Radeon 9700pro - forces me to reduce overclocking ?

Aug 15, 2002
Hi,

just received my Sapphire Atlantis Radeon 9700 pro.

I am running a P41.8A @2.4 (100 FSB -> 133) and this works since months with my old Ti4200.

After I installed the ATI card the PC started rebooting as soon as it entered WindowsXP. All system drivers and Bios are up on the latest version. Hm... I switched off the overclocking and the PC booted without a problem.

After this I increased my FSB again and it is rock solid at 128Mhz (2.3 Ghz) as soon as I go beyond this Windows starts complaining, that the ATI driver is not working properly and that is has to correct the error.

Did anybody make the same experience ? The ATI driver being so sensible to overclocking ? Loosing 100Mhz is not the end of the world, but I would like to know, what the problem is.

Thanks for any hints
Cheers
Speedy

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Yes, I had to clock down my old system too. The 9700 Pro is more sensitive to AGP running at higher than default values than some other cards are. If your motherboard supports AGP/PCI locking that might help, otherwise you'll have to stick to 2.3 GHz.

Another thing that might help is a stronger power supply.

Aug 15, 2002
Thanks for your replys, unfortunately both AGP and PCI were already locked to 66mhz resp. 33mhz.

PowerSupply is the TSP420W, which has according to TomsHardwareGuide around 490W, so this should be strong enough.

I have a very early 1.8 Northwood (purchased it in Jan, but it was made in 2001), maybe it is not 100% stable at 2.4 and I did not notice it so far, a more sensible driver may have problems with it.

Speedy

Killrose

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
When I had my 9700 Pro, I noticed my case temps went-up noticably. So if you were on the verge of stability, then maybe the extra heat is enough to get to it. Maybe for the heck of it, try a re-application of AS3 to the CPU and clean the fan as well. Who knows?

Bovinicus

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2001
In think the increased heat is most definitely a factor. Do you have an idea how much your case temps have increased as a result of this upgrade?

kyoshozx

Jun 16, 2000
I actually have the same problem. I have an Asus A7n8x, which is base on the nforce2 chipset. I tried locking the agp at 66mhz but I'm still unable to overclock the fsb much. Problem doesn't exist if I take out the radeon 9700 and replace it with my old radeon 8500.

My radeon 9700 pro also was the cause of me unable to run at 166mhz bus on an asus a7v8x(kt400). Thats why I purchased the asus a7n8x. Now i'm able to run at 166mhz fsb, however i'm not able to overclock the bus much at all.

Aug 15, 2002
I have monitored the temperatur in my case and also the CPU temp. It has not changed since I installed the Radeon.

You must know, that I am running a Coolermaster tower with 4 Y-tech fans (2 in and 2 out) as well as the TSP PSU with 3 fans, airflow cables blah, blah, blah...

So my case was pretty well prepared for the overclocking. What also speaks against the temperature making problems is the fact, that I have problems immediately after cold booting, as soon as the FSB is higher than 128Mhz.

Strange...maybe I simply have to live with it

Thor86

Diamond Member
May 3, 2001
Originally posted by: SpeedyGonzales
I have monitored the temperatur in my case and also the CPU temp. It has not changed since I installed the Radeon.

You must know, that I am running a Coolermaster tower with 4 Y-tech fans (2 in and 2 out) as well as the TSP PSU with 3 fans, airflow cables blah, blah, blah...

So my case was pretty well prepared for the overclocking. What also speaks against the temperature making problems is the fact, that I have problems immediately after cold booting, as soon as the FSB is higher than 128Mhz.

Strange...maybe I simply have to live with it

Hmmm, I am running almost the same specs, but my guess is if you can spare the power connector to only use a dedicated one for your video card and not share it with other hardware in your system. Or you can try another power supply unit. I've had no issues running 133mhz FSB with a 1.8 @ 2.4 with my ATI 9700 Pro, but I use an Antec True Power 550 - no fluctuations whatsoever :)

Aug 15, 2002
hm...tried it, but unfortunately without any positive result. Same behaviour as before. I think as soon as I can get the a 2.4A/ stepping C1, i will buy this cheap cpu and overclock it with a moderate FSB to 2.9 or 3.0Ghz.

But thx nevertheless
Speedy

Thor86

Diamond Member
May 3, 2001
Can you lock your agp/pci on your motherboard? 9700 Pro doesn't take too well to out of spec AGP settings due to increases in the FSB.

Aug 15, 2002
Yep, the Abit BD-7 allows the locking to 33/66 mhz for PCI/AGP bus. I always have this activated, because I do not want to run the cards out of spec.

Maybe the new 2.5 ATI driver solves the issue. I will download it tonight and test it, however I have only little hope.

Cheers
Speedy

Tates

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 25, 2000
Bovinicus offered this tip up in Noid's thread:

Click start, settings, control panel, administrative tools, services. Make sure the ATi Smart service is enabled. I was having similar problems when I installed the latest drivers with that service set to manual/disable (Can't remember).

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Sorry man, I think you might just have to live with it. Remember that overclocking is never guaranteed and any change in the system can greatly affect it.

Nov 12, 2002
Originally posted by: BFG10K
Yes, I had to clock down my old system too. The 9700 Pro is more sensitive to AGP running at higher than default values than some other cards are.

That's the perfect answer. Well said, BFG10k.

To ya:

Radeon 9700 cards suck azz in handling high AGP speeds. They can't do jack crap. Those cards are fast... the card itself.. but it is not made for handling overclocked machines. They usually max out around 85+/- mhz AGP and that is if you're lucky. I'm highly experienced in computer overclocking, so don't even think about questioning me.

The ATI Radeon 9700 cards are only suitable for beginners. Vast majority of general public users with non-overclocked systems. Also work good with manufacturers' already-built PCs. R9700 card itself overclocks pretty well, but it's dog in handling out-of-spec AGP speeds.

R9700 cards aren't for intermediate/hardcore overclockers. This card also, is not for those of you who test machines for overclocking. This card will freak out and puke on you before anything else in your system fails when you overclock.

Listen and learn.

Be thankful I'm giving you good advice here. ahemmmm.....

Taz4158

Banned
Oct 16, 2000
Originally posted by: overclocksomemore
Originally posted by: BFG10K
Yes, I had to clock down my old system too. The 9700 Pro is more sensitive to AGP running at higher than default values than some other cards are.

That's the perfect answer. Well said, BFG10k.

To ya:

Radeon 9700 cards suck azz in handling high AGP speeds. They can't do jack crap. Those cards are fast... the card itself.. but it is not made for handling overclocked machines. They usually max out around 85+/- mhz AGP and that is if you're lucky. I'm highly experienced in computer overclocking, so don't even think about questioning me.

The ATI Radeon 9700 cards are only suitable for beginners. Vast majority of general public users with non-overclocked systems. Also work good with manufacturers' already-built PCs. R9700 card itself overclocks pretty well, but it's dog in handling out-of-spec AGP speeds.

R9700 cards aren't for intermediate/hardcore overclockers. This card also, is not for those of you who test machines for overclocking. This card will freak out and puke on you before anything else in your system fails when you overclock.

Listen and learn.

Be thankful I'm giving you good advice here. ahemmmm.....
Wow! What a total, unmitigated and insecure ass.

Viper96720

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2002
Can you up the agp voltage on that mb? That may help since usually when you oc videocards extra agp voltage helps.

Aug 15, 2002
@viper

I will look for the AGP voltage and let you know. Thx for the hint.

@overclocksomemore

Read the first post of BFG10K and my response to it. Read and understand !

Cheers
Speedy

Nov 12, 2002
Originally posted by: SpeedyGonzales
@viper

@overclocksomemore

Read the first post of BFG10K and my response to it. Read and understand !

Speedy
???????????????... what are you talking about? have you really read my post?..
ofcourse i agree with BFG10K that's the point i was making doh!!! lol.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
what are you talking about?
He's saying that he's already tried locking his AGP/PCI speeds and it hasn't helped. Now take this in the context of your comments about AGP speeds.

Thor86

Diamond Member
May 3, 2001
Did you Prime95 stress test your system out before you got the 9700? This should have been done for at least 24+ hours for stability testing your overclock.

Do you have any utilities to tell you what your AGP/PCI are running at?

Aug 15, 2002
Thx BFG10K, that was precisely my point :)

Thor86, I ran Prime95 a couple of hours at 2.4Ghz, but to be honest not for 24 hours. Don't you think, that several months of smooth operation with all kind of games and applications is not enough ?

Cheers
Speedy