Article Number
RN-RAD-WIN-21-6-2
Radeon Software Adrenalin 21.6.2 Highlights
Support For

• DOOM Eternal™
    • Vulkan® Ray Tracing
Added Vulkan® Support
  • VK_EXT_custom_border_color
    • This extension allows applications to specify a custom border color for when the sampler address mode VK_SAMPLER_ADDRESS_MODE_CLAMP_TO_BORDER is used.
  • VK_KHR_shader_subgroup_uniform_control_flow
    • This extension exposes the availability of the SPV_KHR_subgroup_uniform_control_flow SPIR-V extension for shader modules use. The SPIR-V extension provides stronger guarantees that diverged subgroups will reconverge.
  • VK_EXT_color_write_enable
    • This extension allows applications to selectively enable and disable writes to output color attachments via a pipeline dynamic state. This has the potential to reduce pipeline counts for increased efficiency.
Fixed Issues
  • While playing MechWarrior 5™: Mercenaries on DirectX® 11, visual artifacts may be observed on some AMD Radeon graphics products such as Radeon RX 6000 series graphics products.
  • An error message – Error 184 – may be received after running the AMD Auto-Detect and Install Updates utility program on Windows® 7 based systems.
  • Adobe Substance 3D Painter™ may freeze while running this application on some AMD Radeon graphics products such as Radeon RX 6900.
Known Issues
  • Some users may experience elevated memory usage by AMD User Experience Program. A temporary workaround is to opt-out of the AMD User Experience Program. Learn more from AMD here on how to opt out of the program.
  • Resident Evil Village™ may experience an intermittent application hang or TDR on AMD Radeon VII graphics products in the first mission of the game.
  • Enhanced Sync may cause a black screen to occur when enabled on some games and system configurations. Any users who may be experiencing issues with Enhanced Sync enabled should disable it as a temporary workaround.
  • Connecting two displays with large differences in resolution/refresh rates may cause flickering on Radeon RX Vega series graphics products.
  • An Oculus service error may be received on Radeon RX 5000 & 6000 series graphics products which prevents the Oculus Link setup software from running.
  • Radeon performance metrics and logging features may intermittently report extremely high and incorrect memory clock values.
  • If Ryzen Master is not detected in Adrenalin software after installation, a system restart may be required.
  • If Blue or Black screen is observed in mobile systems, temporarily disable Enhanced sign-in
  • A driver mismatch error may appear when two versions of Radeon software (Windows Store & AMD Support versions) are installed on your system. As a temporary workaround, launch the Windows Store version of Radeon software.
  • A Blue or Black screen may be observed after updating to the latest Radeon Software. A workaround is to disable core isolation.
  • AMD is investigating a D3 code that may be seen in some motherboard after updating to the latest Radeon Software.
  • Lower than expected performance may be observed on select AMD Athlon™ mobile systems.
AMD Link for Windows Known Issues
  • Intermittent grey frame corruption might be observed when streaming with HEVC on certain configurations via an Internet connection. A workaround is to use the AVC encoding setting instead.
Package Contents
The Radeon Software Adrenalin 21.6.2 installation package contains the following:
  • Radeon Software Adrenalin 21.6.2 Driver Version 21.20.01.16 for Windows® 10 (Windows Driver Store Version 27.20.22001.16006).

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Wooo! Ray Tracing for AMD in a PC game.

I was googling whether or not we were getting this for Doom on PC since the consoles are getting it now but my Googlefu was not good.

Comments section reports tight optimization for RDNA2 and high frame rates - so maybe even good performance with RT on?!? I would love for it to work on my 6800 @ 2K with high presets and anything above ~80fps would be awesome.

Going to look at playing this soon, I really enjoyed the last Doom title but was waiting for the "big update"...

Last edited:
Reactions: Despoiler

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Neat. I assume this isn't WHQL yet though?

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I would love for it to work on my 6800 @ 2K with high presets and anything above ~80fps would be awesome. Going to look at playing this soon, I really enjoyed the last Doom title but was waiting for the "big update"...

Steam has the Deluxe edition on sale currently for $30 if you don't already own it.

I'm playing @1440p on my 5900x/6800xt rig using the nightmare settings with ray tracing enabled. According to the AMD control panel I'm averaging 132fps. I've only played around an hour or so after I updated the drivers and enable ray tracing.

Reactions: blckgrffn

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Steam has the Deluxe edition on sale currently for $30 if you don't already own it.

I'm playing @1440p on my 5900x/6800xt rig using the nightmare settings with ray tracing enabled. According to the AMD control panel I'm averaging 132fps. I've only played around an hour or so after I updated the drivers and enable ray tracing.

Awesome! How does it look compared to non-RT? What was the performance hit? (even an estimate works for me)

The 6800 isn't a 6800xt but 100 FPS should be doable.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Awesome! How does it look compared to non-RT? What was the performance hit? (even an estimate works for me)

The 6800 isn't a 6800xt but 100 FPS should be doable.

I'm going to play again later tonight. I'll have to do some on/off testing the next time I play and compare fps and visuals, but it's not like Doom Eternal looked crappy to begin with.

Reactions: blckgrffn

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Control looks dramatically different on PC with RT on as near as I can tell, so I was curious as to the visual impact of the ray tracing. Having played it on PS5 with RT on, it's a pretty game without the full effect too :)

Further, I wonder how different is is from the RTX Ray Tracing that went live on capable nvidia cards? Hopefully someone will do a non-youtube review of this before long.

@Kenmitch thank you in advance :)

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Control looks dramatically different on PC with RT on

Further, I wonder how different is is from the RTX Ray Tracing that went live on capable nvidia cards? Hopefully someone will do a non-youtube review of this before long.

Control looks like arse in the screenshots I've seen with or without RTX....Compared to Dooms visuals at least.

In the end it'll be subjective when it come to the fps vs eye candy hit. I've probably played around 5-6hrs with ray tracing enabled on my rig with fps ranging from the upper 90's to 200's depending on the area I'm in and the intensity of the battles. I've switched back and forth between nightmare and ultra-nightmare adaptive sync on/off etc. I'm currently playing with HDR enabled as I liked the overall look better. I'll have to toggle it on/off to see how it effects the fps. I haven't decided on final settings yet, but it's playable either way. I guess I'll have to do some more experimenting in the end. Most of my saved levels are at some pretty intense battles or areas that I'm currently struggling to get past.

Nvidia has a web page that has some screenshots with sliders showing RTX on and off which will give you an idea of what ray tracing brought to the table for Doom Eternal at least....You'd have to decide if the visuals justify the frame drops in the end. They look nice at times, but in the heat of the battle most likely you'll not notice them.

You've probably already viewed the following review, but I'll post it just in case. It does give a fps expectation at least.