Radeon HD 4550: Win 7 driver or AMD's?

Wolf9999

Oct 24, 2010
Hi guys,
I've built a PC and installed Win 7 64 Ultimate (Core i7 920, 6 GB RAM, m4 SSD 128 GB)
With the first updates Windows suggests me to install the HD 4550's video driver.
I want my system to be as "clean" and best performing as possible so I'm not sure... Should I install the driver thru Windows Update or skip it and I install the Catalyst Software Suite?

Thank you!

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Get it right from AMD. Windows Update video drivers are garbage.
...huh?

The drivers all come from AMD whether you get them via windows update or download them yourself. Going straight to the AMD website will almost always get you a newer driver. Either driver source will work fine unless you're playing the newest games on the newest video cards (e.g. rage on a 6990).

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
Going straight to the AMD website will always get you a newer driver.

The only relevant part of that post, fixed for accuracy. WHQL doesn't clear drivers for WU before AMD releases them.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
...huh?

The drivers all come from AMD whether you get them via windows update or download them yourself. Going straight to the AMD website will almost always get you a newer driver. Either driver source will work fine unless you're playing the newest games on the newest video cards (e.g. rage on a 6990).

This. The "windows" drives come down through Windows Update and are approve/whql certified. They lag behind AMD's current, but they're also pretty well certified to not cause a BSOD or something. You might see some game perf issues not yet fixed in that driver though. If you game, try the AMD drivers...if you don't play games that JUST came out...use whatever.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The vast majority of normal users will see zero benefit from the latest and greatest drivers straight from AMD. The OP also isn't running a recently-released card so the driver changes on that card are likely to be minimal. Fear mongering and calling the windows update drivers "garbage" in this case really isn't helpful or truthful.