Radeon Win2k Drivers?

Pyro

Banned
Sep 2, 2000
I remember reading that the win2k drivers of the radeon were simply awful, what I want to know is, did they fix it? I know they've released several driver updates, but has anything ever changed?

thanx for input :)

pdo

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2000
www.pauldophotography.com
You might wanna take a look at Rage3D. I was lurking around that board today and notice that people have better luck with the newer W2K driver so I've just ordered the Radeon board. Hope everything will work out alright with the new driver.

Pyro

Banned
Sep 2, 2000
thanks. I hope the get their act togerther too :)

I am thinking of building my own All in Wonder Radeon. I take a ViVo 64mb Radeon DDR add, the ATI TV-Wonder and I get a powerful gaming machine (not the most powerful, but then agagin I play a lotta RTS games too, not just FPS) and a wicked multimedia center :)

SleepyTim

Oct 27, 2000
Hey guys. Go HERE and get the latest v5.0.3073 Win2K drivers. Also make sure you have SP1 (Service Pak 1) for Win2K.

These latest Win2K drivers have improved tremendously and brought the performance within 10% of Win98. :)

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I just installed Windows 2000, and I am downloading Service Pack 1. I am going to use the Beta drivers, so I let everyone know.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Update for the first night. Driver installation and DVD playback.

System:

PIII 700
Asus CUBX
320 MB PC-100 Ram
AIW Radeon
Sound Blaster 128 PCI card
Creative Labs 12X DVD drive
Smart and Friendly 6424a CD-RW

Driver version v5.0.3073 BETA. Installed everything else from the ATI installation disk (Multimedia center and Guide Plus) This is Windows 2000 with Service Pack 1 and with Direct X 7a

Installation went perfect. No crashes or hangs at all.

DVD playback is just a sharp as in Windows 98SE. However there is a slight pause when using a few programs such as IE and Outlook up at the same time. There was a slight pause in Win98 as well, but it is just a little more noticeable with Windows 2000.
It is very stable though.

Tomorrow and Wednesday I will capture some video from my 8mm camcorder and convert it into MPEG-2 and MPEG-1 at the highest resolution and quality possible. I will report the performance compared to the same thing under Win98SE.

Please no thread crappers. I don't need any negative comments. I am doing this to help people who have or want the Radeon and want to run Windows 2000. If you have any postive suggestions let me know. I work full time, but I will complete these test a fast as I can.
I am doing more than gaming scores, as too many sites have gaming scores, but fail to mention the Radeon's (especially the AIW version) other great features.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Starting the video capture. Will publish what I find out tomorrow when I finish it.

After that I will do some 32 bit gaming with Quake 3 or Star Trek Elite Force (Quake III engine)

Do you think I should keep the resolution below 1024 * 768, with maximum detail on in 32 bit color so the Geforce2 owners can compare it to their systems? I don' want to go over that so their FPS doesn't drop down too far! ;)

Just kidding nvIDiaIOTS! Your card is fast. Just was trying to sound like the people who bash the Radeon without using one or having used one.

Can't ATI fans and NVIDIA fans (now that 3DFX is gone and they need some other company to bash) get along without all this card envy?

PeAK

Sep 25, 2000
Here are some benchmark results for the update Win2K drivers. They actually
beat the Win98 results on some high resolution modes. The 3073 drivers
mentioned are similar but newer than the ones used in the above review.

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
Well, Win2k, Via, and ATI collectively kicked my sorry ass tonight. None of it wanted to work together. Now, I'm putting my computer somewhat back together with a fresh install of Win98. I think that in my case Via's agp driver screwed things up. Then, I accidently hosed my OS. And since I don't have my Windows 2000 CD with me, I had to install 98. Of course, that was after I tried WinME. WinME has got to be the most irritating OS I've seen. All those stupid help windows that pop up whenever you do something the least bit dangerous.