Rand Paul gets assaulted by his neighbor

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
And isn't it funny that you yourself were 100% convinced that Paul was flaunting HOA rules and pissing off his neighbors for not following them. I don't see that you ever walked it back. Is this a direct reflection of your personal character and integrity? I think not. But the $64 question is how do you rationalize such a blatant double standard?

Um... neither of those views require me to stereotype my political opponents. I was WRONG. and nobody really cares because I didn't SMEAR anybody.

This is what I mean:
Just another example of an unhinged, fucked up in the head, violent Democrat voter trying to assault and injure a Republican public servant

Conservatives in this thread were using this as an example of Democrats being violent BECAUSE of their ideology. That is a smear and a lie and it must be walked back. Do you see the difference?

Reactions: ch33zw1z

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Personally I have no problem examining extending marriage rights from two consenting adults to multiples, but that undeniably has legal considerations for property division and child custody that were never present with two gays.

In practice though it is going to be polygamy 90% of the time, and particularly so in cultures where women have less social and economic power.

Also, could you not then end up in chain-relationships where hundreds of people end up in an unbroken chain of whatever-the-gender-neutral-word-for-polygamy-is relationships?

And how does it work with regard to immigration law? Could someone marry the entire population of China and bring them all over as spouses? (Edit - only the adults, of course).

While googling to find if there was a non-gendered word for polygamy (turns out it's 'polygamy', duh!) stumbled on this article, which seems an interesting warning of the downsides of the practice

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20170726-the-polygamous-town-facing-genetic-disaster

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Home invasion on it’s own is a bad & serious thing. That Senator probably won’t feel safe in his own house for a very long time if ever!

I disagree strongly with the senator’s politics but denounce violence! This act was wrong, criminal!

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
In practice though it is going to be polygamy 90% of the time, and particularly so in cultures where women have less social and economic power.

Also, could you not then end up in chain-relationships where hundreds of people end up in an unbroken chain of whatever-the-gender-neutral-word-for-polygamy-is relationships?

And how does it work with regard to immigration law? Could someone marry the entire population of China and bring them all over as spouses? (Edit - only the adults, of course).

While googling to find if there was a non-gendered word for polygamy (turns out it's 'polygamy', duh!) stumbled on this article, which seems an interesting warning of the downsides of the practice

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20170726-the-polygamous-town-facing-genetic-disaster
Agreed, but that's a separate discussion altogether. My point was merely that conservatives consider ourselves small government advocates, yet many of us are quite willing to grant government the power to veto two consenting adults' decision to wed based not on evidence, but on "eew" factor. As a small 'L' libertarian, conservative fiscally and in foreign policy but strongly liberal in personal freedom, I have to constantly watch for that tendency to allow or even support immoral things because they will never affect me or my loved ones. I had that exact argument with a boss who strongly supported making oral sex a felony because it would presumably never be used against "people like us". So while I have a kneejerk reaction against polygamy due to its history of abuse of women, I cannot necessarily blindly support government banning it without examining the issue and showing good reason.

Your link was quite informative if sad, thanks. I've seen similar stories of isolated Jewish villages, and the most famous case I recall is the spectacular Blue Fugate family of Kentucky, where greatly limited influx into the small mountain communities led to nominally unrelated families being sufficiently interbred as to carry very high levels of the same rare recessive gene that causes blue skin to to defective hemoglobin.

And Judge Roy Moore wishes to take strong exception to your "only the adults" bigotry. ;)

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Boucher charged with felony assault.

"Boucher, the US attorney said, allegedly saw Paul "stack brush onto a pile near the victim's property and 'had enough.'" According to the statement, Boucher has signed a plea agreement and has admitted the assault, denying any political motivation.
Boucher faces up to 10 years' imprisonment and a fine of up to $250,000, according to the US attorney."

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/19/politics/rand-paul-charges/index.html

Jan 25, 2011
Boucher charged with felony assault.

"Boucher, the US attorney said, allegedly saw Paul "stack brush onto a pile near the victim's property and 'had enough.'" According to the statement, Boucher has signed a plea agreement and has admitted the assault, denying any political motivation.
Boucher faces up to 10 years' imprisonment and a fine of up to $250,000, according to the US attorney."

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/19/politics/rand-paul-charges/index.html
Unpossible! Attack against conservatives!!!

Jan 25, 2011
So he's a tender little snowflake?
I don’t think so. He had six broken ribs. I had three fractured ribs in October and I have never had such pain and in ability to function in my life. I had to sit in the corner of a couch for about three weeks. No laying down, sleeping in half hour bursts at a time. I still have cracking and popping if I move wrong and suddensharp pain.

I’ll give him a pass on this one.

Reactions: pmv