RADEON 8500DV vs. AIW 7500

tomamore

May 28, 2002
I was wondering if I was correct in thinking that the difference between the two are: A little less 3D performance on the 7500 and that there is no firewire on that board either? I plan on using the card to watching and recording tv and to play games like Nascar2002. I really don't get into anything that requires the best 3D abilities. I just purchase the 8500DV for 215 but I found out I can get the 7500 AIW for 145. Any suggestions? Thanks guys.

BPB

May 31, 2002
Before you do anything, go to ATI's website. They have a $25 rebate for the AIW 8500DV for which you may qualify.

As to the differences, I believe the 7500 is DirectX 7.X, whereas the 8500 is DirectX 8.X. ___BPB

tomamore

May 28, 2002
Thanks for the rebate info!! I bought the card yesterday at buy.com. I can't seem to find any info if buy.com is considered a 'retail store' or not. Any thoughts on this? Also now do you think I should just spend the extra $45 for the 8500DV? Thanks for your help.

BPB

May 31, 2002
I'm certain Buy.com qualifies (I got mine at Newegg.com). How did you get it for $215? I saw it at buy.com for $244.

I'd stick with the 8500DV, myself. ___BPB

tomamore

May 28, 2002
hey BPB, Thanks for the info. How long have you had the 8500DV? I have a TV on a wall mount bracket about 3 feet away from my mointor in my room. I want to be able to use both as desktop of sorts mostly for gaming and watching stuff I recorded on the TV. Have you had any problem with doing this? Also how well does that whole draging from on screen onto the other work out for you? Thanks.

BPB

May 31, 2002
I just upgraded from the Radeon AIW 32MB DDR, so I'm not certain I can answer the 8500DV quesation. I can tell you I really like what the MMC 7.6 does, but it does have issues (for me at least). The TV locks up my system now and then, especially when in TV On Demand mode. I haven't been able to speak to an ATI tech to see if there's a fix for this. I had a simialr issue wuth the DVD player before (in MMC 7.5), and a registry hack fixed it. Still, I think what you want to do will be fine. I actually have similar plans for myself. You may want to read the AIW 8500 reviews at Anand as well as SharkyExtreme (and others, I can list more if you'd like), they address this issue. I believe Sharky had trouble with making a TV the second monitor, not certain. Mine's been OK so far, other than the lockups. Hope this helps. ___BPB

tomamore

May 28, 2002
I hope I don't have any of these problems, with my luck though....... Thanks for all of your help.

MisterMac9

Oct 22, 2000
Based on reviews I have read, I believe another difference between the AIW 8500DV and the AIW 7500 is that the 8500 version has a digital TV tuner and the 7500 has an analog tuner. The digital tuner will switch stations faster whereas there is a slight pause between stations when you surf through channels with the analog tuner. Not a big deal though, unless you are impatient like me.