Radeon X1650pro and X1650?

unr3al

Senior member
Jun 10, 2008
214
1
81
www.link-up.co.za
I'm a rather new user to this forum but it looks really great and on Anandtech I am always finding reliable info on hardware, thats why I joined.

Now, I am a little bit confused and Google seems to have run out of knowledge as well. I have seen two cards, the PowerColor Radeon X1650 and X1650pro. The former is stated to have an X1650 engine at 500MHz and 512MB DDR2 running slightly slower than the 256MB Pro's DDR3 and 600MHz core.

Why I am asking; I am considering the 512MB version as a replacement for my onboard X1250 graphics.

Does anyone know what on earth is different between the cores (if anything!) and whether it would be worth the R550 (approx. $70) I might pay for it?

And if it's not worth it, what could I get that would be a decent replacement for my IGP (I am looking for around 4-6 times the performance without paying a fortune). Safe to say that R600 ($75-$80) is my personal limit and hardware prices is horribly inflated in South Africa. Third world economy, what can I say :( An average price for the Radeon HD3870 is around R2200, just to give an example. That translates into roughly $280...

I would like an ATi card (to go with my chipset and CPU) but nVidia would have to do if I could get a decent upgrade from them lol
 
Jun 9, 2008
29
0
0
Thou officially Only two types of X1650 exists out there: the PRO and XT, however different manufactures came out with "just x1650" like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/...?Item=N82E16814102086R
Having core speed cut down a bit = not a biggie - you can overclock to reach same speed, however having DDR2 memory vs DDR3 on video card is a major bottleneck, I'd suggest you to avoid. My recommendations for you are Nvidia 7600GS or faster 7600GT depends on your local prices and budget.
 

unr3al

Senior member
Jun 10, 2008
214
1
81
www.link-up.co.za
Okay thanks for the suggestions, I'll keep looking around and compare prices and reviews. Just want something that doesn't use system RAM but neither must it simply be discrete onboard lol
 
Apr 20, 2008
10,161
984
126
Originally posted by: Bored SysAdmin
Thou officially Only two types of X1650 exists out there: the PRO and XT, however different manufactures came out with "just x1650" like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/...?Item=N82E16814102086R
Having core speed cut down a bit = not a biggie - you can overclock to reach same speed, however having DDR2 memory vs DDR3 on video card is a major bottleneck, I'd suggest you to avoid. My recommendations for you are Nvidia 7600GS or faster 7600GT depends on your local prices and budget.

Not true. I have a spare x1650 512mb. Not a pro. Not an XT, neither.

Clocked at 500/800 rather than the pro's600/700.

My spare: http://www.newegg.com/Product/...?Item=N82E16814102084R

1650pro http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16814102064

Although my spare has that heatsink on it. Wont overclock one bit.
 

unr3al

Senior member
Jun 10, 2008
214
1
81
www.link-up.co.za
Another thing, the only cards I seem to find in that price bracket are 8400GS's and HD3450's. Yuck considering the 64-bit memory buses!
 

v8envy

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2002
2,720
0
0
The 1650XT was by far the fastest of the lot. But fast is relative -- it's comparable to a 6600GT. Why are you looking at such ancient hardware? There are much better choices at the $50 AR price level, and if you're so strapped for cash that you're researching $30 cards then just pick the cheapest.

Example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/...ription=2600XT&x=0&y=0 -- 2600XT for about $73 shipped, $20 rebate.

Edit: doh, not sure what prices are like in South Africa. But you may still wish to look at newer graphics cards like the HD2XXX series and 8600GT. They are worlds faster than circa 2006 lower end mainstream hardware like the 1650 and 6600GT. I doubt either will be 4-6x the performance of your onboard video. 2-4 is more likely.
 
Apr 20, 2008
10,161
984
126
Originally posted by: unr3al
Okay, thanks. Now I'm wondering, what scores did that spare X1650 of yours get? Just curious, considering the price.

1961 in 3dmark06 with the config i have now minus the better PSU.
 
Jun 9, 2008
29
0
0
Originally posted by: Scholzpdx
Originally posted by: Bored SysAdmin
Thou officially Only two types of X1650 exists out there: the PRO and XT, however different manufactures came out with "just x1650" like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/...?Item=N82E16814102086R
Having core speed cut down a bit = not a biggie - you can overclock to reach same speed, however having DDR2 memory vs DDR3 on video card is a major bottleneck, I'd suggest you to avoid. My recommendations for you are Nvidia 7600GS or faster 7600GT depends on your local prices and budget.

Not true. I have a spare x1650 512mb. Not a pro. Not an XT, neither.

Clocked at 500/800 rather than the pro's600.

My spare: http://www.newegg.com/Product/...?Item=N82E16814102084R


Although my spare has that heatsink on it. Wont overclock one bit.

Here is proof of overclocked X1650 Pro:
http://www.overclockers.ru/ima...007/06/28/image002.png
and here:
http://www.techpowerup.com/rev...phire/X1650Pro/14.html

and secondly the Pro memory is 700 Mhz DDR or effective 1400! vs effective 800Mhz on your Spare..

I didn't said the card is great overclocker, but the fact it can be o/ced...
anything can with right tools and patience
 

unr3al

Senior member
Jun 10, 2008
214
1
81
www.link-up.co.za
Originally posted by: Bored SysAdmin
Great news unr3al!! I found a best deal yet - http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item...MB_DDR3_PCI_E_16x.html
Hurry up!

Thanks for that but it being an unknown seller I really can't say if I'm willing to risk R600. Sounds too good to be true lol

Originally posted by: Scholzpdx
Originally posted by: unr3al
Okay, thanks. Now I'm wondering, what scores did that spare X1650 of yours get? Just curious, considering the price.

1961 in 3dmark06 with the config i have now minus the better PSU.

My IGP goes just over 400 with my CPU at its current frequency... :eek: :laugh:
 
Apr 20, 2008
10,161
984
126
I totally know 1650's can be overclocked. I was saying MY CARD could not. Not even with ATI-tool or rivatuner.
 
Jun 9, 2008
29
0
0
Originally posted by: unr3al
Originally posted by: Bored SysAdmin
Great news unr3al!! I found a best deal yet - http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item...MB_DDR3_PCI_E_16x.html
Hurry up!

Thanks for that but it being an unknown seller I really can't say if I'm willing to risk R600. Sounds too good to be true lol

Originally posted by: Scholzpdx
Originally posted by: unr3al
Okay, thanks. Now I'm wondering, what scores did that spare X1650 of yours get? Just curious, considering the price.

1961 in 3dmark06 with the config i have now minus the better PSU.

My IGP goes just over 400 with my CPU at its current frequency... :eek: :laugh:

Well, it's R600 for a USED 7600GT .... imho its sounds like a good deal... now it's only depends if the site I mentioned offers any buyers protection like ebay does.. speaking of ebay I'd check the prices there.. Imho paying R600 for used 7600GT is 10x better than for new X1650

Scholzpdx:
Sorry to hear this ... I does seem R1650 with only 4 converters is clocked near its max capacity from the get go

 

unr3al

Senior member
Jun 10, 2008
214
1
81
www.link-up.co.za
I have no idea about buyer security but I will look into it. I agree completely that its a better buy than the X1650, except for the 2nd hand aspect. You never know whether a card has been overclocked to the edge of its life. As for eBay, I'd rather not. Shipping would probably defeat the purpose!

I have another option of paying R600 for a 7600GT, but this is a Leadtek card from someone that I happen to know very well. The situation depends on how soon the person in question is willing to upgrade. Still looking around lol