Question ram overclocking

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hardcore_gamer29

Jul 24, 2013
i have corsair LPX 32gb 16x2 3600mhz my question is how far can i stretch it currently it is at 3766mhz 19 23 23 44 if i clock it to 4000mhz will there be any difference in gaming plus windows open close programs browsers etc.? also will it decrease life of rams my motherboard is msi z490 tomahawk

hardcore_gamer29

Jul 24, 2013
i have connected both cpu pins but it was too much painful to remove 2+4 pin then installing 8 pinx1 then 4 pin how do i make sure they are correctly installed as socket is too tight

maluckey1

Mar 15, 2018
Everything points to the keyboard at this point, so borrow someone's known-good keyboard to test the theory, and you may have this solved.

As far as connectors being tight, make certain that it's the right connector. It's not that hard to mix them up (done it myself a few times). That being said, ALL my connectors are so tight that I fear breaking something if I ever have to remove them. I use a light application of dielectric grease to make it less of a chore, and even with that, sometimes they are a pain in the ass to work with.

M

Reactions: hardcore_gamer29

hardcore_gamer29

Jul 24, 2013
Everything points to the keyboard at this point, so borrow someone's known-good keyboard to test the theory, and you may have this solved.

As far as connectors being tight, make certain that it's the right connector. It's not that hard to mix them up (done it myself a few times). That being said, ALL my connectors are so tight that I fear breaking something if I ever have to remove them. I use a light application of dielectric grease to make it less of a chore, and even with that, sometimes they are a pain in the ass to work with.

M
things we have tried so far but no help
reinstalled windows
changed keyboard just now but same problem
reinstalled audio and video driver same problem
i also tried uninstalling usb drivers from device manager no help
i disabled cortana
disabled geforce experience, windows built in broadcasting, game capture etc.
tried old nvidia driver
temperatures are fine for everything
this fps drop only and only drops if i touch volume keys on keyboard lol
now the thing is this was not from the beginning since i built pc on 28th december
suddenly how it came up do not know the reason
also installed windows old version like 2004 and 1909 did not work
NOW I CHANGED KEYBOARD STILL SAME SO, KEYBOARD IS ALSO NOT A PROBLEM
GUESS HAVE TO LIVE WITH IT

Last edited:

hardcore_gamer29

Jul 24, 2013

M
how do i verifty if my 4 pin cpu connector is correctly in place as with 8 pin only it can boot

maluckey1

Mar 15, 2018
If your CPU isn't overclocked you should be fine with a single connector. That being said, it should boot with both connected. The manual for your PSU should tell you which leads to use for second CPU plug.

M

hardcore_gamer29

Jul 24, 2013
If your CPU isn't overclocked you should be fine with a single connector. That being said, it should boot with both connected. The manual for your PSU should tell you which leads to use for second CPU plug.

M
after overclocking again, i reinstalled audio and video driver but some applications are crshing like chorme plugins and ea origin is also giving some errors : unexpected error occured but in stress test all is fine what to do

hardcore_gamer29

Jul 24, 2013

M
CPU CPU Clock Motherboard Chipset Memory CL-RCD-RP-RAS Read Speed
10x Core i9-10900K HT 4900 MHz [ TRIAL VERSION ] Z490 Ext. Dual DDR4-4000 20-25-25-47 CR2 54993 MB/s

CPU CPU Clock Motherboard Chipset Memory CL-RCD-RP-RAS Read Speed
10x Core i9-10900K HT 4900 MHz [ TRIAL VERSION ] Z490 Ext. Dual DDR4-4000 18-23-23-45 CR2 54214 MB/s

why score decreased when i tighten timing?

maluckey1

Mar 15, 2018
Just caught this post. Sorry!

There can be a dozen or so reasons. The simplest is that Aida results should be an average of several runs. I've seen decent sized variations in tests. Another reason is that the RAM timings are jacked up.

With your RAM and current speed, try DDR 4000 with 18-22-22-42-64 @ +/-1.35v . It should be fine, BUT.... Reset your BIOS before making the final change to eliminate any possibility of a corrupted save causing issues. Boot default into windows, then set the RAM timings and voltage and see what happens. You should also set the VCCIO and VCCSA lower than what your board has auto set (use OCCT information to check). My RAM/MOBO setup is stable at 4133mhz at 1.35v and VCCIO/VCCSA closer to 1.27-ish volts. It was unstable when VCCIO/VCCSA was on Auto.

that's 64...not 654

M

hardcore_gamer29

Jul 24, 2013
Just caught this post. Sorry!

There can be a dozen or so reasons. The simplest is that Aida results should be an average of several runs. I've seen decent sized variations in tests. Another reason is that the RAM timings are jacked up.

With your RAM and current speed, try DDR 4000 with 18-22-22-42-64 @ +/-1.35v . It should be fine, BUT.... Reset your BIOS before making the final change to eliminate any possibility of a corrupted save causing issues. Boot default into windows, then set the RAM timings and voltage and see what happens. You should also set the VCCIO and VCCSA lower than what your board has auto set (use OCCT information to check). My RAM/MOBO setup is stable at 4133mhz at 1.35v and VCCIO/VCCSA closer to 1.27-ish volts. It was unstable when VCCIO/VCCSA was on Auto.

that's 64...not 654

M
thnx for replying so, how should i decrease vccio/vccs i mean -1 or i can directly go -3 -2 etc and what these values are for? occt information means?

maluckey1

Mar 15, 2018
VCCIO = CPU Input/output pins
VCCSA = System Agent. It is the voltage to RAM controller, PCI Express controller and a few others

These are normally set by formulas....which manufacturers adjust to fit every conceivable moronic situation. For the enthusiast and overclockers they're not always realistic, and may set voltage waaaay more than is needed, sometimes affecting stability.

For example, I'm tinkering with my setup this week. It's perfectly stable so far.

CPU is 10700k @ 5.0 GHZ all cores @ 1.31v (in BIOS)
RAM= 32 GB (2x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR 3600 RAM @ 4133mhz

RAM SETTINGS:
-1.36v (in BIOS)
--Command Rate 2t
--18-21-21-40-63 (secondary and tertiary timings are all "auto")
--724 tRFC
--VCCIO is 1.24v (under load)
--VCCSA is 1.27v (under load)

Both VCCIO and VCCSA were at 1.37v under load when set to "auto"

Your setup may require different settings, but these are likely doable with minor tweaking

M

hardcore_gamer29

Jul 24, 2013
VCCIO = CPU Input/output pins
VCCSA = System Agent. It is the voltage to RAM controller, PCI Express controller and a few others

These are normally set by formulas....which manufacturers adjust to fit every conceivable moronic situation. For the enthusiast and overclockers they're not always realistic, and may set voltage waaaay more than is needed, sometimes affecting stability.

For example, I'm tinkering with my setup this week. It's perfectly stable so far.

CPU is 10700k @ 5.0 GHZ all cores @ 1.31v (in BIOS)
RAM= 32 GB (2x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR 3600 RAM @ 4133mhz

RAM SETTINGS:
-1.36v (in BIOS)
--Command Rate 2t
--18-21-21-40-63 (secondary and tertiary timings are all "auto")
--724 tRFC
--VCCIO is 1.24v (under load)
--VCCSA is 1.27v (under load)

Both VCCIO and VCCSA were at 1.37v under load when set to "auto"

Your setup may require different settings, but these are likely doable with minor tweaking

M
i am not able to find vccio and vccsa in bios in msi z490 tomahawk

maluckey1

Mar 15, 2018
Lowering these values won't affect lifespan, but MAY increase stability and reduce heat. As I mentioned above, most all Z490 motherboards use too much voltage for many different BIOS settings. When Overclocking, the lowest stable/acceptable voltage is ALWAYS best.

An observation...VCCSA and VCCIO don't appear to be purely set by voltage/calculated load. On the Z490 boards that I've helped with (all ASUS and Gigabyte) , CPU and DRAM voltage had virtually no effect on VCCIO or VCCSA voltages. This suggests a lookup table or formula (maybe several methods?) is what sets the values, and not necessarily referencing voltages from other sensors. I'm guessing it's the same for all manufacturers.

M

hardcore_gamer29

Jul 24, 2013
Lowering these values won't affect lifespan, but MAY increase stability and reduce heat. As I mentioned above, most all Z490 motherboards use too much voltage for many different BIOS settings. When Overclocking, the lowest stable/acceptable voltage is ALWAYS best.

An observation...VCCSA and VCCIO don't appear to be purely set by voltage/calculated load. On the Z490 boards that I've helped with (all ASUS and Gigabyte) , CPU and DRAM voltage had virtually no effect on VCCIO or VCCSA voltages. This suggests a lookup table or formula (maybe several methods?) is what sets the values, and not necessarily referencing voltages from other sensors. I'm guessing it's the same for all manufacturers.

M
ok i have decreased so to 1.37 it was 1.405 llol and io to 1.270 should i decrease more

maluckey1

Mar 15, 2018
1.405v! WOW!

Test after each time you lower the voltage. If you get errors, return it to the last voltage that was stable. I'm guessing that the VCCSA will be able to run fine at around 1.27-1.29v and the VCCIO should be fine around 1.23-1.25V

TEST TEST TEST! It gets old, but never assume that your setup is stable until you run a few stress tests. OCCT "Power" is a good one to run, whilst trying to play games (you won't get good FPS!). It should stress the system heavier than anything synthetic.

M

hardcore_gamer29

Jul 24, 2013
1.405v! WOW!

Test after each time you lower the voltage. If you get errors, return it to the last voltage that was stable. I'm guessing that the VCCSA will be able to run fine at around 1.27-1.29v and the VCCIO should be fine around 1.23-1.25V

TEST TEST TEST! It gets old, but never assume that your setup is stable until you run a few stress tests. OCCT "Power" is a good one to run, whilst trying to play games (you won't get good FPS!). It should stress the system heavier than anything synthetic.

M
i set io to 1.36 but when i shutdown pc and swtched off main power plug then again powered on and pressed start on case nothing happened i tired 2 times then again switched off main power then again i pressed start then it worked? is this io and sa value?

maluckey1

Mar 15, 2018
Only lower the smallest amount available, in-between tests.

To me this doesn't appear to be SA and IO voltages. Unless they are significantly off target, you still boot, then crash shortly after boot. The symptom is COMMON with DDR training. The RAM doesn't always train after each setting change, or if training is disabled. When it does, it needs the training voltage and RAM voltage to be close to what it expects before adjusting timings. If it's off by more than expected....it won't boot. MSI boards are more sensitive than ASUS and Gigabyte on this.

Mar

hardcore_gamer29

Jul 24, 2013
Only lower the smallest amount available, in-between tests.

To me this doesn't appear to be SA and IO voltages. Unless they are significantly off target, you still boot, then crash shortly after boot. The symptom is COMMON with DDR training. The RAM doesn't always train after each setting change, or if training is disabled. When it does, it needs the training voltage and RAM voltage to be close to what it expects before adjusting timings. If it's off by more than expected....it won't boot. MSI boards are more sensitive than ASUS and Gigabyte on this.

Mar
these are final values if i increase decrease anything.....occt throws errors

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-01-22 at 11.24.00 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-01-22 at 11.24.00 AM.jpeg
    101.3 KB · Views: 4
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-01-22 at 11.24.01 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-01-22 at 11.24.01 AM.jpeg
    112.7 KB · Views: 4

maluckey1

Mar 15, 2018
Odd, and unusually high for the system agent voltage. Your timings are a little odd (I'd use 17-21-21-40 or 18-22-22-42, but your settings should not cause this.

-Do I see you CPU voltages on Auto?
-Does this mean the CPU is on auto as well?

Could be a factor. Testing has shown that the auto setting isn't even close to optimal for CPU. It very well may affect the stability to where the board needs that much SA voltage.

My system is very similar in hardware to yours (other than GPU), and the RAM is identical. I'm running out of ideas

M

hardcore_gamer29

Jul 24, 2013
Odd, and unusually high for the system agent voltage. Your timings are a little odd (I'd use 17-21-21-40 or 18-22-22-42, but your settings should not cause this.

-Do I see you CPU voltages on Auto?
-Does this mean the CPU is on auto as well?

Could be a factor. Testing has shown that the auto setting isn't even close to optimal for CPU. It very well may affect the stability to where the board needs that much SA voltage.

My system is very similar in hardware to yours (other than GPU), and the RAM is identical. I'm running out of ideas

M
yes i have not oced my cpu its auto also if decrease ram timing to 16 21 21 40 then it throws errors in occt

maluckey1

Mar 15, 2018
1.37v SA isn't going kill anything (and still better than it was). I'm still thinking that there's something that we're missing, that's causing the SA to be that high.

Regardless of the SA situation, you're stable @ DDR 4000 and you have:

- good timings
-good latency
-good DRAM voltage

I call it a win so far

M

hardcore_gamer29

Jul 24, 2013
1.37v SA isn't going kill anything (and still better than it was). I'm still thinking that there's something that we're missing, that's causing the SA to be that high.

Regardless of the SA situation, you're stable @ DDR 4000 and you have:

- good timings
-good latency
-good DRAM voltage

I call it a win so far

M
thanks for staying here for son long in this thread now i have settled with 4133mhz 17 22 22 45 1.38volts and i am happy with this thanks

hardcore_gamer29

Jul 24, 2013
this is finale:
cPU CPU Clock Motherboard Chipset Memory CL-RCD-RP-RAS Read Speed
10x Core i9-10900K HT 4900 MHz [ TRIAL VERSION ] Z490 Ext. Dual DDR4-4133 17-22-22-45 CR2 56474 MB/s

write:

CPU CPU Clock Motherboard Chipset Memory CL-RCD-RP-RAS Write Speed
10x Core i9-10900K HT 4900 MHz [ TRIAL VERSION ] Z490 Ext. Dual DDR4-4133 17-22-22-45 CR2 61064 MB/s

memory copy:

CPU CPU Clock Motherboard Chipset Memory CL-RCD-RP-RAS Copy Speed
10x Core i9-10900K HT 4900 MHz [ TRIAL VERSION ] Z490 Ext. Dual DDR4-4133 17-22-22-45 CR2 55153 MB/s

latency

CPU CPU Clock Motherboard Chipset Memory CL-RCD-RP-RAS Latency
Core i9-10900K 4900 MHz [ TRIAL VERSION ] Z490 Ext. Dual DDR4-4133 17-22-22-45 CR2 50.5 ns