RAF intercepts eight Russian bombers (Tupolev-95 Bear) as Putin provokes West

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Originally posted by: Common Courtesy
Originally posted by: Aimster
Russia spends plenty on research. It spends little on actually buying that research.

It wants to develop military equipment that is better than the U.S and sell it.
And up to this point, they have failed in building better mousetraps.

Within real world testing, they are always a generation behind in technology.

Only once have they had a technological lead - back in the late 60s

Doesn't Russia make better:

4th generation fighters
better tanks
better air defense systems (S-400)

What do you think?

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Russia spends plenty on research. It spends little on actually buying that research.

4th generation fighters - No
better tanks - No
better air defense systems (S-400) - Maybe

What do you think?

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003

What about the Su-35?
T-90 tank?

You don't think they can go head--to-head against U.S aircraft/tanks?

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org

What about the Su-35?
T-90 tank?

The abrahms is far far ahead of the T90.

Hell even our infantry has javelins for the T-90.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005

What about the Su-35?
T-90 tank?

The SU-35 is really a 4.5 gen craft and correct if I'm wrong but the first SU to use fly-by-wire controls. The SU's are also extremely heavy, more than 10K lbs more than an F-15 when empty.

They compete but I wouldn't say they are better. If I had to go head to head I would still pick the F-15 over the SU-35 anyday.

The T-90 is a good tank but doesn't feature any of the crew survival features that an Abrams or other NATO tanks have. It's still just a highly modified T-72.

So head to head I'd still rather be in an Abrams or a Challenger II.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

4th generation fighters
better tanks
better air defense systems (S-400)

What do you think?
The first premise may be is the quality of what they export proportional to what they do not export.

What they have exported has not stood up to the Western equipment in actual combat conditions.

In the conflicts where Russian equipment was exported and manned by Russian and proxies (Korea, Vietnam, the ME), the equipment under combat conditions has failed to deliver because of quality and/or training in the use.

Non-exported Russian aircraft have not been able to stand up (in cold war conditions) against Western forces.

If the latest generation of Russian tanks were fielded in the ME, they failed.

Russia may have developed a more modern air defense system; however, they have not tested it against Western pilots and A/C.

Such a system has not been tested against the latest generation of Western combat A/C which are more manuverable and stealthier than what the Russians/procies saw in the previous conflicts.

The Russina training/officer system is much weaker than during the cold war which will also handicap the quality of any technology.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
All the Russians really care about is suckering in 2nd world nations to buying their equipment by promising them it can handle whatever the US/Europe produces. This has proven time and again not to actually be true though....

This is purely a financial game for them now. They will even sell the US most of their current weapons so we can refine our countermeasures and study capabilities.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: K1052
All the Russians really care about is suckering in 2nd world nations to buying their equipment by promising them it can handle whatever the US/Europe produces. This has proven time and again not to actually be true though....

This is purely a financial game for them now. They will even sell the US most of their current weapons so we can refine our countermeasures and study capabilities.
Do you have proof of what I bolded?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: K1052

Do you have proof of what I bolded?

I cant dig it all up right now at work but I know that the Russians have directly and indirectly offered their technology for export to the US. I recall that they tried to sell us the Sunburn/SS-22 missile outright and various other weapon systems through intermediate eastern European nations.

It makes sense since they'd like to continue developing newer weapons to supply to these same nations as ours improve and the odds of direct Russian-US conflict are minuscule. It's just good business for them

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
I can understand the original Russian proxies trying to sell systems to us.
I know that there are systems used at military installations used for training purposes of equipment that has been captured in conflicts.

I can not fathom the Russians selling their latest systems directly to us. Just like we do, they would also put on export controls on what is sold to their customers.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I can understand the original Russian proxies trying to sell systems to us.
I know that there are systems used at military installations used for training purposes of equipment that has been captured in conflicts.

I can not fathom the Russians selling their latest systems directly to us. Just like we do, they would also put on export controls on what is sold to their customers.

They do hold back some of the top shelf stuff even from their best customers, but the don't seem to mind anything they export getting into our hands nearly as much as we do with our client nations.