Raging about recent Mobos I've purchased

Belmont

Jun 6, 2009
Alright check this out:

In the past half year I have purchased two motherboards. The first being the EVGA E760 and the second being the Asus Rampage III Extreme. Both of these motherboards had some bad issues. On the e760 the it died after some OCing (about 30 mins into OCing with voltages that aren't even high). The Asus which I got in the mail today has the same problem my E760 had after it died. No POST with fans spinning and it saying the CPU is the problem even though it works in other boards.

Why is it that recently everyone seems to have issues with high end boards being DOA? It is really making me angry because I have put so much money into my computer and haven't been able to use it since October -_-.

either way my RMAd E760 should be back in about 2 weeks...if it doesn't work im going to go ape shit.

perdomot

Golden Member
Dec 7, 2004
I hear you. My Asus P55 LX mobo suddenly died after 3 days and I had to RMA it for a refund. I checked out some reviews on newegg and both asus and gigabyte have been having a lot of issues with their boards lately.

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
I've been checking out the same user reviews of LGA 1366 boards and I'm kinda freaked out. Run of bad boards from several manufacturers, esp. Gigabyte, whom I consider reliable typically.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
The Asus which I got in the mail today has the same problem my E760 had after it died. No POST with fans spinning and it saying the CPU is the problem even though it works in other boards.

So, two boards from different manufacturers having exact same problem... maybe something else is causing it? Try different RAM.

Regarding user reviews of DOA boards, I'm positive that a good number of them are not actually DOA but using incompatible RAM (or some other problem). That's not necessarily a good thing though because most end users don't have spare hardware like I do to troubleshoot a no POST situation. Seriously, I've seen RAM, sometimes graphics cards and even PSUs work with one motherboard perfectly, but not on another.

PCTC2

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2007
So, two boards from different manufacturers having exact same problem... maybe something else is causing it? Try different RAM.

Regarding user reviews of DOA boards, I'm positive that a good number of them are not actually DOA but using incompatible RAM (or some other problem). That's not necessarily a good thing though because most end users don't have spare hardware like I do to troubleshoot a no POST situation. Seriously, I've seen RAM, sometimes graphics cards and even PSUs work with one motherboard perfectly, but not on another.

Plus, most people only seem to post bad reviews because they're irritated, but when you are satisfied, you are less likely to review. For every thousand of bad reviews about ASUS, you have to remember they sell hundred of thousands of motherboards and millions of computers. You have to weigh how many bad reviews there are and how many boards they sell.

I've had 3 EVGA boards, an Asus, a Gigabyte, Zotac, Intel, and an Abit. I've never had any problems short of the 680i (which was a iffy board at best from EVERY NVIDIA board manufacturer). I agree with Zap that it could be another component causing the issue. It could be an iffy power supply with dirty power that's killing your boards. It's happened to me (it was a shorted power supply through a bad fan).

Belmont

Jun 6, 2009

I feel like you are severely underestimating my proficiency with hardware. Yes the only part I do not have to switch out is any DDR3 RAM other than my CMT6GX3M3A1600C6. I tested them in my buddies rig after my e760 died when I was checking for hardware failure ( I checked all my other parts).

I do see what you are saying about the reviews, but even then why would this be happening. I've never had this happen to any AMD boards I've ever purchased. It could be luck, but i'm still mad.

Also the E-mail ASUS sent me back just said to call warranty support and that was it... while EVGA was able to do everything online.

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001

Sorry, I agree with the above. I've punished hardware and have rarely had an issue. If you do "the exact same thing" and get the same result, well, that's the definition of insanity.
Albert Einstein
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

I feel like you are severely underestimating my proficiency with hardware. Yes the only part I do not have to switch out is any DDR3 RAM other than my CMT6GX3M3A1600C6. I tested them in my buddies rig after my e760 died when I was checking for hardware failure ( I checked all my other parts).

I do see what you are saying about the reviews, but even then why would this be happening. I've never had this happen to any AMD boards I've ever purchased. It could be luck, but i'm still mad.

Also the E-mail ASUS sent me back just said to call warranty support and that was it... while EVGA was able to do everything online.

Belmont

Jun 6, 2009
Well by exact same problem I should define that - it wont POST. Also my E760 worked when I got it and degraded quickly while overclocking which eventually wouldn't POST. While this one wouldn't POST out of the box.

Belmont

Jun 6, 2009
Are you prepping and cooling the board sufficiently? When I punish my hardware, I go above and beyond the OEM cooling solutions.

I make sure there is good heatsink contact on the chipsets, I use better TIM and add extra fans:
http://img403.imageshack.us/i/1002054u.jpg/

11a8r2p.gif

Belmont

Jun 6, 2009
Sigh it just donned on me. A few days before I hooked up my WC loop I switched PSUs. That also happened to be the first PSU I hooked up.

MangoX

Feb 13, 2001
I feel ya. I recently had a Gigabyte P55 mobo that died after a mild 3.6ghz overclock.