Radoen 9700 + Morrowind + gta3 = Bad

Looney1a

Sep 26, 2002
Ok people, this is getting really annoying for me. When I first got my computer up and running Morrowind was running fine, look great and went fast, no problem. But as I mention in a previous thread gta3 had some texual glitches. I managed to fix most of those glitches with a patch from the ATi website. I was then pretty happy with gta3, then when i tried to play a game of morrowind, the darn thing crashed whenever i am in a battle with something. So I have to restart the system then it comes up with a message saying that a problem with my ATi drivers made morrowind crash. ggrrrrr What do I do? I can either get morrwind working by uninstalling the patch, which in turn will screw up gta3. Or do I keep the patch installed so I can play gta3 with with hardly no glitches but I can't play morrowind! Can somebody help?

My specs are:
2.4ghz Pentium 4
512mb ddr ram
Gigabyte P4 Titian GA-8IGX
Soundblaster Live! 5.1
Radeon 9700pro

The ATi patch can be found here http://mirror.ati.com/support/infobase/4081.html

Looney

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
i cant realy help on the morowwind as i never bothered to install it after a format, just not what i was looking for in a game. but on the gta3 thing i have a question for ya, did ya get rid of the goofy polygons that show up occasionaly? also, it seems to chug a bit for me when i have the anistropy cranked up, you too?

btw the newest drivers have the patch buit in and can be found here

Looney1a

Sep 26, 2002
Well first of all i am assuming you have a radeon 9700 also. MOST of the goofy polygons have gone away and it does run pretty bad with anisotropic crank up. I think it's like that for two reasons. The first beening rockstar didn't optimize the game for ATi fully, only nvidia. The second reason is because the stages are so massive and it has so much to render aisotropic is too much, even for a radeon 9700. And by the way that link didn't work, it came up with the ATi web site it just said that page i was looking for wasn't found.

Looney

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
accdently put a period at the end of the link instead of the end of my sentence.

working link.

and yes we are speaking of the same video card.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
thats funny becuase the link i gave is not a patch, its the latest drivers with the control panel too. the link you listed was to a patch for older driver sets.