Question Random Black Screen While Gaming

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
Recently my son built a new computer. When he finished his GPU looked a little lackluster in his case so I gave him my 1660. His 1660 went to his sister who began using his old PC. I took her 1060. Today while gaming I began having random black screens. They last only a few seconds and the game comes right back. I have 3 screens and only the screen with the game goes black. No cursor or anything. This didn't happen with the 1660 and my daughter didn't have trouble with the 1060.

So far I have checked in game settings but it happened in multiple games. I updated GPU drivers using the clean install method. I ran Windows updates. I tried with and without my overclock on the GPU. Temps are fine, in the 60s.

This PC typically folds 24/7. It has no trouble with the work units. No errors or crashes or anything. I'm stumped.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
Found my issue after doing some more troubleshooting. For some reason I can't use G-Sync anymore on this setup. I disabled it and the black screens have gone away. I'll have to do some digging and see if I can get G-Sync back and get rid of the black screen issue.

Whirlwind

Nov 4, 2006
Found my issue after doing some more troubleshooting. For some reason I can't use G-Sync anymore on this setup. I disabled it and the black screens have gone away. I'll have to do some digging and see if I can get G-Sync back and get rid of the black screen issue.

Is your monitor G-Sync certified ?

This bothers me , because i want a 27" curve monitor that is G-sync certified and I cant find any options in my budget....may just have to get a flat screen, but I don't want to.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
Is your monitor G-Sync certified ?

This bothers me , because i want a 27" curve monitor that is G-sync certified and I cant find any options in my budget....may just have to get a flat screen, but I don't want to.
I have 3 AOC 24G2 monitors. They are listed as Freesync compatible. When I was troubleshooting and reinstalling Nvidia drivers a message popped up that my monitors were g-sync compatible. I didn't have this issue with the 1660 I had previously so not sure what is going on and I haven't had time to do any further testing.

MadScientist

Platinum Member
Jul 15, 2001
I picked up this 27" curved MSI monitor from Walmart for $178. during BF. It's FreeSync not G-Sync certified but you can enable G-Sync on it. It wiil run at 165Mhz refresh rate but only with a DisplayPort cable. Picture looks great. My only cons are that it does not have Gamma adjustment and only an HDMI cable was included. Also using an Nvidia Geforce 1660 GPU. You can adjust the Gamma using Windows Calibrate Display Color or Nvidia's control panel. I use this website to check Gamma and other settings. http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gamma_calibration.php

Screenshot 2022-01-25 095949.jpg

Screenshot 2022-01-25 095904.jpg

Last edited: