Question RAM updated for ASUS model X551M laptop computer

wpshooter

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2004
Have a great little (although be in quite old) ASUS model X551M laptop computer.

I only came up 4gb of RAM. My question is would I get any "significant" benefit from change the 1 slot that it has from 4 to 8gb module ?

I am going to be replacing the mechanical hard drive in it with a SSD which I figure will give me a good boost in speed but was wondering if it would be worthwhile to upgrade the memory especially since the RAM (unlike the hard drive) is located on the bottom/down side of the MB, which would require that I remove the MB from the case. All this in light of the fact that I have done lot of work on desktop computers but have never opened up a laptop for maintenance. And yes, I have watched a video on the procedure.

Thanks.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I am not sure that it would be worth the effort to upgrade the RAM. Keep in mind this laptop only comes with a Celeron, or so my research tells me. But if you were to upgrade it and want to use it, SSD is a must, memory maybe, depending on what OS you are running. If running Windows currently, you may want to consider putting a light linux on the SSD instead. This would make it run faster and more secure, and your RAM, whether 4GB or 8GB, would go farther.

I personally would not be keen on running anything with a Celeron though. Even if it had Lubuntu or puppy linux.

legolas_tk

Apr 16, 2008
I upgrade my RAM on my Asus laptop from 8GB to 16GB and there was no more lag and my laptop is running smoothly. When I was running 8GB, it was laggy and it didn't handle multiple applications. So, 4GB to 8GB will definitely worth it.

wpshooter

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2004
Unfortunately, most everyone I have consulted with (including ASUS) tells me that the ASUS model X551M can only use 4gb module, can not according to what they say use an 8gb module in its 1 slot.

Looks like just a new CMOS battery for it.

Thanks.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Unfortunately, most everyone I have consulted with (including ASUS) tells me that the ASUS model X551M can only use 4gb module, can not according to what they say use an 8gb module in its 1 slot.

Looks like just a new CMOS battery for it.

Thanks.
If you can get a cheap 8GB DDR3 SODIMM, it doesn't hurt to try it. But, as mentioned before, it may be too much work taking it apart to be worth it still. Also, your memory support may depend on the CPU as well as the motherboard, and you mentioned that your model has a Celeron. This may be why the limit is 4GB?

Anyway, I would certainly recommend replacing the HDD with an SSD if you have not already. If you are going to be opening up the laptop anyway, to replace the CMOS battery, you may as well have an SSD if you plan to keep the laptop. No laptops these days should have spinners in them. I get that some applications, such as a NAS or server require the bulk storage of large capacity HDD's, but a laptop does not. 2.5" HDDs are far worse than quality 3.5in HDDs anyway.