Ram size vs. Ram speed

Discussion in 'Memory and Storage' started by CrossTrack, Nov 15, 2012.

1. CrossTrack

CrossTrack Junior Member

So I plan on getting a new laptop soon and the stock ram it has is going to be 8 gb 1600 mhz, but I have a previous ram upgrade in my current laptop of 16 gb 1333 mhz. I know that the actual difference in the speed is minuscule something like 2% or so in real time usage, but I was wondering if performance would be cut significantly if I were to use the slower speed ram or if I should stick with the stock 8 gb.

Basically, which would be better higher ram size or speed?

I know I didn't give a description of what I'd be using the laptop for, but I was just wondering what would be a better configuration generally.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - size speed Forum Date
    Second opinion or advice sought: Size of a paging file or swapfile in tiered storage Memory and Storage Jan 17, 2017
    RAM speed and kit size on MB ASUS M5A78L-M LX V2 Memory and Storage Aug 15, 2015
    Upgrading memory in Laptop...Speed/Size?? Memory and Storage Aug 2, 2013
    HDD size and system speed Memory and Storage Mar 31, 2013
    Sustained write speeds and allocation unit size Memory and Storage May 19, 2009

3. gpse

gpse Senior member

16GB, you wont notice the difference with 1333 to 1600 unless you run benchmarks.
    8gb to 16gb you WILL notice.

4. fffblackmage

fffblackmage Platinum Member

For the most part, 16GB of DDR3-1333 will be better than 8GB of DDR3-1600. Down the road, older computers can still be relatively useful if they had more ram to work with. Running out of ram just sucks.

5. lamedude

lamedude Golden Member

If gaming with Intel iGPU I'd say speed but its not a big deal. If gaming with AMD APU then definitely speed.

6. boxleitnerb

boxleitnerb Platinum Member

16GB is overkill unless you do lots of video editing or stuff like that and actually need that amount.

7. blastingcap

blastingcap Diamond Member

8. CrossTrack

CrossTrack Junior Member

It'd be an intel i7 processor with a dedicated gpu and I'd be somewhat gaming, but nothing super hardcore really. I also wouldn't be spending any money on the ram since I already have the 16gb ram and the 8gb would be stock in the laptop, so price isn't a factor.

9. boxleitnerb

boxleitnerb Platinum Member

Then go for the 16GB and use parts of it as a RAM-disk or so. Otherwise you most likely wouldn't notice any difference at all, no matter if you have 1333 or 1600 or 8GB or 16GB.

10. BFG10K

BFG10K Lifer

Unlikely, unless he has a very specific niche reason.

RAM size only matters when you don't have enough of it.

11. jacktesterson

jacktesterson Diamond Member

I have 8GB and never come close to using it all, including gaming. Depends on what your doing.

12. KentState

KentState Diamond Member

And mine was over 12GB used so it does depend.

13. j03h4gLund

j03h4gLund Senior member

I have 2x4GB sticks of ram(see below). I am having a minor stuttering issue with the game, Rift. I am going to get to the bottom of this. So far I have replaced my PSU and noticed 0 difference. My next step is to replace my 8GB 1600mhz ram w/ 16GB 2133mhz ram. I will let you know if I see my problem resolved with this change. Size + Speed = Win :)

14. nomadicspirit

nomadicspirit Junior Member

I realize this thread is about a month old since updates, but I was wondering if anyone had any information on speed vs size for the Vishera CPUs. I already know they are going slower than Intel, but I am building kind of an AMD budget machine. Found a few benchmarks on the Bulldozer, nothing on Piledriver as far as memory bandwidth usage is concerned. Not much point in paying for the extra memory speed if the CPU is not going to utilize it correctly is what I am thinking. Anyone have thoughts?

CPU I have is 8320
    Board is MSI 990FXA-GD80V2

15. zephyrprime

zephyrprime Diamond Member

If you're really worried about it, sell both sets and buy a faster set.

16. nomadicspirit

nomadicspirit Junior Member

In my current setup I am hitting full ram at 8GB when I have VMware running and Transcoding going on, the new one is definitely getting the 32GB treatment. Might as well spring for the speed, it cant hurt.

17. Deders

Deders Platinum Member

What would you be using the laptop for, apart from gaming?