Radeon 8500 TOO DARK in games!

gl0ry

Jan 13, 2001
well. yeah its too dark.... i fixed it in quake 3 by using console commands, its fine with warcraft III and diablo 2, too dark under UT, and various emulators and such. ive tried game gamma and everything with UT and still no good... i mainly wanna fix UT's brightness and ill be set... anyone got any ideas

KingofFah

May 14, 2002
i have never used 8500 or played UT, but I assume it has console commands for gamma just like q3 does. Aside from that most cards come with something to control brightness, tint, etc in opengl and direct3d. Only a guess.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Use the desktop brightness slider in your driver control panel. Also try playing with the game gamma settings too although IME it doesn't work very well and produces rather funky colours.

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
if u use the catalyst drivers... in the advance display properties... there is a setting for "game gamma". i find that a handy feature :)

rockandroll

Jul 11, 2002
It's called garbage drivers. Take the 8500 out of your machine, throw it over your left shoulder and out of the window. Go buy a Ti4200 and get used to gaming bliss for $140.

LuDaCriS66

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
Originally posted by: rockandroll
It's called garbage drivers. Take the 8500 out of your machine, throw it over your left shoulder and out of the window. Go buy a Ti4200 and get used to gaming bliss for $140.

I've got a Gainward GF3 Ti200 under WinXP and my gamma ALWAYS reverts back to its default setting whenever I go into a Direct3D game no matter what drivers I use. I've talked to lots of people who have the same problem.

Rand

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: LuDaCriS66

I've got a Gainward GF3 Ti200 under WinXP and my gamma ALWAYS reverts back to its default setting whenever I go into a Direct3D game no matter what drivers I use. I've talked to lots of people who have the same problem.

Same here.
Actually, I always rather preferred 3dfx's gama adjustment over that of ATi/nVidia.

LuDaCriS66

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Rand
Originally posted by: LuDaCriS66

Same here.
Actually, I always rather preferred 3dfx's gama adjustment over that of ATi/nVidia.

I agree.. it was so much easier with my old voodoo 3 2000. If it is indeed a problem with the nvidia drivers, I don't understand why it hasn't been fixed yet.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
It has been fixed for quite a while. What drivers are you using? Are they the latest ones?

Having said that RivaTuner's low level gamma adjustement is far superior to any driver level gamma control I've seen on any video card. It always works and your setttings always stick no matter what (except of course in games that directly change the gamma themselves).

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001

rolleye.gif

LuDaCriS66

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
Originally posted by: BFG10K
It has been fixed for quite a while. What drivers are you using? Are they the latest ones?

Having said that RivaTuner's low level gamma adjustement is far superior to any driver level gamma control I've seen on any video card. It always works and your setttings always stick no matter what (except of course in games that directly change the gamma themselves).

Im using the 29.42 drivers and Im also using rivatuner.. the latest one. The only thing has worked a bit was when I would launch a game using this utility called "GammaLaunch".. but it didnt work for every game.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
RivaTuner's low level colour settings will work on any game that doesn't directly take control of the video card's hardware gamma by itself. Most Quake3 games fall under this category but RTCW can be controlled by external gamma adjustments.

Im using the 29.42 drivers
That's odd, what games are you having problems with? The only game that gave me problems was GLQuake although it does work fine with RivaTuner.