Radeon 4770

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by crashtech, Feb 19, 2017.

1. crashtech

crashtech Diamond Member

I have an old Radeon 4770 that I want to put to work doing Milkyway@Home, but even though the documentation I have seen says it's supported, it is not recognized by Milkyway@Home in several different machines in which I've tried it. Is it not supported any more, or is there a special line in app_config that needs to be added? This card has the unfortunate coincidence of being named the same as a popular Intel CPU, making searches that much more difficult. i'm getting ready to bin it if it won't work

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Radeon Forum Date
    Radeon R9 200 series on Vista Distributed Computing Dec 19, 2016
    Old AMD Radeon R9-280X prices Distributed Computing Jan 2, 2016
    Radeon Fury X Distributed Computing Jun 16, 2015
    New Radeon cards Distributed Computing Nov 2, 2013
    Best DC project for my Radeon? Distributed Computing Jul 18, 2013

3. Kiska

Kiska Senior member

What drivers are you using? They need to be both picked up by Windows and BOINC, also Windows 10 has a habit of not including the OpenCL drivers

4. crashtech

crashtech Diamond Member

Good info, I will see if that can be remedied

5. Ken g6

Ken g6 Programming Moderator, Elite Member

Well, that's a venerable old card. Try it with PrimeGrid PPS Sieve. If it doesn't work there, it's a driver or hardware problem.

6. crashtech

crashtech Diamond Member

So far I can see that Windows 10 won't install the legacy driver, since it detects that its own driver is newer and therefore "better." Maybe there is a way to override this, but for now, I am installing the AMD APP SDK, which should include Open CL.

7. crashtech

crashtech Diamond Member

I'm wrong, the SDK only includes CPU runtimes, the GPU runtimes are exclusively contained within the Catalyst drivers. Thanks, AMD.

8. Markfw

Markfw CPU Moderator VC&G Moderator Elite Member
    Super Moderator

Is that newer than a GTX 460 ? or 560TI ? I have one of each with fan problems, and could send both your way for $20 (shipping)

9. Kiska

Kiska Senior member

Umm you can try to uninstall Windows drivers by using DDU, and prohibiting Windows from downloading drivers by using Control Panel -> System -> Advanced System settings -> Hardware -> Device Installation Settings, select No, then try to install drivers from AMD

10. crashtech

crashtech Diamond Member

I do have AMDs legacy driver installed, using some manual override tricks, but the GPU is still not being utilized. Next I need some way to determine whether OpenCL is functional on the system.

@Markfw, I'm just doing this as an experiment. Old AMD GPUs do fairly well at Milkyway@Home, while I don't know if the GPUs you describe would do much, a little Folding perhaps?

Edit: I haven't been able to make the 4770 work, so back into the junk drawer it goes.

#9 crashtech, Feb 19, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  11. Kiska

Kiska Senior member

You can use this tool to see if you have OpenCL drivers installed: http://www.ozone3d.net/gpu_caps_viewer/

For example I have this in my OpenCL field: OpenCL 1.2, GeForce 940MX compute units:4@860MHz

crashtech likes this.
  12. TennesseeTony

TennesseeTony Elite Member

My HD4850's, when they did get recognized, required special tasks from Milkyway. Win10 is unsupported by AMD from the 4000 series on back. The 4850 was a bad little card, and ran the older tasks in about a minute 21. :D

Assimilator1 has a link to the Milkyway forum in his latest benchmark thread, in which people are complaining about the 4000 series not having work, and Jake Weiss's replies that they are having other issues that are of a higher priority for the moment. That was October of 16.

crashtech likes this.
  13. iwajabitw

iwajabitw Senior member

@crashtech To prevent Win10 from installing its own drivers do this. Control Panel>System and Security>System>Hardware tab>Device Installation Settings. Click off NO and apply. So far this has kept my devices from getting auto updated by Win 10.

crashtech likes this.
  14. crashtech

crashtech Diamond Member

@iwajabitw , I'll answer your question here as not to continue the thread hijack in the RC-5/72 thread.

The 5870 is doing 3 at a time in around 230 seconds, and the 5970 is doing 6 at a time in about 270 seconds. The 5970 runs pretty hot, I'm going to redo the TIM tonight and see if it will do a bit more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_graphics_processing_units#Radeon_HD_5000_Series

As you can see the 5870 does about 544 GFLOPS in DP, and the 5970 does about 928. They are sometimes found super cheap, but they are power hogs. I found the 5970 on Craigslist for $50.

They are picky about driver selection, for a while there I thought they wouldn't work, but there is a Catalyst driver out there that will allow these to work in Win10.

15. iwajabitw

iwajabitw Senior member

That's impressive! My 980's take over 300s doing two at a time, but I know there not dp proficient, CPU times are high. I'll be interested to see what the RAC turns out to be after you have them running a while.

16. VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry Lifer

@crashtech , how cheap would I have have to make them, to get you to take these two 7950 3GB cards off of my hands?

17. crashtech

crashtech Diamond Member

My goal was to get better than 10GFlops DP/$ with my AMD card purchases, but I scored a 280x recently for $80. I think I might have stolen that, lol, but that's now the bar I've set for cards that basically will have zero resale when I'm done with them, which is 12GFlops/$+. Using 12GFlops DP/$ results in a such a low number that I am afraid to offer it to you, though.

18. TennesseeTony

TennesseeTony Elite Member

I've had my fleet of 280X cards for going on 3 years, and paid an average of $130 each. And yes $80 is a steal, but so far it doesn't look like I've lost much in value. :D