Question Random black screen during freesync, driver issue? monitor issue? cable issue?

markiv345

Feb 21, 2020
Hello, I have this https://iiyama.com/gl_en/products/g-master-g2530hsu-b1/ monitor 1080p freesync with a range of 40hz-75hz.
And I have this amd rx 590 https://www.sapphiretech.com/en/consumer/nitro-rx-590-8g-g5-oc_c gpu.

While I play with freesync I cap the games at 72fps or just 60fps for some single player games, and I have a very very random black screen for a 1 second, the audio doenst cut, cracked or something, just the screen goes black. Its so random that I cant even force the issue myself, I have to be playing and will be happening at sometime.
For example, yesterday I was playing during 3 hours to Borderlands 3 on freesync and didnt get any black screen, and today after been playing for an hour I get one black screen, and I also only get on black screen, even after long gaming session I never got 2 black screens, but it always happen at least one very random.

I have found people with similar issues, but they had a lot of black screen and continuous, but I just have one random at sometimes, so to me its something rarely.
I have tested freesync over hdmi and its happen, differents hdmi cables and happen, I didnt test a different displayport cable, but since over hdmi still happen I am afraid to get an expensive displayport cable and still happen, also I tested differents drivers version. I tried to increase freesync range with cru to 30-75hz, the panel can handle, even activate lfc, but the random black screen still happen, also on amd display configuration displayport I increased voltage swing and pre-emphasis to 2, and still happen. If I disable freesync for games, I dont have any other issue with this monitor, but tearing at any fps.
So I dont know what to do, its a monitor issue? Or still drivers? Or something else? What do you think? Thank you.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I have had random black screens on three different computers (AMD and nVidia) that was all the result of the HDMI sync being momentarily lost. It last just a moment, and then comes back and everything is fine. Games didn't crash or anything. In one case for me it was the monitor, in another case it was the cable. I see you have already tried a different cable, and HDMI and DP. So, it could be the monitor? I have never even heard of that brand of display, so I don't have any experience with it.

Also, you should not get any tearing if you have VSYNC on.

What version of the drivers are you running? The black screen issue is not something that Polaris cards are known for. Their drivers have been pretty solid for quite some time.

markiv345

Feb 21, 2020
Yes, its like that the screen just goes black for a second, but no crash or anything, but the rare thing is that its not something continous, I just get one black screen random at sometimes. I know I could use just vsync but this is a step back I liked how its works freesync. Also I tested drivers since the two last of adrenalin 2019 to each 2020 until the last 20.2.1.

Now I just noticed the current speed link in the display specs in the adrenalin display configuration, and its says 1.62Gbps x4, and this seems to be a bandwitch of dp1.0, do you think this bandwith speed its not enought for freeysnc at 75hz? Its so rare because like I say, 90% even 95% of the time everything works fine, but randomly a one black screen will happen.

philosofool

Nov 3, 2008
I had a somewhat similar problem with an RX 480, and it persisted regardless of DP or HDMI. It was actually a problem of "flicker" in windows, but the screen would very briefly flash an empty frame or two. It didn't happen in games. Okay, so not the same problem, but maybe some of what worked for me will help.

I have a 144Hz monitor and it only occurred at 144Hz; 120 Hz stopped it. Switching to an RX 270 was a disaster. Switching to a GTX 970 made it work at 144Hz.

I can't exactly say what the problem was, my problem, and yours, like a card BIOS or driver issue. Have you tried older drivers? Have your tried setting your monitor to 60Hz? If you are like me, running at a lower refresh rate will not be satisfying, but at least that would help to get things running while you try to sort out the issue. I would not update BIOS unless you've tried everything else, but a card BIOS update might fix the issue.

Ready4Droid

Apr 12, 2020
My daughter's PC kept doing that at random in some games, she has an RX 560. Ended up being a loose HDMI cable (I meant the connector itself was loose, not that the cable was half plugged). We tried another cheap cable and same issue. Had to test a third cable that was a bit more snug in the GPU and the issue was resolved. Not sure why, as the same HDMI cable worked fine in other machines, seems the connector on the GPU must be on th higher side of spec and the cable on the smaller side or something.

Guru

May 5, 2017
Hello, I have this https://iiyama.com/gl_en/products/g-master-g2530hsu-b1/ monitor 1080p freesync with a range of 40hz-75hz.
And I have this amd rx 590 https://www.sapphiretech.com/en/consumer/nitro-rx-590-8g-g5-oc_c gpu.

While I play with freesync I cap the games at 72fps or just 60fps for some single player games, and I have a very very random black screen for a 1 second, the audio doenst cut, cracked or something, just the screen goes black. Its so random that I cant even force the issue myself, I have to be playing and will be happening at sometime.
For example, yesterday I was playing during 3 hours to Borderlands 3 on freesync and didnt get any black screen, and today after been playing for an hour I get one black screen, and I also only get on black screen, even after long gaming session I never got 2 black screens, but it always happen at least one very random.

I have found people with similar issues, but they had a lot of black screen and continuous, but I just have one random at sometimes, so to me its something rarely.
I have tested freesync over hdmi and its happen, differents hdmi cables and happen, I didnt test a different displayport cable, but since over hdmi still happen I am afraid to get an expensive displayport cable and still happen, also I tested differents drivers version. I tried to increase freesync range with cru to 30-75hz, the panel can handle, even activate lfc, but the random black screen still happen, also on amd display configuration displayport I increased voltage swing and pre-emphasis to 2, and still happen. If I disable freesync for games, I dont have any other issue with this monitor, but tearing at any fps.
So I dont know what to do, its a monitor issue? Or still drivers? Or something else? What do you think? Thank you.
Try limiting the fps a little ABOVE the monitor range, say limit it to 76fps.