. The only thing I am touching between a failed and successful reboot is the power button so a loose cable seems unlikely.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Boot with only the hdmi>hdmi connection (one screen). Can you replicate the error in this scenario?

SkyBum

Oct 16, 2004
Boot with only the hdmi>hdmi connection (one screen). Can you replicate the error in this scenario?

My apologies Ketchup, for not replying to your post earlier but I nearly forgot. Followed your advice and problem solved...thanks SO much for posting that, that scenario was making me crazy.

As always Anandtech to the rescue. Cant even count how many times Ive been bailed out by a helpful forum member...THANKS!