Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.2.2 (HUGE STABILITY UPDATE - RECOMMENDED DOWNLOAD)

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007

Article Number
RN-RAD-WIN-20-2-2
Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.2.2 Highlights
Fixed Issues

• Performing a task switch with some Radeon Software features enabled or some third-party applications with hardware acceleration running in the background may cause a system hang or black screen.
  • Improvements have been made that allow for more responsive fan ramp up or fan ramp down times on Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products.
  • Performance Metrics Overlay and Radeon WattMan incorrectly report lower than expected clock speeds on Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products during gaming workloads.
  • When Instant Replay is enabled, a TDR or black screen may occur when launching games or applications.
  • A black screen may occur when toggling HDR on in the game settings of Battlefield™ V.
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt™ may experience an application hang or black screen during certain parts of the game or intermittently during gameplay.
  • Some video content in Chrome™ may appear as a black screen or be unresponsive on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products when hardware acceleration is enabled.
  • Metro Exodus™ may experience an application hang or TDR when choosing some specific dialogue prompts in the Sam’s Story DLC.
  • Grand Theft Auto™ V may experience an application crash when invoking Radeon Software’s overlay with third party OSD applications running.
  • Monster Hunter World™: Iceborne may experience intermittent crashes while idle or on the character creation screen.
  • Some games colors may appear washed out when HDR mode has been enabled in game and Windows® on Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products
  • After a Factory Reset installation with the ‘Keep My Settings’ option chosen, Instant Replay could fail to function if it was enabled in the previous Radeon Software installation.
  • When invoking Radeon Software’s overlay while a game is open users may observe flickering in the game or in the Radeon Software interface.
  • Radeon Software may experience a crash and error message when locking Windows® or performing a sleep or hibernate with the Radeon Software Streaming tab open.
  • A loss of display with working audio may be experienced on a limited number of displays when performing a mode change on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products.
  • Radeon Software may fail to launch if Radeon Software’s overlay is disabled and a game is running in the background.
  • Battlefield™ V may experience an application hang or TDR after extended periods of play.
  • Some Origin™ games may fail to be detected or may detect the incorrect game title in Radeon Software.
  • Some productivity applications are being detected and listed in the Radeon Software games tab.
  • The Radeon Chill hotkey could sometimes continue to remain enabled once the user has removed or disabled the hotkey.
  • Red Dead Redemption™ 2 may exhibit blocky textures on snow covered terrain.
  • After resuming from sleep, Chrome™ may experience an application crash if video content was previously playing on Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products.
  • Radeon FreeSync status in Radeon Software may sometimes fail to update when enabling or disabling the feature through the display itself.
  • Fortnite™ may experience an application crash on Radeon RX 500 series Hybrid Graphics system configurations.
Known Issues
  • Enhanced Sync may cause a black screen to occur when enabled on some games and system configurations. Enhanced Sync has been temporarily disabled from the gaming profile and any users who may be experiencing issues with Enhanced Sync enabled should disable it as a temporary workaround.
  • Performance Metrics Overlay and Radeon WattMan incorrectly report higher than expected idle clock speeds on Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products. Performance and power consumption are not impacted by this incorrect reporting.
  • DOOM™ may experience an intermittent system hang or application crash during gameplay.
  • Desktop cursor may intermittently remain visible after toggling Radeon Software’s overlay in some games. A workaround is to bring up the game menu or task switch to refresh the cursor.
  • A system crash or hang may occur when running the Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers™ benchmark.
  • The Gaming tab in Radeon Software may display some folder locations appearing as games.
  • Radeon Software may open with an inconsistent window size or may not keep its previously set size when opened.
  • Modifying the HDMI Scaling slider may cause FPS to become locked to 30.
  • Some games may exhibit stutter intermittently during gameplay on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products.
  • Some games may experience stutter while using Instant Replay or third-party applications that stream or perform screen capture. A potential workaround is to disable these features or applications while gaming.
  • Although Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.2.2 resolves many black screen issues, AMD is aware that some users may still experience black screen or system hang issues during extended periods of gameplay. AMD will continue to monitor and investigate reports of these issues closely.
Important Notes
  • This optional release of Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition is targeted towards resolving recent important issues identified by our community. We will be closely monitoring feedback on the release, and encourage users to submit issues they encounter at www.amd.com/report.
  • AMD Ryzen™ Mobile Processors with Radeon™ Vega Graphics FAQ for Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition can be found here.
Package Contents
The Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.2.2 installation package contains the following:
  • Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.2.2 Driver Version 19.50.19.15 (Windows Driver Store Version 26.20.15019.15018)

Reactions: lightmanek

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Sounds like some good improvements for the Navi related driver issues. I wonder when we will get the 5900 XT reveal...

Reactions: Despoiler

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
All of the feedback on several forums has confirmed these fix the vast majority of Navi black screen issues. I think there are still some corner cases. AMD really blitzed their customer contact teams to get as much information as possible from the community. Everything left should be fixed soon.

For me, these are noticeably faster across the board compared to previous 2020 drivers. The only issues I had prior was the hardware acceleration in Discord and Chromium based browsers. Disabling HA didn't cause any issues for me so easy fix. Chromium was patched. Discord I'm still not sure why it needs hardware acceleration. I'll be testing them never the less.

EDIT: These are blazing fast and smooth in everything I'm playing.

Last edited:

prtskg

Oct 26, 2015
All of the feedback on several forums has confirmed these fix the vast majority of Navi black screen issues. I think there are still some corner cases. AMD really blitzed their customer contact teams to get as much information as possible from the community. Everything left should be fixed soon.

For me, these are noticeably faster across the board compared to previous 2020 drivers. The only issues I had prior was the hardware acceleration in Discord and Chromium based browsers. Disabling HA didn't cause any issues for me so easy fix. Chromium was patched. Discord I'm still not sure why it needs hardware acceleration. I'll be testing them never the less.

EDIT: These are blazing fast and smooth in everything I'm playing.
I too had problems with discord app. Now I'm using it with browser, did clean install using ddu. Now everything is fine.

Shamrock

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
It has changed on AMD's website. It now has a March 5 date. I am guessing it received WHQL cert. Which it is now.

May 11, 2008
These drivers are not that good for RX 4xx cards. I see a serious regression in performance(lower fps in rage 2) with respect to the 19. xx. x drivers.
I noticed 19.9.2 gives the best performance for rage 2. More than 60fps. But everything 20.xx.x is between 30 and 40 fps.

Last edited:

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Installed earlier... noticeably smoother frame rate in a few games so far with Vega. Not bad; I hadn't updated since the last certified driver IIRC

Egonic

Mar 8, 2020
Can't imagine how the drivers were before this.

Recently picked up an RX 5600 XT, and the amount of crashes, system freezes, drivers stops responding, drivers don't launch properly forcing reboots, it's staggeringly bad. This with the 20.2.2 drivers.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Can't imagine how the drivers were before this.

Recently picked up an RX 5600 XT, and the amount of crashes, system freezes, drivers stops responding, drivers don't launch properly forcing reboots, it's staggeringly bad. This with the 20.2.2 drivers.

Welcome? I'm not sure how much effort you've putt'n into making the card work, but your 1st post could be viewed as suspicious by some members.

What OS?
How old is the install?
Did you remove your old video card drivers before swapping cards?
Have you tried using Display Driver Uninstaller in safe mode to see if it corrects your issues?

Egonic

Mar 8, 2020
Welcome? I'm not sure how much effort you've putt'n into making the card work, but your 1st post could be viewed as suspicious by some members.

What OS?
How old is the install?
Did you remove your old video card drivers before swapping cards?
Have you tried using Display Driver Uninstaller in safe mode to see if it corrects your issues?
Thank you very much!

Well, that's all fine by me, I would personally find it a bit suspicious as well, though anyone who follows this issue/ had these issues would know what a pain it's to deal with.

I am on Windows 10, if you mean when the OS was installed it has been years, and it's been moved over to other SSD's during those, the GPU I have had for like a week.
My drivers were already on the 20.2.2 release as I swapped from a very reliable R9 290, though the noise and heat got a bit much for me!

I very much appreciate you trying to help, from my side I haven't bothered to try much given that AMD is confirming there are issues, you can find numerous threads/posts on AMD's own forum, and other sources.

I have also pretty much confirmed that it is a driver thing, given that Windows memory dumps and Event Viewer logs blames them.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Thank you very much!

Well, that's all fine by me, I would personally find it a bit suspicious as well, though anyone who follows this issue/ had these issues would know what a pain it's to deal with.

I am on Windows 10, if you mean when the OS was installed it has been years, and it's been moved over to other SSD's during those, the GPU I have had for like a week.
My drivers were already on the 20.2.2 release as I swapped from a very reliable R9 290, though the noise and heat got a bit much for me!

I very much appreciate you trying to help, from my side I haven't bothered to try much given that AMD is confirming there are issues, you can find numerous threads/posts on AMD's own forum, and other sources.

I have also pretty much confirmed that it is a driver thing, given that Windows memory dumps and Event Viewer logs blames them.

Relying on Windows to continue to perform correctly after multiple years and multiple hardware swaps is not wise, IMO. Just because there are some remaining issues with the drivers (majority should be fixed) doesn't mean that a clean install of the drivers or possibly the OS, won't fix the issue. I've had "driver issues" with a headset before because somewhere a long the way a feature of Windows broke through various updates and no matter what I did, I couldn't fix it. A clean Windows install fixed the feature and the "driver issue" went a way. Nothing's a guarantee but it seems like waiting for a fix without making sure things are clean on your end may not ever bring the desired results.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Thank you very much!

I'd at least put a little effort into trying to cure the issues your having. It's like you just decided to give up with little to no effort at all. Sure you can blame AMD for your issues, but they might just be your doing in the end.

Use Display driver uninstaller and wipe your current drivers and then reinstall them.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Well, in all honesty I've gotten much less patient with expensive graphics products. End user 'effort' should be minimal if we're talking ideals. Yes, that can rarely be the case but I've come to adopt the "if it's a good product, then it should basically be PnP"

Yes, graphics cards are not USB devices and are more sensitive to OS changes and updates blah blah fkn blah but vendors should be able to compensate for that and make the user experience mostly seamless. I don't mind tinkering of course, but for someone who just wants something they paid for work good out of the gate--I sympathize that it can be very frustrating.

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
Well, in all honesty I've gotten much less patient with expensive graphics products. End user 'effort' should be minimal if we're talking ideals. Yes, that can rarely be the case but I've come to adopt the "if it's a good product, then it should basically be PnP"

Yes, graphics cards are not USB devices and are more sensitive to OS changes and updates blah blah fkn blah but vendors should be able to compensate for that and make the user experience mostly seamless. I don't mind tinkering of course, but for someone who just wants something they paid for work good out of the gate--I sympathize that it can be very frustrating.

If you want a stable experience then buy a pre-built computer or MAC. If you build your own computer you automatically accept that you are the support regardless of what the root cause of an issue turns out to be.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
If you build your own computer you automatically accept that you are the support regardless of what the root cause of an issue turns out to be.

Really? So, if the root cause is a garbage product it's still your fault?

C'mon now...

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Really? So, if the root cause is a garbage product it's still your fault?

C'mon now...

He didn't say that, he said that you are your own support so it's up to you to ID the product issue and return/replace it.

I understand your feeling here but I don't know what to say except welcome to DiY PC building? There are so many issues that can happen between hardware, OS, drivers, applications, that I think it's naive to expect things to just work, no matter how much you pay for the parts. When I worked PC repair back in college, it was already at the point where a lot of people would come in for a PC repair and end up just buying a brand new PC because it wasn't worth it to them to be without their PC and pay the $$ required to isolate and fix the issue(s) they were having. Might as well just start from scratch with new hardware.

As I mentioned before, I've had driver issues that I couldn't fix for anything. However, a fresh install of Windows and the same "problem" drivers worked fine. So was it the drivers or was it Windows? Most likely Windows. So how could a driver for a part that is running into a broken Windows installation fix Windows to avoid the problem? Heck, my wife's Ipad had several issues with updates and specific apps, even when it was brand new and that's a device that is supposed to be designed from the bottom up to be as vertically integrated and problem free as possible.

I also think that we are actually very spoiled compared to 10 or especially 20+ years ago. Driver install and stability are so much better than back then it's laughable thinking about the time and stress I went through trying to make things work back then.

Reactions: SamMaster

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I cannot be certain about this, but depending on the type of 5600 XT it could be a hardware issue. What brand and model is it? I have heard some of them are flashed for 14GBps GDDR6 even though the actual memory used might not be able to handle it, depending on how the factory made it. Sapphire I recall should have good memory used.

Egonic

Mar 8, 2020
Relying on Windows to continue to perform correctly after multiple years and multiple hardware swaps is not wise, IMO. Just because there are some remaining issues with the drivers (majority should be fixed) doesn't mean that a clean install of the drivers or possibly the OS, won't fix the issue. I've had "driver issues" with a headset before because somewhere a long the way a feature of Windows broke through various updates and no matter what I did, I couldn't fix it. A clean Windows install fixed the feature and the "driver issue" went a way. Nothing's a guarantee but it seems like waiting for a fix without making sure things are clean on your end may not ever bring the desired results.
I appreciate the suggestion, I haven't really considered that my drivers would get corrupt/have issues, from changing a GPU that uses the same drivers.
A clean install of everything is a rather major task for me, definitely something I will try and wait a little while with until AMD comes back with more information, and new drivers updates. Worst case I will do that though!

I'd at least put a little effort into trying to cure the issues your having. It's like you just decided to give up with little to no effort at all. Sure you can blame AMD for your issues, but they might just be your doing in the end.

Use Display driver uninstaller and wipe your current drivers and then reinstall them.

Well, trying to cure bad drivers isn't really my go-to skill. With AMD's rough driver launch and continued known issues with them, and the numerous people I have seen that still have similar problems, it's definitely not my first reaction to start making changes on my end. Maybe you would do things differently, but I prefer starting at what I see as the probable cause first.

I cannot be certain about this, but depending on the type of 5600 XT it could be a hardware issue. What brand and model is it? I have heard some of them are flashed for 14GBps GDDR6 even though the actual memory used might not be able to handle it, depending on how the factory made it. Sapphire I recall should have good memory used.
It's the Sapphire Pulse, I read the Anandtech article and then saw AMD's big driver update, so felt like the right card and a good time to upgrade.

Not familiar with how symptoms would show up if that was the case, I simply updated the BIOS for it and put it in lower power mode. It's a really nice card, just some problematic issues still.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
I appreciate the suggestion, I haven't really considered that my drivers would get corrupt/have issues, from changing a GPU that uses the same drivers.
A clean install of everything is a rather major task for me, definitely something I will try and wait a little while with until AMD comes back with more information, and new drivers updates. Worst case I will do that though!

Well, trying to cure bad drivers isn't really my go-to skill. With AMD's rough driver launch and continued known issues with them, and the numerous people I have seen that still have similar problems, it's definitely not my first reaction to start making changes on my end. Maybe you would do things differently, but I prefer starting at what I see as the probable cause first.

It's the Sapphire Pulse, I read the Anandtech article and then saw AMD's big driver update, so felt like the right card and a good time to upgrade.

Not familiar with how symptoms would show up if that was the case, I simply updated the BIOS for it and put it in lower power mode. It's a really nice card, just some problematic issues still.

I would start with a complete wiping of any graphics drivers from all 3 companies (NV, Intel, AMD) using DDU and see if that helps. If the issues aren't fixed and if a fresh Windows is too much effort right now then you'll have to wait until AMD says they've eliminated the current issues (as much as possible, drivers are never 100% problem free from anyone) to see if yours are fixed as well.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010

The drivers that get installed for a Hawaii card are different than those for a Navi card. The release version may be the same, but the installer will install drivers for the card family in question.

The Pulse should be fine regarding the BIOS update. But your issues really sound like you need to run DDU and start fresh from a GPU driver perspective. AMD also has the option of doing a full fresh install when you run the installer, if you don't want to use DDU.

Zstream

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2005
I would start with a complete wiping of any graphics drivers from all 3 companies (NV, Intel, AMD) using DDU and see if that helps. If the issues aren't fixed and if a fresh Windows is too much effort right now then you'll have to wait until AMD says they've eliminated the current issues (as much as possible, drivers are never 100% problem free from anyone) to see if yours are fixed as well.
You're assuming he even has the card.

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
It has changed on AMD's website. It now has a March 5 date. I am guessing it received WHQL cert. Which it is now.

If you have a newer AMD card, these ones are a MUST.
Stability and WHQL. Get them.

EDIT. Make sure to have windows "update drivers" DISABLED. Windows has the annoying habit of "updating" drivers on its own, and if you have the setting enabled, it will install the ones from microsoft. You will think that the new ones "are not good" when in fact windows already overwrote them with something else..

Last edited:

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
If you have a newer AMD card, these ones are a MUST.
Stability and WHQL. Get them.

EDIT. Make sure to have windows "update drivers" DISABLED. Windows has the annoying habit of "updating" drivers on its own, and if you have the setting enabled, it will install the ones from microsoft. You will think that the new ones "are not good" when in fact windows already overwrote them with something else..

Windows is supposed to send out whatever the latest WHQL driver is. The only time I have seen it update to old drivers if is the machine had non-WHQL drivers installed.

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
Windows is supposed to send out whatever the latest WHQL driver is. The only time I have seen it update to old drivers if is the machine had non-WHQL drivers installed.

I know it is supposed to do it that way, but I witnessed that in one of my home PCs it replaced Adrenalin 19.12.2 WHQL with something older :eek:
Even more puzzling? A twin PC with the same adrenalin 19.12.2 WHQL kept them!
So don't chance it, disable windows drivers updates.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I can't install these on my 13.3 ematic laptop from walmart with a4-9120e APU, even though they are recommended by Amd's web-site driver recommendation.

I get a "Code 182: Not detected or supported", on both the full installer and the webinstaller for Win10 64-bit. Currently running 1909.