Question Ram upgrade for AMD 5900X processor (3200mhz to 3600mhz)

candasulas

Sep 30, 2020
Hello everyone.
I have a Ryzen 5900x processor and Asus Crosshair Hero VIII motherboard duo.

I was using G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (2X16GB) 3200Mhz DDR4 (F4-3200C16D-32GTZR) RAM kit in this system.
I replaced my rams with GSkill Trident Z Neo RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz DDR4 (F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC) model
to get a little more performance in programs and games such as Autocad, Solid, Photoshop, Lightroom.

What I want to ask is:
Have I made the right choice by switching to this memory?
Because there are also 4000mhz kits. But some users say they are having problems at 4000 mhz.

They say the best is 3600mhz as the ratio ratio is 1:1.
Also, as far as I know, ryzen processors give the best performance in 4 sticks of single side or 2 sticks of double side ram.
If I add another 2x16gb 3600 mhz ram in the future, will this performance deteriorate?

I would be glad if you help.

thigobr

Sep 4, 2016
You won't notice big gains with this change... Your old Kit was already Dual Rank and that's what makes the biggest difference on AM4 systems if you want to run things with just set and forget XMP settings.

Getting this out of the way if the intention is to get as much performance as possible that's a valid choice. You can make even more difference by tuning sub-timings (other than the main ones e.g. tRRDS, tRRDL, tFAW, tRFC, etc). But that's a very time consuming process because it will need hours of memory validation testing with softwares like TestMem5

Here's a good starting guide to read: https://github.com/integralfx/MemTestHelper/blob/oc-guide/DDR4 OC Guide.md

But there's much more than the above basic link. I recommend this OCN thread if you want to really get into tuning https://www.overclock.net/threads/official-amd-ryzen-ddr4-24-7-memory-stability-thread.1628751/

If you add another 32GB in the future you will probably still be able to run them at 3600MHz but it will be harder to go above that because 4 Dual Rank DIMMs put a lot of load on the memory controller.
Anyways, the scaling after 3600MHz is not that good and with you current kit your can probably make 3800MHz/1900MHz IF with some amount of work and hand tuning voltages/timings.

Reactions: Makaveli and Shmee

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Best would be to manually tweak the RAM for better performance. Do you know what chips those Gskill kits use? If they use the same, then you could just combine them and tweak from there. If they have good chips, like Samsung B die, I expect 3600MHz or even 3800MHz would be possible with tuning.

Of course, they may both have something completely different, in which case I would use whichever kit OC's better, and return/sell the other kit.

Reactions: Makaveli