radar detectors..anybody has one??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TrueBlueLS

Platinum Member
Jul 13, 2001

<< I've found that donating to the state police fraternity is a MUCH better deterrent than a radar detector at avoiding speeding tickets. All you need to do is donate $25, and you get this nice sticker to put in your window stating that you are a "friend of da man".

The idea is simple... Be nice to the cops, and they'll be nice to you! When I used a radar detector, I got two tickets in a nine month period. I get caught in speed traps that my detector couldn't catch, and the cops never even considered giving me a warning. Once I got rid of the radar detector and put in a police fraternity sticker, I haven't been pulled over since.
>>

Hey... send me a PM on this. I want to know who I'd talk to get one of these.

mithrandir2001

Diamond Member
May 1, 2001
The V1 is the ONLY detector with directional information. That feature alone would make it a tough competitor. The fact that the V1 also has superlative sensitivity and supreme operational purity delivers the final blow to its competition. It's been the best and it still is the best.

Nefrodite

Banned
Feb 15, 2001
another vote for valentine, the car and driver tests were interesting, seems you get what you pay for, anything below the 400 dollar one seemed pretty worthless:p

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001

<<

<< I've found that donating to the state police fraternity is a MUCH better deterrent than a radar detector at avoiding speeding tickets. All you need to do is donate $25, and you get this nice sticker to put in your window stating that you are a "friend of da man".

The idea is simple... Be nice to the cops, and they'll be nice to you! When I used a radar detector, I got two tickets in a nine month period. I get caught in speed traps that my detector couldn't catch, and the cops never even considered giving me a warning. Once I got rid of the radar detector and put in a police fraternity sticker, I haven't been pulled over since.
>>

Hey... send me a PM on this. I want to know who I'd talk to get one of these.
>>

Well, almost every state has it's own Fraternal Order of Police. I get a yearly letter asking to support the New York chapter, but Michigan probably has it's own method for accepting donations.

JupiterJones

Jun 14, 2001
I have an old Cobra that has served well. Key is, stay in traffic so you pick him up scanning somebody else.

I still live in a free state so I don't have to worry about radar detector detectors.

The valentine1 is the best, and is almost invisible to vg-1 and vg-2. Not the case with the others.

arcain

Oct 9, 1999

<< People that are claiming that the Valentine is the best are clueless. I own both the Valentine and the Passport 8500. I have had the Valentine for about three years and the 8500 for about six months. The 8500 is the best detector by far. The only advantage (if you want to call it that) to the Valentine unit is that it tells you which direction that the radar is coming from. I have found this to be a pretty worthless feature. It's kind of cool to know the direction, but realistically if you are in reach of the radar, you should slow down to the speed limit.

I'm a subscriber to C&D and am very disappointed that they ranked the V1 over the 8500; although, it doesn't surprise me. Valentine and C&D have been in bed together for years. Valentine has been purchasing large amounts of advertising space in C&D for a long time, which I think has skewed these latest test results. Every other test between these two detectors (from unbiased sources) have placed the 8500 well ahead of the V1.

Here's one
>>

Of course, Valentine 1 states that the reviewer is biased against them, and has "consulted" for all other manufacturers except for them, and his testing is flawed, etc.

BatmanNate

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
I wonder what degree of difficulty would be involved in actually constructing a device that jams commonly used police radar frequencies? Would this carry some sort of hefty penalty for violating FCC interference regs? I would think that pinning down the user of such a homemade device would be a difficult task in an of itself. Just a thought.

LordEdmond

Feb 12, 2001
here in the uk the police have a sneakier way to trap speeding ( radar dectectors no good at all ) they have put up digital cameras Along the road the cameras record your number plate and time , with this info the next camera does the same ,then your average speed is calculated , bingo speeding fine. Now they are going to expand the network

h8red

Jul 24, 2001
LordEdmond:
I think I saw somewhere that there are polarized plastic sheets that you can put over the top of your license plate. Looking head on you can't see any difference but from other angles it blurs the plate number

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
No. They're illegal in a few states and in most, if not all Canadian provinces.

Active jammers (that transmit) are illegal in all 50 states under federal (FCC) regulation.

Passive jammers are illegal in many states, but I'm not sure which, besides my state of Minnesota. It really doesn't matter though, since passive jammers don't work.

jsbush

Diamond Member
Nov 13, 2000
So I'm out of luck cus I live in Quebec.:|

Can the newer radar detectors be detected by police?

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I've found that donating to the state police fraternity is a MUCH better deterrent than a radar detector at avoiding speeding tickets. All you need to do is donate $25, and you get this nice sticker to put in your window stating that you are a "friend of da man".

I've had a similar experience . . . every time I've been pulled over with a radar detector, I got a ticket. I finally junked it, and every time I've been pulled over since I've got off with a warning.