Radical fundamentalist shoots and kills two.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
I wondered if there was more to this... and guess what -there is.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2008/jul/27/neighbors-accused-shooter-everyones-friend-hated-c/">"He had his own sense of belief about religion, that's the impression I got of him," said neighbor Karen Massey. "We were talking one day when my daughter graduated from Bible college, and I told him I was a Christian, then he almost turned angry.
"He seemed to get angry at that."

According to Massey, Adkisson talked frequently about his parents who "made him go to church all his life ... he was forced to do that."</a>

Hmmm.... sounds more like a radical fundamentalist that would post here bashing anything that has to do with Christianity.

If that was the case, there are better targets than the UU.

This guy seems more in line with one of the neo-nazi brainwashed 'stop the ACLU and other "cultural Marxists" type. Like Butterbean. He was out of work because of teh homosexuals.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: lupi
Sounds rather aetheist to me.

I hope that was sarcasm... :confused:

Edit:

"...apparently targeted the congregation out of hatred for its support of liberal social policies"

and

"It appears that what brought him to this horrible event was his lack of being able to obtain a job, his frustration over that and his stated hatred of the liberal movement,"

What does that have to do with atheism?

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Robor

Edit:

"...apparently targeted the congregation out of hatred for its support of liberal social policies"

and

"It appears that what brought him to this horrible event was his lack of being able to obtain a job, his frustration over that and his stated hatred of the liberal movement,"

not atheism, aetheism.

cubeless

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: blackangst1
radical?

ROFL whatever. Gangsters who shoot white people are radical racists.
Gang Bangers tend to shoot more of their own than they do civilians, try a different analogy.
Isn't that what this guy essentially did, shot some of his own? How would gang-on-gang violence differ from Christian-on-Christian violence in the analogy? Doesn't seem to.

btw, I wonder if they're going to pick up the rest of the members of the radical cell this guy was a member of? Oh, wait a sec. Was this guy a member of any organized extremist group who purposefully target innocent civilians for their own gain, or were his the actions of a rogue nutjob acting on his own?
Actually Chick in all honesty I believe this guy was just a whack job who was looking to pin the blame for his problems that were of his own doing on others.

ok, you're off the hit list...

AAjax

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2001
Originally posted by: techs
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/200..._re_us/church_shooting

Police: Man shot churchgoers over liberal views

Knoxville's police chief says the man accused of a shooting that killed two people at a Tennessee church targeted the congregation because of its liberal social stance.

Chief Sterling Owen IV said Monday that police found a letter in Jim D. Adkisson's car. Owen said Adkisson was apparently frustrated over being out of work and had a "stated hatred of the liberal movement."

Adkisson is charged with first-degree murder. Police say a gunman entered the Tennessee Valley Unitarian Universalist Church during a children's performance Sunday. No children were hurt.

The church is known for advocating women's and gay rights and founding an American Civil Liberties Union chapter.

Radical fundamentalists must be stopped.

Any ideas?

We ship you off the continent?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

Edit:

and

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2008/jul/27/neighbors-accused-shooter-everyones-friend-hated-c/">"He had his own sense of belief about religion, that's the impression I got of him," said neighbor Karen Massey. "We were talking one day when my daughter graduated from Bible college, and I told him I was a Christian, then he almost turned angry.

According to Massey, Adkisson talked frequently about his parents who "made him go to church all his life ... he was forced to do that."</a>

Hmmm.... sounds more like a radical fundamentalist that would post here bashing anything that has to do with Christianity.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

Knoxville's police chief says the man accused of a shooting that killed two people at a Tennessee church targeted the congregation because of its liberal social stance.

Chief Sterling Owen IV said Monday that police found a letter in Jim D. Adkisson's car. Owen said Adkisson was apparently frustrated over being out of work and had a "stated hatred of the liberal movement."

Adkisson is charged with first-degree murder. Police say a gunman entered the Tennessee Valley Unitarian Universalist Church during a children's performance Sunday. No children were hurt.

The church is known for advocating women's and gay rights and founding an American Civil Liberties Union chapter.

Any ideas?

Give him a fair trial and, if found guilty, hang em in town square and let em swing till the sun goes down.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Darwin333

Any ideas?

Give him a fair trial and, if found guilty, hang em in town square and let em swing till the sun goes down.

:thumbsup:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Lemon law
Actually, one of the people shot and killed is an truly inspiring story. His name escapes me, but he was a long time congregation member and an usher at the church. One person described him as the size of a refrigerator, a gentle man everyone loved. And he interposed himself between the gunman and the children the gunman was aiming at. A truly noble and Christian act that saved many lives. That also gave others the chance to wrestle the gunman to the ground and disarm him well before the police arrived. A true testament to the power of religion and faith world wide.

As for the gunman, there is no accounting for mental illness and hate.

So true. As long as humanity denies its universal self hate no self understanding will ever be possible. People don't want to know that what ailed this guy ails them. Everybody will stumble around calling the next to snap mad for inexplicable reasons.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Edit:

and

Sorry but I don't connect atheism with the hatred of liberalism. I also don't connect most christian organizations with 'liberal social policies'.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
-snip-
Sorry but I don't connect atheism with the hatred of liberalism. I also don't connect most christian organizations with 'liberal social policies'.

Might wanna reconsider the generalization you apparently labor under.

There's a bunch of Christian churches that are socially liberal. A lot.

There are also a lot of conservatives who are not religious. Some of the most conservative people I've ever know simply do not believe there is a god.

But the main point is, contrary to some peoples' assumption, this guy apparently didn't like Christianity nor belonged to any organized religion. I don't really see where Chritianity had anything to do with it. He wasn't one, nor was that really a Christian church as I understand it. However, they were apparently an activist church regarding (secular) social issues.

And as has been pointed out, they guy clearly wasn't rational. It's likely futile trying to make to much of any connections.

Fern

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
It was a unitarian church. Basically a church that says "come on in, whatever you believe - Jesus, Allah, FSM, or aethist, you're welcome!". Unitarian churches don't "teach" to any religious texts.

It's like the ultimate liberal "church"...but it's really more of a "spiritual social club" founded on liberal ideas.

I'm not critiquing it or using liberal as a bad word, just saying what it is...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unitarian_Universalism

I am a little concerned about fundamentalist FSM worshippers and their attempts to take over the UU religion.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
This guy is like a poor stereotype for talk radio listeners - white, divorced, middle-aged, racist, homophobic, undereducated, and poor.

Yet those damn libruls and their gay masters were keeping him down and preventing him from getting a job.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: alchemize
I was wondering what asshat would put a political spin on this and post it. Thanks Techs for not dissapointing!

The honest reporting of the incident requires a political component (not spin). The guy chose these people to shoot *because of their politics*, because of his politics.

Where the line lies is in generalizing about other people who do not share his willingness to commit violence, i.e., 'all those fundamentalists are like this' would be wrong.

Dec 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Craig234
Originally posted by: alchemize
I was wondering what asshat would put a political spin on this and post it. Thanks Techs for not dissapointing!

The honest reporting of the incident requires a political component (not spin). The guy chose these people to shoot *because of their politics*, because of his politics.

Where the line lies is in generalizing about other people who do not share his willingness to commit violence, i.e., 'all those fundamentalists are like this' would be wrong.

not if they are all like this
which they are
therefor its not wrogn