Randi Rhodes quits Air America

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Surprised not to see this here, I mean this is where I come for all my news first :)

http://elections.foxnews.com/2...ter-anti-clinton-rant/

Cliffs: RR (who I don't know) is a radio personality on Air America (which I've never listened to) and she went on a rant against Hillary (whom I support) and Ferraro.

Interesting issues here.

One, she wasn't even on the air, she was at an event.
Her employer, AA, demanded she apologize on the air and she resigned instead.

I say good for her. Anyone else sick of the constant bending over and apologizing? If everyone just took a stand and refused to apologize for saying what they truly felt and thought, maybe we could move forward on issues instead of spending a week pointing fingers after every non-incident that is hyped to fill the 24 hour news cycle.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Who? Air America / Talk Radio is worthless in general. I used to tune in to various shows, but after enough blowhard morons made my ears bleed I just gave it up.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: RKDaley
She will be back on air Monday, 4/14. Nova M Radio re-hired her.

http://green960.com/cc-common/...213008&article=3493425

Air America was killed off some time ago. All a designed ploy:

ABOUT NOVA M RADIO

Nova M Radio is in the business of building a progressive talk radio network with the original founders of Air America Radio.

Nova M Radio's affiliate markets include Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco, Dallas, Seattle, Miami, Phoenix, Portland, plus both Sirius and XM Satellite Radio. Nova M Radio nationally syndicates ?The Randi Rhodes Show? and "The Mike Malloy Show" and operates radio station 1480 KPHX in Phoenix, Arizona.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Al Franken was the cornerstone of Air America.
He had great shows and info.
He talked about Val Plane (sp) long before it became main stream.
And exposed so many other issues that are common knowledge now.

Once Al quit, I stopped tuning in. No point.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: sportage

That's part of the problem with liberal talk radio, there just aren't enough people who do that sort of thing to build a movement or even a radio station out of. Not only is the conservative side of the fence overflowing with the type of hosts conservative listeners want, there are hundreds of mostly interchangeable gomers waiting in the wings to step in and do basically just as good a job if the front runners quit.

I'm not sure whether that's good or bad for the respective political ideologies as a whole, but for some reason liberal talk radio hosts are a lot harder to come by than conservative ones. Maybe conservatives expect less from their hosts so anybody with a pulse can do the job, or maybe liberal ideas lend themselves less well to talk radio format...but whatever the case, Al Franken seems to be the only guy who can make liberal talk radio work, while the country is virtually blanketed with conservatives on the radio.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Rainsford

That's part of the problem with liberal talk radio, there just aren't enough people who do that sort of thing to build a movement or even a radio station out of. Not only is the conservative side of the fence overflowing with the type of hosts conservative listeners want, there are hundreds of mostly interchangeable gomers waiting in the wings to step in and do basically just as good a job if the front runners quit.

I'm not sure whether that's good or bad for the respective political ideologies as a whole, but for some reason liberal talk radio hosts are a lot harder to come by than conservative ones. Maybe conservatives expect less from their hosts so anybody with a pulse can do the job, or maybe liberal ideas lend themselves less well to talk radio format...but whatever the case, Al Franken seems to be the only guy who can make liberal talk radio work, while the country is virtually blanketed with conservatives on the radio.

Believe it or not, talk radio, regardless of ideology, is a talent. Conservative talk radio found talent in Rush Limbaugh, and an industry was built from that. Liberal talk radio was hastily pushed on the public to counter the conservative dominance, only the people they selected to host the shows had no radio talent, and were basicly just loud, obnoxious blowhards. It seems they were trying to emulate the likes of Mike Savage instead of tamer hosts like Limbaugh, Ingram, or O'reilly. If their intent was to win over converts to the liberal ideology, I think they accomplished the exact opposite with Air America.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Rainsford

People have more liberal sources for their information than conservatives. Conservative slanted news can be found on talk radio and Fox News. Liberal talk radio fails because people dont need to listen to the radio for their liberal slanted information. Read a newspaper, magazine, nightly news. All give liberals what they crave.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

ABOUT NOVA M RADIO

Nova M Radio is in the business of building a progressive talk radio network with the original founders of Air America Radio.

Nova M Radio's affiliate markets include Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco, Dallas, Seattle, Miami, Phoenix, Portland, plus both Sirius and XM Satellite Radio. Nova M Radio nationally syndicates ?The Randi Rhodes Show? and "The Mike Malloy Show" and operates radio station 1480 KPHX in Phoenix, Arizona.

Hahaha so after failing at Air America they suckered more investors into building a new network? I predict the same failure. But knowing them, they will try to get the govt to fund their requirement for capital.

craftech

Nov 26, 2000
...nightly news. All give liberals what they crave.
===================
Please define a "liberal", then give a specific example in the nightly news.

Thanks,
John

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Mxylplyx
Believe it or not, talk radio, regardless of ideology, is a talent. Conservative talk radio found talent in Rush Limbaugh, and an industry was built from that. Liberal talk radio was hastily pushed on the public to counter the conservative dominance, only the people they selected to host the shows had no radio talent, and were basicly just loud, obnoxious blowhards. It seems they were trying to emulate the likes of Mike Savage instead of tamer hosts like Limbaugh, Ingram, or O'reilly. If their intent was to win over converts to the liberal ideology, I think they accomplished the exact opposite with Air America.

Good point vis-a-vi Savage et al. I can't stand him either. Air America...what a joke. :laugh:

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: craftech
===================

Thanks,
John

Quite easily, somebody who believes in a nanny state, govt is the answer for all of our ills, tax the rich, and go after the corporations while playing the race\class card any chance they get.

Dan Rather is the first to come to mind.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Genx87

ABOUT NOVA M RADIO

Hahaha so after failing at Air America they suckered more investors into building a new network?

I predict the same failure. But knowing them, they will try to get the govt to fund their requirement for capital.

===================

Thanks,
John

Quite easily, somebody who believes in a nanny state, govt is the answer for all of our ills, tax the rich, and go after the corporations while playing the race\class card any chance they get.

Awesome. At least someone goes after the corporate heads :thumbsup:

craftech

Nov 26, 2000
===================

Thanks,
John

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/liberal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberalism

http://dictionary.cambridge.or...sp?key=45822&dict=CALD

Which one did you use? I can't find that definition in any of the ones I referenced.

You also failed to give a specific example in the nightly news. Dan Rather no longer works in the nightly news. I'll give you a list of networks in case you didn't know:

CBS
NBC
ABC
CNN
FOX
PBS
C-SPAN

If we are to believe your self-created definition of a "liberal" then provide a detailed and verifiable example (transcript for example) of one of these networks presenting the news in YOUR self-defined "liberal" light.....that they are presenting:

"belief in a nanny state, govt is the answer for all of our ills, tax the rich, and go after the corporations while playing the race\class card any chance they get."

John

NOTE: This does not mean that I accept that you have decided that Webster, Random House, Wikipedia, and Dictionary.com collectively do not know what the definition of a "liberal" is and that you do.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
===================

Thanks,
John

Which one did you use? I can't find that definition in any of the ones I referenced.

You also failed to give a specific example in the nightly news. Dan Rather no longer works in the nightly news. I'll give you a list of networks in case you didn't know:

CBS
NBC
ABC
CNN
FOX
PBS
C-SPAN

If we are to believe your self-created definition of a "liberal" then provide a detailed and verifiable example (transcript for example) of one of these networks presenting the news in YOUR self-defined "liberal" light.....that they are presenting:

"belief in a nanny state, govt is the answer for all of our ills, tax the rich, and go after the corporations while playing the race\class card any chance they get."

John

I cant help it if the leftists in our country took over the name liberal. It is what we call them and they call themselves. Get over it.

You asked what a liberal is in this context and I gave it to you. I cant help it if you dont like what it is or has become.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

ABOUT NOVA M RADIO

Hahaha so after failing at Air America they suckered more investors into building a new network?

I predict the same failure. But knowing them, they will try to get the govt to fund their requirement for capital.

===================

Thanks,
John

Awesome. At least someone goes after the corporate heads :thumbsup:

Heh yeah and in their wise attacks and helping to push through a bigger govt inadvertantly give those very same corporations more power. Brilliantly well thought out long term move :disgust:

craftech

Nov 26, 2000
===================

Thanks,
John

CBS
NBC
ABC
CNN
FOX
PBS
C-SPAN

John

I cant help it if the leftists in our country took over the name liberal. It is what we call them and they call themselves. Get over it.

You asked what a liberal is in this context and I gave it to you. I cant help it if you dont like what it is or has become.

So then it is through "repetition" that we are to accept your definition and not through any source with any credibility?
OK, Can you show me a "leftist" who defines "liberal" in the way you do? Then can you show me where the "leftist" you are about to provide a link to has been widely accepted by those who define themselves as "liberal?

And then FINALLY provide the detailed example in the nightly news that I have asked for three times and that you have avoided. You made the generalized statement so you must be able to easily provide examples since you say it is so widespread amongst the networks.

John

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
===================

Thanks,
John

CBS
NBC
ABC
CNN
FOX
PBS
C-SPAN

John

So then it is through "repetition" that we are to accept your definition and not through any source with any credibility?
OK, Can you show me a "leftist" who defines "liberal" in the way you do? Then can you show me where the "leftist" you are about to provide a link to has been widely accepted by those who define themselves as "liberal?

John

Oh jesus get over it. There is no scientific proof of what a liberal is or what a conservative is because it is constantly changing within this country. Anybody who wants "proof" is wasting their time. Because one persons nanny stater is another persons equal rights activist. I wont bother going down this road with you because it doesnt matter what "proof" I provide your view will differ from mine.

The definition of liberal in this country typically represents everything I said above. You can throw a dictionary definition, a wikipedia entry on "liberalism", and anything else you want to toss out there but it wont change anything. And the simple fact that a self defined "liberal" talk radio network failed where conservative talk radio thrives and Foxnews is popular with conservatives, while liberals dont like it is proof enough of my claims there are plenty of outlets for liberals that talk radio will always fail for that side of the fence.

If any of those networks you listed were slanted conservative you can bet the liberals in this country would constantly rail against it like they do talk radio and Foxnews.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Hate radio serves the same function as the feeding Christians to lions or Gladiatorial games in ancient Rome. It is an outlet for the demented, where they can vicariously purge their sick emotions and feelings of animosity born of frustrated inferiority in a way that turns it away from destruction of the state. It is a tit to stick in their mouths to suck and bleed them of any need to evolve. It's a heat sink for fools.

You are an asshole but you should be proud. You are a pig but slop is gourmet. You are the bottom of the garbage can but the can is upside down.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
===================

Thanks,
John

CBS
NBC
ABC
CNN
FOX
PBS
C-SPAN

John

And then FINALLY provide the detailed example in the nightly news that I have asked for three times and that you have avoided. You made the generalized statement so you must be able to easily provide examples since you say it is so widespread amongst the networks.

John

John John John, you do not conform to the radical right therefore he can say whatever he wants and never provide proof, like he said, get over it.

craftech

Nov 26, 2000
===================

Thanks,
John

CBS
NBC
ABC
CNN
FOX
PBS
C-SPAN

John

John

John John John, you do not conform to the radical right therefore he can say whatever he wants and never provide proof, like he said, get over it.

If he were able to define a "liberal" and provide an example of this in network news(which I knew he couldn't) I was going to ask him to then define a "conservative" which he also wouldn't be able to do. We have dumbed down Americans in this country so much that they can no longer think. Thank the networks for THAT.

John

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Speaking of not thinking or comprehending.

I provided this as a definition

Then provided you with a reason why liberal talk radio fails due to the plethora of outlets liberals can get their information. Just because you dont want to think it can and does happen doesnt mean it isnt. Sticking your hands over your ears and screaming like a child doesnt make you enlightened.