Question RAM and HDD upgrade doubt.

Ashokaraj

Jul 6, 2020
I have ASUS K53S laptop ( K53SV SX562D)(Intel HM65 Express mobile chipset) which i brought in 2012. It's configuration is 8 GB RAM (1333MHz DDR3-2 piece of 4 GB) and 750 GB SATA HDD. I want to upgrade to 1600MHz 16GB DDR3 RAM and 2 TB HDD. Will Intel HP65 chipset board support 1600MHz RAM and 2TB HDD? Please check and let me now?? Thanks. By Ashok

I have another doubt.

what is the pin type of RAM in my laptop ? Also, let me know, if HP65 chipset support 32GB RAM. 16GB (16GB x2) of 1600 MHZ each.

Will i support only 1 TB HDD? Is there any specific connectivity in HDD that i need to look before purchasing the 2 TB HDD?

Last edited:

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
It takes a SODIMM format module. The official limit is 8GB in memory as 2x4GB modules. Some folks have gotten the K53SV to work with 16GB of memory. One account I saw was somebody who was successful using 2x8GB ADATA AD3S1600W8G11-B modules. Those modules are made in a 16x512M chip format, so YMMV if chips in a 8x1G chip format will work. The laptop does support 1600Mhz memory.

There is no chance you can get 32GB in that machine.

Regarding the hard drive, it should accept a 2TB SATA laptop hard drive.

My suggestion would be, though, to try to find a DVD drive caddy (you can probably get one on eBay) for a 2nd hard drive to replace the DVD drive. Move the original hard drive there, then purchase a 500GB or 1TB SSD to install as a boot drive. You might end up with a little less space going with a 500GB SSD for boot, but you'd have a far more pleasant user experience with an SSD boot drive. If you still need a DVD drive on occasion, you can always pick up a cheap USB external DVD drive.

Reactions: Ashokaraj

Charlie22911

Mar 19, 2005
It takes a SODIMM format module. The official limit is 8GB in memory as 2x4GB modules. Some folks have gotten the K53SV to work with 16GB of memory. One account I saw was somebody who was successful using 2x8GB ADATA AD3S1600W8G11-B modules. Those modules are made in a 16x512M chip format, so YMMV if chips in a 8x1G chip format will work. The laptop does support 1600Mhz memory.

There is no chance you can get 32GB in that machine.

Regarding the hard drive, it should accept a 2TB SATA laptop hard drive.

My suggestion would be, though, to try to find a DVD drive caddy (you can probably get one on eBay) for a 2nd hard drive to replace the DVD drive. Move the original hard drive there, then purchase a 500GB or 1TB SSD to install as a boot drive. You might end up with a little less space going with a 500GB SSD for boot, but you'd have a far more pleasant user experience with an SSD boot drive. If you still need a DVD drive on occasion, you can always pick up a cheap USB external DVD drive.

I second this, an SSD is a MASSIVE upgrade over spinning rust. If you need space, the inconvenience of having an external drive is well worth the upgrade in usability IMO.
What do you use the computer for? For web browsing, media consumption, and Word/Excel/PowerPoint you aren’t likely to see a big increase in performance from having more memory. Certainly nothing near what you’d see with even a cheap SSD. So I’d save that for last, since there is no guarantee it will even work in your laptop.

Ashokaraj

Jul 6, 2020
I second this, an SSD is a MASSIVE upgrade over spinning rust. If you need space, the inconvenience of having an external drive is well worth the upgrade in usability IMO.
What do you use the computer for? For web browsing, media consumption, and Word/Excel/PowerPoint you aren’t likely to see a big increase in performance from having more memory. Certainly nothing near what you’d see with even a cheap SSD. So I’d save that for last, since there is no guarantee it will even work in your laptop.

Will my laptop ASUS K53S accept Seagate 2 Tb Firecuda Hybrid Harddrive?
Can i buy (2x8GB) 8GB DDR3 1600MHz unbuffered RAM from ALKETRON? It cost Rupees 5800 for 2x8GB Modules which is very cheap with 3 yrs warrenty...

Ashokaraj

Jul 6, 2020
I a more than 100% satisfied with my ASUS K53S laptop as it running withoutany issue since 2013. Due u water drip i was forced to change my keyboard once. Replace battery once

Charlie22911

Mar 19, 2005
I would stay far away from any modern Seagate 2.5" mechanical drives, there is a very good reason they are called "the bread and butter of data recovery". Google 'Seagate rosewood' if there is any doubt about what I say. Rosewood is the code name for the platform their 2.5" drives are built on by the way.

Anyhow you would be better served by a true SSD, hybrid drives come with a list of caveats and there is a reason they aren't really popular. One of the big ones being the Firecuda only has 8GB of "cache". And you have to access data multiple times for it to get cached in the first place. Once that paltry 8GB is full, the oldest blocks of data will be evicted and you start the process over again.
If you are going to go through the effort of migrating your data, don't do yourself a disservice by not getting an SSD; that's my opinion anyway.

ASUS specifies that laptop for a *maximum* of 8GB, so if you purchase that memory it will have to be at your own risk. If you take what ASUS says at face value, it won't work.