Radiohead's "Hail to the Thief"

wildwarren

Mar 22, 2001
I used to be a fan of Radiohead and loved The Bends and OK Computer...really solid albums, but is it just me or are they actually trying to be weird? (some call it artistic, I'll stick with weird) I regret ever having listened to, let alone purchased, Hail to the Thief. In my opinion, it is the most self-righteous load of crap I've ever heard.

Radiohead is not revolutionary and yet they try as hard as they collectively can to let people think they are. It really sets me off when they can produce such vomit and be heralded for it when their lyrics are not influential and their music uninspired.

So, I say to those of you who enjoy sitting through this cd feeling as though you are somehow different than everyone else, or "artistic,"

you suck.

chin311

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
havent heard it yet, my friend bought it at bestbuy the other nite, i never really liked them :\, besides that one song "creep".

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Ah the classic paradox of modern music: you are innovative and revolutionary until you sell more than a million albums. From that point on, you are self-aggrandizing crap no matter what you do.
rolleye.gif

So, I say to those of you who enjoy sitting through this cd feeling as though you are somehow different than everyone else, or "artistic,"

you suck.
Fine. Kindly list the bands/artists you hold near and dear so that we may pick them apart and mock you for liking them.

Stojakapimp

Platinum Member
Jun 28, 2002
ouch

Well I actually enjoy quite a few songs from that album. I don't know what you mean by trying to be artistic. Do you mean like the laser beam sounds and stuff like that?

I'd say about half of the songs on Hail to the Thief are great songs. I don't have the names memorized yet, but I believe songs 1,2,9,10,13,14 and maybe another one from 2-9 are wonderful songs. Maybe you just have to listen to it more.

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
Listen to it a few more times, honestly.

I thought that Kid A and Amnesiac were total crap, really too weird, but after listening to them a few times more, they started to grow on me. The same is true for HTTT. It's not a "pick up and go" album like Pablo Honey/The Bends/OK Computer were, it's something you need to listen to, and grow on you.

It is actually a good album, and is showing them progressing :)

Confused

Hooligan

Aug 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Fausto1
Ah the classic paradox of modern music: you are innovative and revolutionary until you sell more than a million albums. From that point on, you are self-aggrandizing crap no matter what you do.
rolleye.gif

you suck.
Fine. Kindly list the bands/artists you hold near and dear so that we may pick them apart and mock you for liking them.

but nsync writes their own music

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: chin311
havent heard it yet, my friend bought it at bestbuy the other nite, i never really liked them :\, besides that one song "creep".
hehe....the one song that the band really hates but plays anyway because the crowds like it.

TNTrulez

Banned
Aug 3, 2001
Originally posted by: wildwarren
I used to be a fan of Radiohead and loved The Bends and OK Computer...really solid albums, but is it just me or are they actually trying to be weird? (some call it artistic, I'll stick with weird) I regret ever having listened to, let alone purchased, Hail to the Thief. In my opinion, it is the most self-righteous load of crap I've ever heard.

Radiohead is not revolutionary and yet they try as hard as they collectively can to let people think they are. It really sets me off when they can produce such vomit and be heralded for it when their lyrics are not influential and their music uninspired.

you suck.

STFU noob.

wildwarren

Mar 22, 2001
haha, sorry guys. I didn't mean for that to turn into so much of a rant :)

I didn't like the album, and I feel like since they do sell more than a million copies they feel that they instantly should make crappy music for a million people to buy.

About the artistic people, I have been around too many people who are trying as hard as possible to find something underground or "artistic." It's just the vibe I get from the Radiohead cd that....oh fvck it I just didn't like it.

wildwarren

Mar 22, 2001
Originally posted by: TNTrulez

you suck.

STFU noob.

toasted. absolutely toasted...

Hooligan

Aug 25, 2001
haha, sorry guys. I didn't mean for that to turn into so much of a rant :)

I didn't like the album, and I feel like since they do sell more than a million copies they feel that they instantly should make crappy music for a million people to buy.

About the artistic people, I have been around too many people who are trying as hard as possible to find something underground or "artistic." It's just the vibe I get from the Radiohead cd that....oh fvck it I just didn't like it.

artsy music? emo should die right now.

Raspewtin

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 1999
I like bands that express their views freely, even it means sacrificing sales. The same is true for people like Ted Nugent, who I disagree with. So many loser bands will go with tide for the cash, despiting having a strong personal feeling. That's why I was impressed with Dixie Chicks and thought those who burned their CDs were idiots. Like we live in a Nazi country where those who disagree with the govt should be burned, or burned in effigy.

wildwarren

Mar 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Raspewtin
I like bands that express their views freely, even it means sacrificing sales. The same is true for people like Ted Nugent, who I disagree with. So many loser bands will go with tide for the cash, despiting having a strong personal feeling. That's why I was impressed with Dixie Chicks and thought those who burned their CDs were idiots. Like we live in a Nazi country where those who disagree with the govt should be burned, or burned in effigy.

Close, we live in a Republican country...;)

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000

If you guys turn this thread into yet another flame war about the Dixie Chicks I will personally hunt down and beat senseless each and every person involved.

That is all....carry on. ;)

Hooligan

Aug 25, 2001

If you guys turn this thread into yet another flame war about the Dixie Chicks I will personally hunt down and beat senseless each and every person involved.

i :heart: the dixie chicks ;)

bootymac

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2001
Originally posted by: ChineseSkaterNoRice

NOOB DIXIE CHICKS IS TEH SUCK ;)

isaacmacdonald

Platinum Member
Jun 7, 2002

you suck.

two points. the evolution of radiohead is neither suprising (given the direction they were heading in OK computer), nor pretentious. While Kid A (my favorite of their albums) is certainly less accesable than OK computer, it is really beautiful stuff once you attune yourself.

Revolutionary??? Lets leave that to the noobs who wish to win arguments with broad assertions that X has had such and such an impact. (The same goes for detractors)-

Back to accessability (which I think is the primary issue at hand). Aquired tastes are often the best. When I first had a sip of scotch, I thought it was the most awfull stuff I'd ever had. I also thought peppermint schnapps was the best. Years later, I love scotch and I hate viscous sugar water. Lots of adults progress from ketchup to mustard in the same light. Unfortunately, contemporary man doesn't seem to spend the same amount of time tasting films and music the way he tastes food. As such, it's hardly suprising that some are left out in the cold when they watch a movie like Solaris ("I thought this was a romance!!!") or listen to an album like Kid-A ("I thought this was Rock!!!!"). All I can say is that it's a shame. Lots of people don't give developed (ie: less accessable) content a chance.

GL

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I like Hail To The Thief. I didn't like the last two Radiohead albums but OK Computer was great and I liked Kid A too. The first time I listened to HTTT I didn't particularly find it appealing but as was mentioned already, it's the type of album that grows on you. I still have to buy the real album - I have one from like February. Is the real album any different than that February "release"? I'm still gonna buy it but I'd be interested to see what they did in those few months up until release.

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Confused

I thought that Kid A and Amnesiac were total crap, really too weird, but after listening to them a few times more, they started to grow on me. The same is true for HTTT. It's not a "pick up and go" album like Pablo Honey/The Bends/OK Computer were, it's something you need to listen to, and grow on you.

Confused

I am not total crap.

cyclistca

Platinum Member
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: GL
I like Hail To The Thief. I didn't like the last two Radiohead albums but OK Computer was great and I liked Kid A too.

Wouldn't Kid A be one of Radioheads last two cd's? ;)

Just bought Hail to the Thief during my lunch break. Can't wait to give it a spin.

GL

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: cyclistca
I like Hail To The Thief. I didn't like the last two Radiohead albums but OK Computer was great and I liked Kid A too.

Wouldn't Kid A be one of Radioheads last two cd's? ;)

Just bought Hail to the Thief during my lunch break. Can't wait to give it a spin.

Whoops, I meant The Bends:)

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
Originally posted by: amnesiac
Originally posted by: Confused

Confused

I am not total crap.

Hey, i said that i started to like you after a while ;)

:p

Confused

Stojakapimp

Platinum Member
Jun 28, 2002
I like Hail To The Thief. I didn't like the last two Radiohead albums but OK Computer was great and I liked Kid A too. The first time I listened to HTTT I didn't particularly find it appealing but as was mentioned already, it's the type of album that grows on you. I still have to buy the real album - I have one from like February. Is the real album any different than that February "release"? I'm still gonna buy it but I'd be interested to see what they did in those few months up until release.

I don't think they really made any big changes. I only listened to the leaked version a couple times, so it's hard for me to compare, but I believe that it's pretty similar. There are a couple different riffs here and there, but nothing too drastic

Placer14

Platinum Member
Sep 17, 2001
Originally posted by: bootymac
Originally posted by: ChineseSkaterNoRice

NOOB DIXIE CHICKS IS TEH SUCK ;)

At least he knows how to quote properly.

To stay on topic, my friend recently introduced this band to me with The Bends. Good album. He's probnably already bought HTTT and i'll have to check them out too. But music is music much like one man's trash is another man's treasure. You can't speak on behalf of everyone.