Radio Industry caught sleeping - Congress starts proceedings to get them to pay up

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Apparently the Radiop Industry lobbyists haven't coughed up enough money to bribe Congress as much as all the new broadcast mediums such as Satellite radio.

For once I hope Congress approves this and fixes an imbalance that has gone far long enough.

Reem Crap Channel a new one boys. :thumbsup:

12-18-2007 Legislators propose new royalties for Big Radio

Lawmakers on Tuesday introduced legislation to undo a 50-year-old exemption that lets big radio companies like Clear Channel Communications Inc and CBS Corp air songs without paying record labels or performers any royalties.

SoundExchange, which collects and distributes royalties on behalf of artists and labels, welcomed the legislation.

"Today's legislation is a sign that Congress is beginning to recognize the inherent inequity in failing to provide fair compensation to recording artists from the multimillion-dollar radio conglomerates that use our members' music to drive ad sales," SoundExchange executive director John Simson said.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
6 months from now you will be posting on here about how angry you are the greedy corporations have ruined music by forcing radio stations to pay for the music they play which of course forced the radio stations into a pay for listening format.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
On a serious note:

If that happens it could really change the radio business.

New and up coming artists might be willing to forgo fees for exposure etc etc.
Stations might also be forced to look for new revenue streams or change formats if they have low ratings.

Also will the fees be based on ratings? If they charge 5 cents a song then stations in country would really be hurt while the big city stations would hardly notice etc etc.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
I wonder if this could be a very good thing in preventing the same 50 songs from playing all over the radio and giving exposure to a wide array of artists.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
What the recording industry doesn't realize is that this has been their free huge advertising scheme for the past 50 years. I can't recall ever buying a CD that I hadn't heard at least one song from on the radio. So now, I can't download the music to see if I like it and I won't be able to hear it for free on the radio for much longer. Guess I'll never buy any more CDs, not that there is much good new stuff anyway.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: CycloWizard
What the recording industry doesn't realize is that this has been their free huge advertising scheme for the past 50 years. I can't recall ever buying a CD that I hadn't heard at least one song from on the radio. So now, I can't download the music to see if I like it and I won't be able to hear it for free on the radio for much longer. Guess I'll never buy any more CDs, not that there is much good new stuff anyway.

If radio has to pay fees, in the short term both musicans and the record companies will take a hit. But in the long term the record companies will take a big hit.

I have read that music downloading has pushed musicians to earn their living by touring and selling merchandise at concerts. Radio help performers gain a national and international fan base which drives the performer's profits.

Without radio most music will be regional. Think about the good musicians in your area that you never hear on the radio. These musicians might have a CD which you can buy at concerts or in the local stores.

Basically musicians will tour more, use the internet and personal websites, and word of mouth to get exposure. Using computer technology they can record and produce their own music

Except for selling the mega stars, this leaves the record industry out in the cold.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Musicians have always earned their big money through touring and selling their name (advertising). that is not a new thing. Record companies have never paid them much except for a few exceptions.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: shinerburke
6 months from now you will be posting on here about how angry you are the greedy corporations have ruined music by forcing radio stations to pay for the music they play which of course forced the radio stations into a pay for listening format.

I haven't listened to the radio in years when they went to this playing the same 6 songs for 24hrs crap that Crap channel put into place buying up the majority of stations in the country and getting rid of local DJ's.

But I'm sure you support that kind of garbage anyway.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

I haven't listened to the radio in years when they went to this playing the same 6 songs for 24hrs crap that Crap channel put into place buying up the majority of stations in the country and getting rid of local DJ's.

But I'm sure you support that kind of garbage anyway.

I'm sure the RIAA loves the support Hillary gets.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Just play the music of the people who dont demand to be paid bribery money. Make a blacklist for the extortionists and dont play their music.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Color me surprised. I just ASSumed whenever you heard a song on the radio there was royalties involved.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: piasabird
Just play the music of the people who dont demand to be paid bribery money. Make a blacklist for the extortionists and dont play their music.

that would mean they would have to get more than 15 albums at the local pop radio station...

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Siddhartha

If radio has to pay fees, in the short term both musicans and the record companies will take a hit. But in the long term the record companies will take a big hit.

I have read that music downloading has pushed musicians to earn their living by touring and selling merchandise at concerts. Radio help performers gain a national and international fan base which drives the performer's profits.

Without radio most music will be regional. Think about the good musicians in your area that you never hear on the radio. These musicians might have a CD which you can buy at concerts or in the local stores.

Basically musicians will tour more, use the internet and personal websites, and word of mouth to get exposure. Using computer technology they can record and produce their own music

Except for selling the mega stars, this leaves the record industry out in the cold.

The solution for them strikes me simple and obvious.

The recording/distributing studios will just acquire radio stations in big markets to promote their artists.

Fern

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Fern
Originally posted by: Siddhartha

The recording/distributing studios will just acquire radio stations in big markets to promote their artists.

Fern

Well with the rules of ownership completely gone I would expect that to be the case.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Fern

Which, of course, has basically been their approach with Payola for what, a century now? :laugh:

They just won't have to be... covert ... about it. :p

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
For decades, the $20 billion radio broadcasting industry has paid royalties to songwriters and music publishers for the underlying rights to the songs played on the air, but have been excused from paying royalties to artists or labels for when their sound recordings were used.

What does this mean? They paid for the right to play the music but not on a per-song-played basis?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Balt
For decades, the $20 billion radio broadcasting industry has paid royalties to songwriters and music publishers for the underlying rights to the songs played on the air, but have been excused from paying royalties to artists or labels for when their sound recordings were used.

What does this mean? They paid for the right to play the music but not on a per-song-played basis?

Radio stations have not paid a penny to play songs.

It was considered "Free advertising" for the recording Industry and artists so they got a free pass.

That gravy train may be coming to an end now as it should.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001

Clear Channel has already ruined FM radio, so this will make no difference.