Question Radiator fans really loud, what connection do I use?

HomeboundNine

Mar 16, 2019
I bought the gigabyte x470 aorus ultra gaming motherboard and the coolermaster ML240L RGB cooler. I plugged everything in and it's running really loud.
I've got the fans plugged into cpu_fan and the pump into cpu_opt. Should I move either these to any of the other connectors? E.g the sys_fan5_pump or sys_fan6_pump, or switch them around?

0c529t6.png

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
Yes, you can't do any harm by trying the other ones. Try them out.

HomeboundNine

Mar 16, 2019
A loud fan is more likely to be an issue with the fan itself than which port it's plugged into.
They're brand new and I was reading some other posts about how if they're plugged into certain spots the pump / fans just run at max speeds. There were a few examples I found with the same cooler, but different motherboards all saying to use an aio_pump connection, which I don't seem to have, or i'm just totally missing it, so I figured i'd ask to see specifically if I was doing something wrong.

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
Your fans should be on the CPU or CPU opt headers and the pump on any of the pump headers. You also need to check and see if they're set to 100% or have a custom curve and maybe your AIO isn't seated properly and the CPU temps are too high.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
They're brand new and I was reading some other posts about how if they're plugged into certain spots the pump / fans just run at max speeds. There were a few examples I found with the same cooler, but different motherboards all saying to use an aio_pump connection, which I don't seem to have, or i'm just totally missing it, so I figured i'd ask to see specifically if I was doing something wrong.
So, your fans aren't too loud, they're running at too high a speed?

AnnoyedGrunt

Jan 31, 2004
If you are already plugged into the CPU fan header then Check the bios for the fan settings. You will need to make sure the profiles are set to a custom profile or one of the more quiet ones that adjust speed based on temps. It is possible that the default bios settings have the fan running at full speed all the time.

Of course also double check the temps to make sure all the cooling systems are operating properly.

-AG