RAM not running at correct speed

Cyrus9008

Dec 21, 2011
I have some good Kingston RAM that's supposed to be running @ 1600MHz; in the bios when I built my rig(a few months ago) the BIOS was able to detect it running correctly at 1600MHz but when I check CPUz it says the RAM is running at 667MHz @ double data rate which I know is 1333MHz.

I don't understand if the BIOS shows it's running at 1600MHz like it should be how come in Windows it's only running at 1333MHz, it's not like I'm trying to OC anything here I haven't messed with the voltages because I shouldn't need to. The BIOS say's it's running at the correct speed so I assume it has to be something with windows? Any suggestions?

My MOBO is an ASUS P8 Z68-m Pro with a core i5 2500k w/ 8 gigs of RAM

Thanks in advance

Sohaltang

Apr 13, 2013
Check the bios timings. Sometimes it will ID the RAM by name and set the speed at another. I think you need to manually change the settings to 1600. I had the exact same issue not long ago

Cyrus9008

Dec 21, 2011
Check the bios timings. Sometimes it will ID the RAM by name and set the speed at another. I think you need to manually change the settings to 1600. I had the exact same issue not long ago

The bios has them set to 1600, I made sure of that. There wasn't a need to manually set them to 1600 because the BIOS automatically recognized what speed the RAM was. The BIOS also recognized the correct timings as well. they're rated at 9-9-9-24 and that's exactly how they're set in the BIOS I didn't need to change those either. I'm really confused on what to actually do I can't find a solution to the problem.