Radeon HD 2600XT: PC Crashed-Vendor ID has changed-Driver Won't Install

newParadigm

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2003
So I came home from college today, and my monitor wouldn't come back from 'no signal detected'. I reboot it, and everything seemed fine. When i got into Windows, a message came up that said Catalyst Control Center could not load because "No ATI graphics driver is installed, or the ATI driver is not functioning properly." I checked Device Manager, and the graphics card was sitting under Other Devices as "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)".

I tried simply right clicking and selecting "update driver", but it will not find the driver even when I point it to the correct folder. If I select 'Don't Search. I will choose the driver to install', and then select 'Sound, Video, and Game Controllers' on the next page, it give the error that the .inf file for the 11-8 and 11-6 drivers does not contain information for my hardware. I tried going back and selecting 'Show All Devices' instead of 'Sound, Video, and Game Controllers', and it allowed me to select the .inf for the 11-8 driver. I was then able to install the 2600XT driver. It came up with a warning that it was the wrong driver for my hardware, and after installing that driver, I got a 'device cannot start' status for the video card. At this point I was kinda like, What. The. Fvck. The card works, and I can see the screen fine, I just cannot get the drive to install. I think the issue below is the reason why.

The Vendor and Dev ID's are all fvcked up. When checked the card in that 'Unknown Devices' program, it could not identify the card. I'm getting this weird sh!t for the Vendor/Chip ID etc... [Hardware ID: VEN_1002&DEV_978A&SUBSYS_22371787&REV_20] That is not the correct vendor and device ID's for my card as far as I can tell from sources online. At this point I realized that something in the card had gotten majorly FUBAR'd.

I'm trying right now to flash the BIOS, as that is the part of the card that stores the VEN and DEV ID's (AFAIK, if I am wrong about this, please LMK). Using ATI Winflash it gives the error "Cannot find discrete ATI Video Card". If I boot into DOS and try to use ATIflash, it gives 'no adapters found' (including using the -newbios and -f operators). I am going to try using Flashrom right now, but I am not holding out much hope.

If anyone has seen some crazy shit like this before...VEN and DEV ID's randomly changing, or at least being mis-recognized, please help. I think the VEN1002 may be an ATI VEN ID, but this shit is so foreign to me. I only know what I was able to read of the 'net in the last couple hours. So again, please tell me how to FORCE a bios update if a card is not recognized as ATI...

Last edited: