Rambus loses suit

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Lets me get my arms arms around this, after a jury that deliberated for46 days or so in a split decision, that this must be clear cut decision beyond all debate about such future legal debates on who owns the patient on using trash can icons on computers and such.

In my mind, the legal team for rambus has only proved to be the more inept set of legal ass holes this time.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Couldn't have happened to a better set of assholes.

To me that was the beginning of trying to create a monopoly in the relatively early days of the PC. Intel was in colusion with those F's and attempted to specify their memory for their processor. All you would get was maybe a 5 percent real world improvement for double to triple the cost. I always thought that Rambus was a company that figured out how to make money by not actually building anything but making big bucks on patents.

Screw'm.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
To me that was the beginning of trying to create a monopoly in the realatively early days of the PC. Intel was in colusion with those F's and attempted to specify their memory for their processor. All you would get was maybe a 5 percent real world improvement for double to triple the cost. I always thought that Rambus was a company that figured out how to make money by not actually building anything but making big bucks on patents.

Screw'm.

I remember it well- Rambus & Intel arrogantly trying to DP the whole market & their interlocking stock swaps, foiled by independent chipset makers like ALI, SIS & VIA, also Intel's former partner AMD.

Too bad Intel didn't take more of a beatdown in the whole process... they were half of the attempt to bully the market, & their conduct towards board makers was atrocious.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
how long has this crap been going on?? is it really finished?

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
It's hilarious they were accusing Hynix and Micron for collusion after what they were doing with Intel.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Holy crap I wish I had some of those RMBS Nov 2011 $16 puts. They went from 13 cents to $9. LOL

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I remember the backlash against Rambus when I was into computers oh...10 years ago? I thought they had gone the way of the dodo years ago. Maybe this is the death nail in their coffin.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Samsung and Infineon are feeling like suckers today.

I was going to ask, they settled for 900M and 150M. Are they still going to pay it, or Rambus refund it, or will Sammy/Infineon file new suits over it?

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
Maybe we need litigation and law saying "you can patent a product, but not an idea".

Otherwise we will start getting patents on things as simple and every day as icons depicting a generic kitty-cat face or the "heart" symbol... :p

Nevermind "Well, I have a patent on the idea that we will have flying cars" and be able to claim it when some genius actually makes one.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I was going to ask, they settled for 900M and 150M. Are they still going to pay it, or Rambus refund it, or will Sammy/Infineon file new suits over it?

I'd assume any settlement includes a section that requires them to pay regardless of how other cases turn out. If I were on Samsungs board, somebody's head in legal is going to roll over settling for 1 billion dollars when Rambus's case failed.

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
Rambus should be ok for awhile, they are making RAM for the PS3 afterall. And other high end tech uses their RAM. They are expensive but when you get down to it they offer the highest performance most times [but for a massive ridiculous premium].

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I remember it well- Rambus & Intel arrogantly trying to DP the whole market & their interlocking stock swaps, foiled by independent chipset makers like ALI, SIS & VIA, also Intel's former partner AMD.

Too bad Intel didn't take more of a beatdown in the whole process... they were half of the attempt to bully the market, & their conduct towards board makers was atrocious.

Ironically, they probably would have taken a greater beat down had VIA and the like not come up with their SDRAM offerings. That rambus shit was expensive as hell, offered no real performance benefit and came out around when 2000 or XP was out IIRC which meant ram requirements had just seen a boost. A lot of people probably would have sat on their hands or gone AMD if there weren't VIA boards to stick an intel chip and sdram in.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Didn't a whole bunch of ATOTers buy up Rambus stock in hopes they'd win the case?