Question Radeon 5950 XT, 5950 and 5800 XT EEC filings EEC filings

soresu

Platinum Member
Dec 19, 2014
News of regulatory filings in the EEC came up on Techpowerup for the Radeon 5950 XT, 5950 and 5800 XT.

Link here.

Sorry mods if I'm not supposed to be posting this without the Navi thread, I'm not sure where to post it.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
The comments in that link show that companies have been filing these things since June 2019. Hopefully it's an indication that we're around the corner from a big announcement (E3 maybe?) but I wouldn't hold my breath.

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
xSGkt20nSVcguIZQ.jpg

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
Well... I have such an excruciatingly bad feeling of déjà vu, that I wanna scream. If the leak and the performance is legit and big navi would be anywhere between 20-30% faster than the 2080ti (because the fastest 2080tis are heavily overclocked on that leaderboard), then the only thing it would achieve is to give NVIDIA the perfect opportunity to copy their 980ti moment (Big Navi is 20-30 faster than 2080ti at around 2080ti power consumption, but then comes the next NVIDIA flagship to be even faster and much more efficient) to an extent where RTG is ridiculed in the eyes of the enthusiast community. I mean, 980ti and Fury X were at least close in performance, but of course the 980ti used waaaaaaaay less power.

Remember, Pascal, for example, came on the 16nm node in a way that even the very last week before launch nobody really wanted to believe it's actually been taped out, and after launch everyone was convinced that it's only a paper launch and RISK production etc... Still, they shipped millions in a short time. NVIDIA is not Intel, I don't know why, but they seem to prevent leaks very efficiently (maybe everyone is afraid of Mr. Leather Jacket!!! :D), and even when everything points to them not really having wafer allocation at TSCM, and that Samsung's HP 7nm EUV is in a dire shape regarding yields, all that just reassures this dreadful déjà vu I'm having.

But as always when I fear for AMD (they still need a lot of financial success to remain a competitor to the 2 players for more than just 3-4 years), I really hope I'm not right :) Also, new consoles as RTG/RDNA's saving grace? We'll see.

The only other idea I have is to somehow make their GPUs 6-wide with SMT4 and maybe they can catch up to Apple's IPC. Oh wait.... :laughing:

Joking aside, I have no problem seeing big navi as an NVIDIA killer - if that means to have finally beaten a (by then) 18+months GPU on 7nm vs 12nm. How do they want to price such a monstrous 7nm GPU right for all this to actually mean anything?

Last edited:

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
Guys, stop assuming anything from this filing. All it says is AFOX have a Navi die that's bigger than Navi 10. Actual performance, power figures, you name it - can not and should not be assumed from this.

Reactions: Glo.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Well... I have such an excruciatingly bad feeling of déjà vu, that I wanna scream. If the leak and the performance is legit and big navi would be anywhere between 20-30% faster than the 2080ti.

I wouldn't read too much into a single result. Even if it's accurate there are plenty of games where an otherwise equivalent AMD/NVidia card has a 20%+ advantage. I haven't looked into these results to determine if that might be the case, but has anyone checked how a 5700XT performs relative to its contemporaries?

But we do know how Navi performs in a general sense and it's pretty okay and doesn't have all of the big performance gains locked away behind future promises of magic drivers. It's not unreasonable to expect that AMD could finally have something that performs in the xx80 Ti or Titan class of cards. Their last few generations of cards haven't been all that great, but don't let that trap you into thinking it would unthinkable for AMD to have something competitive again.

But even then this is just a case of catching up. Even if it takes a while, NVidia has yet to release their 7nm cards and they've always been pretty good about stepping up their own game when AMD is competitive. NVidia also has a lot of wiggle room on price, so even if AMD comes away as the clear performance winner, NVidia can easily reposition themselves so that they still have the better value product.

Reactions: lobz

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
I wouldn't read too much into a single result. Even if it's accurate there are plenty of games where an otherwise equivalent AMD/NVidia card has a 20%+ advantage.
I don't know how that's supposed to make me feel better, it just makes things even worse :laughing:

Anyway, you're right of course... I was just quite drunk and what could be a better idea when you're drunk, than to dump your innermost fears for the oh so fragile competition on a tech forum in 40 parapgraphs and page-long sentences :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
I don't know how that's supposed to make me feel better, it just makes things even worse :laughing:

Anyway, you're right of course... I was just quite drunk and what could be a better idea when you're drunk, than to dump your innermost fears for the oh so fragile competition on a tech forum in 40 parapgraphs and page-long sentences :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

At least you didn't stand outside of anyone's window with a boombox.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Beating a dead horse but

AMD’s President and CEO Dr. Lisa Su has confirmed that we will see the Big Navi in 2020. So far, Dr. Lisa Su had not referred to the chip as ‘Big Navi’, only that a high-end Navi should be expected. The new message also clearly confirms that the GPU will be released this year.

Summer maybe?

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010

A few things: First of all, AFOX doesn’t presently make any current-generation AMD video cards, so that’s a big jump right away. Secondly, the EEC filings are not filed by AMD, as a lot of people thought, and they also aren’t filed by the board vendors. Igor’s Lab retrieved a statement from AFOX that indicated one of its Russian distribution partners filed the names and listings for future import.
Basically, these listings were created in anticipation of something that might exist at some point, but not by a company that actually has product in-hand.

shouldn't come as a surprise

Reactions: pandemonium