Radeon 9700 Review at GamePC

Technonut

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2000
Review
ATI has certainly delivered on all accounts with the Radeon 9700 Pro. Not only does it beat the competition in every benchmark thrown at it, but in most tests, it simply rips other cards apart. Performance is phenomenal across the board, but the R9700 Pro really shows its strength when used in high resolution gaming, especially with full-scene anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering. Using this card and a fairly fast processor, gaming at 1600 x 1200 is a reality with every current game on the market. Or, if your monitor doesn?t like high resolutions, crank it down to 1024 x 768 or 1280 x 1024 and turn on the anti-aliasing and get extremely good performance as well.

Aug 15, 2002
Hm,

playing all games at 1280*1024+, with filtering and antialising switched on would really be nice. Let us wait if ATI or the clone manus offer good prices in Europe, I have my doubts to be honest. Just experience.

Cheer
Speedy

eplebnista

Lifer
Dec 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Technonut
Review
ATI has certainly delivered on all accounts with the Radeon 9700 Pro. Not only does it beat the competition in every benchmark thrown at it, but in most tests, it simply rips other cards apart. Performance is phenomenal across the board, but the R9700 Pro really shows its strength when used in high resolution gaming, especially with full-scene anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering. Using this card and a fairly fast processor, gaming at 1600 x 1200 is a reality with every current game on the market. Or, if your monitor doesn?t like high resolutions, crank it down to 1024 x 768 or 1280 x 1024 and turn on the anti-aliasing and get extremely good performance as well.

:cool:

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Besides the highest GPU clock speed of the three chips, the Radeon 9700's R300 core boasts an impressive new architecture with eight rendering pipelines, which are able to deliver a whopping sixteen textures per pass. Competing solutions from Matrox and nVidia only boast four rendering pipelines, which was top of the line only a few months ago.

I thought the 9700 did 1 texture per pass, meaning 8 testures in total, and 8 for the NV 25, meaning the both have the same (and resulting in little improvemtn in the 3D Mark multipass tests). The same review also shows the NV 25 having both 10.4 and 10.6 gb/s bandwidth.

As for the rumors of the Radeon 9700 not working on AGP 8x motherboards, they're simply not true. We've tried the R9700 on multiple AGP 8x boards using multiple chipsets from multiple manufacturers, and we have been greeted with nothing but success.

Some people may say they are more than rumours, and is it a great suprise they have had only success? (unless they bought the card in a shop)

Overall the card looks nice, but it might be worth waiting for the NV 30 and the R300 revision when they go to 0.13 micron, whuch some peopel are talkign about, as they may make the card even better.

Technonut

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2000
Overall the card looks nice, but it might be worth waiting for the NV 30 and the R300 revision when they go to 0.13 micron, whuch some peopel are talkign about, as they may make the card even better.
True... But the 9700 Pro is here and now. I was going to wait until the smoke cleared and prices were lowered, but just could not after seeing the reviews come out. The 9700 is a damn good card that will last me for a good while. (Maybe....
rolleye.gif
)

HardOCP has the ATI Radeon 9700 Pro IQ Comparison up now also...