Radeon 8500 and WinXP issue with drivers

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
ok, this is not a huge deal, but it is kinda annoying. I recently reloaded my computer with XP again (it needed a reload as it had been a long time since I had wiped it) before the reload the Radeon 8500 and WinXP played nicely together, now they are a little annoyed with each other. I am using the 7.70 drivers (the catalyst caused the same problems and were annoying) and whenever I hit display properties and click "advanced" it gives me an error (it does that annoying "would you like to send an error report?" message) but then opens up the advance menu. Also, when the computer starts up and the ati program tries to run in the taskbar (y'know, that red ATI logo that you can click on to access the dvd player etc...) it gives the same error, then the ati icon dissapears. I have reinstalled DX 8.1, older and new drivers, and the new ATI multi-media center but still no luck. any ideas? thanks

-spike

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
AppName: atiptaxx.exe

AppVer: 6.13.10.3001

ModName: atipdsxx.dll

ModVer: 6.13.10.3001

Offset: 0000ae7a

To clarify, the above is the error I get every time. That might actualy confuse more than clarify but maybe it will help... thanks again

-spike

The Dancing Peacock

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
I had been having problems with my hercules 8500le and XP. I kept getting ACPI errors and it would crash the computer when I tried to run any game. I thought it was the card, tried new drivers, pulled out the sound card, nothing did it.

Turned out it was my motherboard. EPox 8k3ta+, they recommended a newer bios than the one I had if it was going to run XP. It seemed to run okay with my voodoo3 3000, but I obviously didn't game so much with that one.

Check everything out, it may the card's drivers crashing, but it may not be the source.

You email ATI support yet?

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
the only problem is that it worked fine before my reload of winXP, I had all the same hardware and software before that, nothing has changed. Since it still does not work I think it is a driver issue. No, I have no email tech support yet, though I mya have to soon

-spike

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Did you remember to reinstall your chipset drivers after you reinstalled Windows XP? Also make sure you have the latest BIOS for your system.

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
lol, doh, that may be the problem. I totally forgot about installing any chipest drivers. The version of the BIOS I have is ok, it was the same as before. Thanks for the reply, I am gonna try that.