Radeon R9 290X Priced at $730 at Newegg

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
Anyone think its worth waiting to see what the 280X has in store or just hop on good 7970 deals?

Feb 19, 2009
Yep, this is pretty idiotic. Very high level of buffonery at AMD :rolleyes:

Its weird how when NV charges ridiculous prices, its acceptable behavior, but when AMD does it when they are in a leading position (significantly cheaper than Titan, with unlocked voltages), its suddenly idiotic.

Now, I do understand the sentiment, but I feel the same when either company decides to go full capitalistic on consumers.. as a consumer, I hate being ripped off. 30% performance over a 7970 Ghz ed and asking for 200% of the price???

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
Its weird how when NV charges ridiculous prices, its acceptable behavior, but when AMD does it when they are in a leading position (significantly cheaper than Titan, with unlocked voltages), its suddenly idiotic.

Now, I do understand the sentiment, but I feel the same when either company decides to go full capitalistic on consumers.. as a consumer, I hate being ripped off. 30% performance over a 7970 Ghz ed and asking for 200% of the price???

Uh I meant them advertising October 3rd during their live stream, and today being October 3rd with nothing to show for it. I didn't mention anything about price. 290x will be in my machine soon.

Rip off can be pretty subjective. Titan was definitely a rip off, but it sold nicely.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
This is kinda priced high, pretty disappointing. We will obviously have to wait for OC information, but it seems I may just get another 7950 instead, once the price is just right.

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
If it is over $650 I am just getting a 7990.

Teizo

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2010

I don't see how Nvidia charging high prices is seen as acceptable behavior. Close to 90% of the posts on this forum are related to people clamoring over the Titan and 780.

Just now AMD has joined to fold and all those who have been hemming and hawing at Nvidia are stumped I guess, or because it is AMD have turned a blind eye because 'it beats Titan for less!'...even though it's main competition is really the 780.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
I don't see how Nvidia charging high prices is seen as acceptable behavior. Close to 90% of the posts on this forum are related to people clamoring over the Titan and 780.

Just now AMD has joined to fold and all those who have been hemming and hawing at Nvidia are stumped I guess, or because it is AMD have turned a blind eye because 'it beats Titan for less!'...even though it's main competition is really the 780.

Titan and 780 were alone........AMD is launching years after 7970, and months after nV's offerings.....

They are late, with no real advantage. If they launched near the same time, that would be one thing.

phillyboy

Jun 3, 2006
I get it. Must be an 11:59:59 suspense moment.

I'm impatient so I bought a used water cooled 7970 on eBay for crossfire :biggrin:. For $360 I got the same MSI model and heatkiller waterblock as what I already have installed so I can't really complain.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
Titan and 780 were alone........AMD is launching years after 7970, and months after nV's offerings.....

They are late, with no real advantage. If they launched near the same time, that would be one thing.

We should be happy we are getting anything new(Hawaii) this year from AMD, since they stated that the 7000 series was good through 2013 many months back.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003

I agree with you. If you launch a card 5-6 months late and it beats 780 by less than 10%, it shouldn't be $600 since technology is supposed to get substantially faster/cheaper over time and $50 cheaper isn't enough to warrant a 5-6 months opportunity cost of waiting. Someone who bought a 780 isn't too upset especially if the first month's allocation are only reference 290X cards.

Last edited:

Vesku

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2005
I agree with you. If you launch a card 5-6 months late and it beats 780 by less than 10%, it shouldn't be $600 since technology is supposed to get substantially faster/cheaper over time and $50 cheaper isn't enough to warranty a 5-6 months opportunity cost of waiting. Someone who bought a 780 isn't too upset especially if the first month's allocation are only reference 290X cards.

So Intel's 4670K is 30% faster than the 3570K and also $30+ dollars cheaper?

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
Under an hour left to go on the East Coast for this R290X pre-order to pull through. It'll be a shame if this launch suffers yet another disappointment.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
I agree with you. If you launch a card 5-6 months late and it beats 780 by less than 10%, it shouldn't be $600 since technology is supposed to get substantially faster/cheaper over time and $50 cheaper isn't enough to warranty a 5-6 months opportunity cost of waiting. Someone who bought a 780 isn't too upset especially if the first month's allocation are only reference 290X cards.

Another factor to consider is that IF AMD is locking down on AIB custom designs, and limiting the 290x to it's reference version indefinitely or for a few months, then that 10% difference can likely be made up by some of the 780's that have open air coolers and monster overclocks while also maintaining quieter operations. A locked down R290x loses appeal vs. AIB custom 780's and may end up having significant trade offs to anyone who isn't water cooling.

AMD has never locked out AIB designs before so I'm guessing that news is overblown but if true it's a dumb move.

xnorex

Oct 3, 2013
Under an hour left to go on the East Coast for this R290X pre-order to pull through. It'll be a shame if this launch suffers yet another disappointment.

I have a feeling nothing will happen at twelve. They just don't seem to care and are trying to keep it hush. That's the only reason I see for there being not one mention of whats going on in the US from them. The only way I see them saying anything is if a media outlet picks this up.

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
I have a feeling nothing will happen at twelve. They just don't seem to care and are trying to keep it hush. That's the only reason I see for there being not one mention of whats going on in the US from them. The only way I see them saying anything is if a media outlet picks this up.

announcement come and gone..... I am disappoint!

Maybe New EGG dropped the ball :p

Last edited:

Vesku

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2005
I sense some arm wrestling was going on between AMD and their big NA retailers.

https://twitter.com/amd_roy

----------
Roy@AMD &#8207;@amd_roy 5m

@AMDRadeon apologies Newegg and Tiger are a little late.
---------

---------
Roy@AMD &#8207;@amd_roy 6m

N.America! Newegg will be live tomorrow with the BF4 R9 290X preorder. You can sign up NOW for alert
---------

SiliconWars

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2012
AMD prices too high: "OMG what a ripoff!!!"

AMD prices too low: "AMD will always be known as the cheap brand!!!"

Honestly it didn't matter what they did they'd be under assault from some quarters anyway.

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
I sense some arm wrestling was going on between AMD and their big NA retailers.

https://twitter.com/amd_roy

----------
Roy@AMD &#8207;@amd_roy 5m

@AMDRadeon apologies Newegg and Tiger are a little late.
---------

---------
Roy@AMD &#8207;@amd_roy 6m

N.America! Newegg will be live tomorrow with the BF4 R9 290X preorder. You can sign up NOW for alert
---------

What a mess. Those details should have been worked out a LONG time ago. Someone really screwed up that soft-launch.

Jun 24, 2012
It's not really instilling a lot of confidence that they are hiding a lot of details about the card AND pricing right up until the last second when they then drop a special edition stock cooler version of the card that hasn't been reviewed yet on the intarwebz and say, "Hey, preorder this and you'll get it... sometime eventually."

I mean, Titan was priced high, but at least you knew what you were getting and when you were getting it.

Perhaps firing all those marketing people wasn't the best allocation of money on AMD's part.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
We have seen no reviews and we don't know the launch price, there is nothing to be disappointed about.

hopefully you are right, I am hoping for a nice GTX 780 level of card or so for less, like maybe around $500-$550.

still, I think the whole launch was kinda disappointing, seems it could have been a lot better or with at least more details.

Feb 19, 2009
AMD prices too high: "OMG what a ripoff!!!"

AMD prices too low: "AMD will always be known as the cheap brand!!!"

Honestly it didn't matter what they did they'd be under assault from some quarters anyway.

You forgot, there's the middle ground, neither too high nor low.

It's the $500 mark that for many generations have been the spot for the top GPU. Now its inflated out to $650 - $1000, it's way too much.

This is not a limited product, 28nm is now 2 years old, mature and excellent yielding. They are ending Tahiti so the production shifts to Hawaii. There's no excuse of limited supply to justify a massive mark-up. If AMD had some brains, they would realizing pricing this Titan killer at $500 would reap MASSIVE quantity of sales that would more than make up for their profits. Pricing it $699 or thereabouts, its way out of the league of many enthusiast's budget, only the tiny minority of enthusiasts would be able to buy it, it may as well be $1000.

Last edited:

SiliconWars

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2012
They can make it a limited product by limiting wafers. They aren't ending Tahiti, they are moving it down a segment. The way I see it they are seeing how much of a stomach there is for their cards at this price. It's faster than the 780, it has to be priced higher than the 780.

Status
Not open for further replies.