Radeon HD 7950 Owner's Thread

Page 34 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
Ok just made a quick test, played Crysis 2 on Extreme for 1 hour (could play on Ultra but wanted butter smoothness so Extreme does the job with similar eye candy sweetness) and here are my temps:

- BIOS FZ1
- Voltage 1.25v
- Clocks @ 1100/1400 (using CCC)
- Load: GPU temp = 66C / VRM1 = 81C / VRM2 = 77C
- Idle at 33C

Looks good to me! I'll continue playing and see if anything bad happens but for now it's a hell of a card!

EDIT: Dropped the ram OC to 1300...the 77C/81C was a bit high. Now running 1100/1300 with 60C and 69C/71C.

wow. 60c and 69c/71c on vrms at 1100 / 1300 . amazing. :thumbsup: try out BF3 if you can and let us know how it performs.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Maybe I'll copy BF3 over to it later and see how it runs. I'd really like to be able to try it in my nvidia machine and compare it to one of my 680s. There is no way I am taking apart my water cooling to do that though. Way too much hassle. :p

Here is HD7950 @ 1210mhz / 1500mhz in BF3. I consider that stellar value. MSI TF3 with 7970 PCB are excellent overclockers. You got a good one. I am seeing a lot of you guys hitting 1200mhz on your 7950s. Nice! No doubt GTX680 SLI > HD 7950 OC CF but for single GPUs, the value just can't be beat imo. Toss in free Crysis 3 and Bioshock Infinite and it's like walking out with GTX680/7970Ghz level of performance for $230-240. How do you beat that value? I have no clue. ;)

perf_oc.gif

Last edited:

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
wow. 60c and 69c/71c on vrms at 1100 / 1300 . amazing. :thumbsup: try out BF3 if you can and let us know how it performs.

Yeah i'm quite happy!

Weird thing, most people crap on BIOS FZ1 that Gigabyte released earlier this year and removed from their site not long after it was available. This BIOS, from what peeps are talking about, made the card run hotter than it should due mostly to the 1.25v and the "low" clocks of 1000/1250.

I flashed my BIOS to the new F43 which make the card run cooler but slower (900/1250). But with this BIOS I can't OC the card with anything, not AB, not Trixx and not even CCC. All games crashed under 1 minute.

I just flashed back to the "crappy" FZ1 and OCed the card to 1100/1400 with CCC. Tested it and it's still stable and runs at nice temps: 62C/70C/72C. I think I could push my luck and go 1100/1500 or 1150/1500...but I don't feel that adventurous after the last "BIOS update" episode.

I'm happy with this "GHz" edition BIOS and my card love's it! It's been an awesome buy. First for the card but for the 2 free games that came with the Never Settle Reloaded bundle: Crysis 3 and Bioshock Infinite!

Last edited:

tripjack

Feb 13, 2013
Hopefully this is an appropriate place to ask, but I am looking for a little advice on which 7950 I should purchase. I think I have narrowed down my search to the Gigabyte WF3 and the MSI TF3.

The Gigabyte apparently has the disadvantage of a locked voltage (correct?), but it seems to me that the 3-fan Windforce system would be superior in terms of noise and cooling. The TF3 on the other hand has an adjustable voltage, and I have heard many good things about MSI quality and support. However several people are finding the TF3 to have substandard thermal interface material... and I assume that replacing it means voiding the warranty?

So, how shall I choose? Is one superior to the other? Shall I flip a coin? Or should I consider another card entirely?

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
I don't think MSI voids your warranty for removing the heat sink and re-applying the thermal paste?

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
No MSI won't void it, unless you somehow damage it in the process. I sent in a TF III 6950 that was water cooled and ocerclocked, told them that, and they said make sure I send it in the way I got it. Zero issues.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Hopefully this is an appropriate place to ask, but I am looking for a little advice on which 7950 I should purchase. I think I have narrowed down my search to the Gigabyte WF3 and the MSI TF3.

The Gigabyte apparently has the disadvantage of a locked voltage (correct?), but it seems to me that the 3-fan Windforce system would be superior in terms of noise and cooling. The TF3 on the other hand has an adjustable voltage, and I have heard many good things about MSI quality and support. However several people are finding the TF3 to have substandard thermal interface material... and I assume that replacing it means voiding the warranty?

So, how shall I choose? Is one superior to the other? Shall I flip a coin? Or should I consider another card entirely?

First of all, both cards are one of the best out there. Gigabyte and MSI offer great cooling solutions and durable products that OC really well.

The locked voltage on the Gigabyte is only if you get a 7950 manufactured in January (don't know the exact time frame though) since Gigabyte released a BIOS, version FZ1, that locked the voltage to 1.25v and OCed the card to 1000MHz. Kind of a HD7950 "GHz Edition". Newer cards ship with BIOS F42 (or F43 can't recall) which have a lower voltage (1.08 IIRC) and lower clock on the GPU (900MHz). So you have 2 options if you order a GB now: You can get the FZ1 card with locked voltage and factory OC with some more room to manually OC it or you get a F43 card with lower unlocked voltage, lower clocks but that you can OC the way to want.

Mine shipped with FZ1: 1.25v and clocks at 1000/1250. This BIOS is the best for me since I don't feel that safe playing with voltage so I always try to get the most out of my hardware on stock voltage (CPU and GPU). So with that BIOS I OCed the card to 1100/1400 which is, for me, completely awesome! :p

The Windforce 3 os one hell of a cooler. 3 fans to cool down the chip, which at first thought it would be loud but it's not! It's more silent than my former Sapphire HD 6950 and run at nearly the same temps while delivering MUCH more power. At 1100/1400 my temps are 62C on the GPU and VRMs run at 70C/72C all that while under load in games.

MSI, never tried their cards but I heard only great comments about it's Twin Frozr III cooler. Looks awesome, cools great and it's one nice overclocker!

Hope that help ya!

Last edited:

Clump

May 12, 2009

Since Rhezuss told you about the Gigabyte card I'll chime in on the MSI.

The first 1 I got had a bum HDMI port. Newegg RMAed it and paid return shipping. I had it at 1200/1400 with stock voltage. The new card has a working HDMI port and is running the same clocks, I've only had it a few days so far. The highest temp. I've seen after an hour plus of Far Cry 3 is 66C. When I get a chance I'll take the cooler off and re-apply TIM.

Both of my cards idle fairly high, in the low 40s. Most likely related to my case more than the card.

I'm using Afterburner to overclock and bumped the fan profile up for 5% additional fan speed at each temp. I can definitely hear it when under load.

I was stuck between the same 2 and picked MSI because it ended up being a few bucks cheaper after shipping and rebate. When I had to RMA the 1st card I considered swapping to Gigabyte, but they made it too easy to do a like for like swap.

I don't think you can go wrong either way. The Gigabyte 3 fan solution may be a bit quieter under load? MSI stock clock is higher, at least the few here lately have been at 960 core.

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
First of all, both cards are one of the best out there. Gigabyte and MSI offer great cooling solutions and durable products that OC really well.

The locked voltage on the Gigabyte is only if you get a 7950 manufactured in January (don't know the exact time frame though) since Gigabyte released a BIOS, version FZ1, that locked the voltage to 1.25v and OCed the card to 1000MHz. Kind of a HD7950 "GHz Edition". Newer cards ship with BIOS F42 (or F43 can't recall) which have a lower voltage (1.08 IIRC) and lower clock on the GPU (900MHz). So you have 2 options if you order a GB now: You can get the FZ1 card with locked voltage and factory OC with some more room to manually OC it or you get a F43 card with lower unlocked voltage, lower clocks but that you can OC the way to want.

Mine shipped with FZ1: 1.25v and clocks at 1000/1250. This BIOS is the best for me since I don't feel that safe playing with voltage so I always try to get the most out of my hardware on stock voltage (CPU and GPU). So with that BIOS I OCed the card to 1100/1400 which is, for me, completely awesome! :p

The Windforce 3 os one hell of a cooler. 3 fans to cool down the chip, which at first thought it would be loud but it's not! It's more silent than my former Sapphire HD 6950 and run at nearly the same temps while delivering MUCH more power. At 1100/1400 my temps are 62C on the GPU and VRMs run at 70C/72C all that while under load in games.

MSI, never tried their cards but I heard only great comments about it's Twin Frozr III cooler. Looks awesome, cools great and it's one nice overclocker!

Hope that help ya!

Thanks for this info. It cleared a lot of stuff that were bugging me.

Although I was planning for an Nvidia upgrade, from my GTX 570 SLI, the new 79XX CFX reloaded bundle that AMD is launching, is too enticing to ignore. With the bundle's value deducted, the 7950s would cost around 250 euros for me, which is crazy. I will buy all these games anyway.

What I do care about though, is the state of the crossfire driver. I still run my old 5850s on my tertiary rig and I am currently checking out everything I can, but I am not sure that drawing conclusions from a 58XX system is correct for the 79XX series. Is it?

Anyone cares to enlighten me on their 79XX crossfire experience so far?

Thanks.

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
I'm kind of in the same boat as TripJack, thinking of picking up a GB or MSI 7950 to play around with. So basically, if I got a GB, I could get one that's completely unlocked, or one that's locked at 1.25V?

Alternatively, if I get the MSI one, is it voltage locked?

From previous reviews, it seems like the GB Windforce is slightly better than the MSI Twin Frozr, cooling around 3°C cooler and a few dB quieter than the TF.

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
Could someone provide temps of top and bottom cards in crossfire, with internally exhausting cooling systems? Thanks.

ckay27

Feb 4, 2013
So I've got a XFX DD 7950 at stock with i5 3570k running virtu mvp and score p9744 which I think is pretty good, not sure if I really need to OC when everything is lovely as is...but I have heard she's a good oc'er. Anyone with the same model could tell me their OC would be appreciated though...

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
I'm kind of in the same boat as TripJack, thinking of picking up a GB or MSI 7950 to play around with. So basically, if I got a GB, I could get one that's completely unlocked, or one that's locked at 1.25V?

Alternatively, if I get the MSI one, is it voltage locked?

From previous reviews, it seems like the GB Windforce is slightly better than the MSI Twin Frozr, cooling around 3°C cooler and a few dB quieter than the TF.

I think the MSI TF3 is voltage unlocked. A couple guys got some newer ones and they reaches 1200mhz. MSI TF3 from the beginning tended to be a stellar OCer, especially the 6+8 pin / 7970 PCB versions!

Here is a review of both of them head-to-head. I am guessing that's the one you looked at ;)
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...rce-msi-hd-7950-twin-frozr-iii-review-18.html

zaydq

Jul 8, 2012
This thread is still going strong, eh? Just fyi folks 1200 core clock is very likely with a TF3 :)

zaydq

Jul 8, 2012
I have a question for the owners in this thread. What made you choose this card over the 7970? I'm just wondering because I'm in the market for a new card, and I can't decided what to do. I currently have a GTX 560 Ti, and I'm trying to decide what would be the best upgrade path.

Bit of a late response. I bought mine because it was $150 cheaper than a 7970 at the time of purchase

Clump

May 12, 2009
I started having crashes in Far Cry 3. Dropped the memory back to stock and that cured it. Reset everything to stock and the performance is still great. Oddly core temps loaded are the same stock or at 1200.

Makonnen91

Dec 17, 2012
Hello all. I've had my card and machine for about 2 months now and I'm just starting to delve into Oc'ing. I've downloaded a few pertinent programs such as Heaven Uniengine, MSI AB, 3dmark 11, and GPU-z.

I have the Sapphire HD7950 and set my first test as follows.

core-1140 mem-1400 voltage-1.2 with a power of + %20.
13.2 beta 5 driver + i5 3570k 3.4 ghz

ok so i cannot post an attachments for some reason.
Results from Heaven BM

FPS-36.0
score-907
min-15.6
max-78.2

Ultra quality, 1920 X 1080 res, turned all settings to max.

Comparing these to others on the forums, they seem pretty low. Any
suggestions?

Last edited:

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
My Gigabyte that shipped with the FZ1 bios (locked 1.25v, 1000MHz on the core), from infos I gathered, should do 1200/1500 easily buty mine goes 1150/1400 to be 100% stable in benches and games.

Still not bad and delivers awesome performances in every games I throw at it.

And getting Crysis 3 and Bioshock Infinite (especially) for free is a no brainer.

zaydq

Jul 8, 2012
Nearly every 7950 i've encountered can reach 1100 on the core. 1100 is the number you'd want to be conpetetive with a 7970ghz ed or a gtx 680 at stock. Anything more than 1100 is just whipped cream on top.

As to the sapphire 7950, 1150 is a good core clock. I haven't seen much promise in terms of ocing with the sapphires this generation so I'd settle. That heaven score looks about right. I'd mess with the core clock and lower it 5-10mhz and see if it poaitively affects that score or not, just to make sure there isnt any instability.

zaydq

Jul 8, 2012
Hello all. I've had my card and machine for about 2 months now and I'm just starting to delve into Oc'ing. I've downloaded a few pertinent programs such as Heaven Uniengine, MSI AB, 3dmark 11, and GPU-z.

I have the Sapphire HD7950 and set my first test as follows.

core-1140 mem-1400 voltage-1.2 with a power of + %20.
13.2 beta 5 driver + i5 3570k 3.4 ghz

ok so i cannot post an attachments for some reason.
Results from Heaven BM

FPS-36.0
score-907
min-15.6
max-78.2

Ultra quality, 1920 X 1080 res, turned all settings to max.

Comparing these to others on the forums, they seem pretty low. Any
suggestions?

Make sure you've got the exact same settings as all the other heaven runs posted in this thread, particularly msaa and af.

Makonnen91

Dec 17, 2012
Make sure you've got the exact same settings as all the other heaven runs posted in this thread, particularly msaa and af.[/QUOT

I matched them up but for some reason I have a few less options than the Heavens screens I have seen posted. Is it because i'm running Heaven 4.0? Maybe the score was right and I was expecting too much, but idk. I'll continue to try and tweak the settings. The 30 range just seems comparatively sub par.

edit-on one of my very first tests I lined up the settings the best i could to the ones of page 27 of this thread. It produced a score of 1136 and a FPS of 46. But then I noticed my resolution was only 1600X900. After I ran the tests with the updated res I began receiving my current results.

Last edited:

zaydq

Jul 8, 2012
1600x900 must be your monitor's resolution. Trying to run at 1080p for heaven could likely be the cause of any performance issues since the gpu has to blunt force running a non-native resolution. Try running it on a 1080p tv and see what scores you yield :)

Makonnen91

Dec 17, 2012
My monitor is definitely a 1920 x 1080, but I will try the tv test. With all the successes I see on this board with overclocking it just leads me to believe I am doing something wrong.

It probably does not help that I do not have too big of a game collection to actually see my performance in action.

Far Cry 3-cannot seem to find the right balance of settings to save my life

Hitman: Absolution-Decent performance on ultra settings from what I can tell. Not as smooth as I think it can be though.

Sleeping Dogs looks beautiful and is stable. I have others, but they are not that detailed graphically.

I've got the feeling i'll be working on this all night. :p

zaydq

Jul 8, 2012
My monitor is definitely a 1920 x 1080, but I will try the tv test. With all the successes I see on this board with overclocking it just leads me to believe I am doing something wrong.

It probably does not help that I do not have too big of a game collection to actually see my performance in action.

Far Cry 3-cannot seem to find the right balance of settings to save my life

Hitman: Absolution-Decent performance on ultra settings from what I can tell. Not as smooth as I think it can be though.

Sleeping Dogs looks beautiful and is stable. I have others, but they are not that detailed graphically.

I've got the feeling i'll be working on this all night. :p

There might be some sort of small instability then... Sometimes it'll never crash, but its not running stable. Try little tweaks with voltage and core frequency and see if your score changes significantly.

Makonnen91

Dec 17, 2012
Update: The issue was the Heaven 4.0 software I was using. I downloaded 3.0 and matched up the settings it provides to you. My cards settings were as follows:

Core=1100
Memory=1400
Voltage=1125

Results:
FPS=44.8
Score=1129
Min=10.5 Max=111.6

Thanks for your help btw Zadyq. Much appreciated

Last edited: