Ram Disks (Mods: Not sure where to put this; move if you want)

ViperMagic

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2001
I need some help, I want to use a RAM Disk on my system, running XP Home, but I cant find a good one. If possile I'd like it to show up in My computer as a local disk. Thanks

Mods: Wasn't sure to if i was to put this in GH (Its kinda hardware) Software (a little dead there, but it is software) or OS (Its workin with the OS, right?) So I stuck it here

Edited for wording

Maetryx

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2001
Mods, I'm going to go ahead and throw my weight behind ViperMagic. I also give my permission for you to move this thread. If you want to. Of if you find it necessary.

Anyway, it's okay with me if you moderate here.

Superwormy

Golden Member
Feb 7, 2001
First off, why do you want to use a RAM disk? You lose everything on it when you restart or shutdown your computer...

Second off, if you want anything of substantial size you'd need a lot of RAM used up...

Third off, check these out:

linky one

linky two

Ciber

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2000
i think he wants to use the ramdisk as the swap file.....i guess......

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
The link Ozma provided copies the contents of RAM onto the hard disk so that when rebooting, it can reload those contents back into RAM every time. So apparently, there isn't a problem with losing data when you shut down. Pretty damn cool program :)

ViperMagic

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2001

<< Mods, I'm going to go ahead and throw my weight behind ViperMagic. I also give my permission for you to move this thread. If you want to. Of if you find it necessary.

Anyway, it's okay with me if you moderate here.
>>

I was waiting for this. thats not what I meant and you damn well know it. Thanks to everyone else in the thread

And that was pretty funny

ViperMagic

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2001
I want to use the ram disk so I can sit there and load things super-quick. I know I lose everything

flot

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
I know what viper means. I've been wondering about this for a while. I mean, I pretty frequently am waiting on my hard drive for something or other when I'm running windows. (and 90% of what I do is repetitve: load IE, telnet, etc).

If something could magically move my \winnt directory to RAM (hell, a gig of ram is cheap these days, and I KNOW win2k will fit in a gig of space) then presumably my system would get pretty damn quick.

erikiksaz

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 1999
I think the one from SuperSpeed is pretty good. It does what i want it to do -- IE browser cache. There is a very noticable difference, although not on the AT forums anyways :p

<----non subscriber, so things are slow as hell here, ramdisk or not.

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001

<< Mods: Wasn't sure to if i was to put this in GH (Its kinda hardware) Software (a little dead there, but it is software) or OS (Its workin with the OS, right?) So I stuck it here >>

What are they going to do? Lock it for being off topic?