Rainbow Six Vegas worth $19.99

Sniper82

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Is it worth getting for online play? I beat the single player at a friends house but never got to try online play. I just seen it for $19.99 at gamestop and thought about picking it up but wanted some input on it first since online play would be the only reason for me buying it. Does it have quite a few ppl playing?

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
I have the same question, just in regards to the co-op abiity of it... If your rig can handle this, does co-op gameplay work well?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
SP is pretty cool.
MP is kinda meh.

Been playing co-op with a friend lately. it can be ok, but the way they did the enemy encounters sucks. it's basically triggered by your location, so enemies won't appear until you reach certain points on a map.

its not so bad in co-op story mode but its very bad in co-op terrorist hunt mode. its like 10 enemies just spawn immediately once you reach a certain point and makes it near impossible to play.

Apr 29, 2007
rly? i haven't noticed that in co-op terr hunt, and have been enjoying mp more so than sp. i love the customization. the players dont tend to be very skillful and the game isn't very competitive, but i like playing it when im not in the mood for quake. the game is slightly buggy and it needs a strong as hell rig to run. with the rig in sig, i can run it maxed on 1680x1050 at 60fps (but with no aa/af, as i dont rly care about taht and it isnt even in the menu). for $20 i'd pick it up (and i did :D).

Randum

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2004
The 360 version has a pretty thick online community but my clan for PC gaming all picked it up when it came out..and I just heard from everyone that Ubisoft kind of gave up with MP support....so that killed any notion of me getting it for the pc...
I suggest if you want MP, go for the console version...(ps3 is coming out this month I beleive)

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
If you have NEVER played any of the previous three real Rainbow 6 games (1, 2, 3), then for $20, go for it. However, if you have, approach with caution or just forget about it. The difficulty and unforgiving (notice I didn't say realistic;)) nature of the originals was the serie's signature; as was the customizability of team members, weapons, uniforms, etc. Vegas is an arcade shoot 'em up with a whole team of 3 (or 4, don't remember) with a lot of flash.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Originally posted by: tigersty1e
How would my rig run this game in 1680 x 1050?

What kind of settings?

My previous rig was similar to yours and I had to knock it down a few notches to get playable frame rates. The system in my sig play it very well. Only dif in the system in my sig and the previous one was the CPU, Old one was a S939 X2 3800+ and the old system ram was DDR400. The vid card and everything else is the same as in sig and the game plays great at 1680x1050. But, even on mdium settings the game will look great.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Imp
If you have NEVER played any of the previous three real Rainbow 6 games (1, 2, 3), then for $20, go for it. However, if you have, approach with caution or just forget about it. The difficulty and unforgiving (notice I didn't say realistic;)) nature of the originals was the serie's signature; as was the customizability of team members, weapons, uniforms, etc. Vegas is an arcade shoot 'em up with a whole team of 3 (or 4, don't remember) with a lot of flash.

I hated 3 (Raven Shield), really liked Vegas.

I4AT

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2006
I got an OEM copy with my Brisbane CPU, I played through most of the SP and it was alright. I never actually tried the MP on the PC version, but I have played co-op offline with a friend on the 360 version which was fun.

I'm selling my copy if you're interested, dumped my AM2 rig and now I'm on an AGP card with no SM 3.0 so I couldn't run the game even if I wanted to.

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
Originally posted by: pontifex

*Sigh*. To me, Raven Shield was the last actual Rainbow Six (by that I mean, in the style of Rainbow Six 1).

LittleNemoNES

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
hell no. Online is none existant and the performance is TERRIBLE. I have Core 2 @ 3.5 Ghz , 2gb ram and x1900xtx Crossfire and get crap performance. You NEED an 8800 GTX to make the game run well and even then it's not worth it.
It almost feels emulated on the PC...

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005

Blasphemer...;)

Maybe you can fill me in on why Rainbow 6 3 sucked. I loved it, and think I went through the SP a total of 3 times. Missions were interesting with a good variety. Difficulty was borderline murderous, but was "classic" Rainbow 6. Althought I did want to start killing people in real-life after screwing up the bank mission for the 20th time... And it was amazing to be able to finally see your weapon...

RS8

Oct 14, 2007
Originally posted by: gersson
hell no. Online is none existant and the performance is TERRIBLE. I have Core 2 @ 3.5 Ghz , 2gb ram and x1900xtx Crossfire and get crap performance. You NEED an 8800 GTX to make the game run well and even then it's not worth it.

had to bump this thread because I finally got around to playing R6V and Jesus, it runs terrible on my quad66 and 8800GT.

Mandin62

Mar 24, 2007
i would save your money. i recently reinstalled it just for to finish the story. and it still runs like crap. i dont know what it is but it just doesnt run well at all. the game play isnt bad and it is a fairly interesting game if you can get past the point that it runs horrible, and that its a pretty lackluster console port. co-op is kinda cool to for a while.

oh just so you dont think i am one of those people who has a crap system and doesnt understand why i cant run all my games maxed.
E6600 @ 3.4
8800 GT 512
4 GB Ram
Vista x64

this game should not run like it does. i dont know why it does.

EvilComputer92

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2004

Agreed. Rainbow Six Vegas was the first Rainbow Six game I actually liked. The rest were really slow paced and boring.

NYHoustonman

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 2002
Just to confuse you a bit more, I enjoyed it a lot, had no problems running it, and would definitely recommend it for $20.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by: RS8
Originally posted by: gersson

had to bump this thread because I finally got around to playing R6V and Jesus, it runs terrible on my quad66 and 8800GT.

wth settings are you guys trying to run it at? my E6550 + 8600 it runs perfect. I have most settings medium and the resolution maxed for the 19 LCD I'm running it on. Graphics look killer and plays flawlessly.

tigersty1e

Golden Member
Dec 13, 2004
This game is garbage.

Runs like crap and horrible gameplay...

I hate how your teammates shout stupid one-liners..."bagged and tagged"

Were all getting shot from everywhere and I kill a badguy only I could've seen and they say, "wow, great shot mate"

"anyone keeping score?"... who says this in a life and death situation?

cheapherk

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2000
It's an UGLY game. I didn't expect such crappy graphics. That was enough to disappoint me.

fallenangel99

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2001
The game ran great on my machine (is there a website that will tell my specs and i use that website as a signature). fun game, but iw ouldnt pay $20 for it.

there are a few few games i would really buy:

RPG
Sports

High replayability = I'll buy (of course, there are exceptions. When CC had its $10 game sale last week, I bought over 6 games!)