Racist Button At Texas Repubican Convention...

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
A button with this racist message was sold at the Texas Republican state conventionThere are racist idiots of all stripes, but I think the level of group responsibility rises sharply when items like these are allowed to be sold at the state party's official convention.

While a number of speakers -- such as Railroad Commission chairman Michael Williams and Mike Huckabee -- have praised the advance of Barack Obama and what it means towards a colorblind society, at least one vendor hasn't gotten the message.

At the Republican state convention, a booth hosted by Republicanmarket was selling a pin Saturday that says: If Obama is President will we still call it the White House.

There were other pins that weren't necessarily conveying the positive, inclusive, united front that has been portrayed during the convention. One said, "Press 1 for English. Press 2 for Deportation" and another, "I will hold my nose when I vote for McCain"

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
To paraphrase a famous Texas Republican (and McCain fundraiser) Clayton Williams, racism is a lot like rape.

As long as it's inevitable, you might as well lie back and enjoy it.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Harvey
There are racist idiots of all stripes, but I think the level of group responsibility rises sharply when items like these are allowed to be sold at the state party's official convention.

I think the button is way out-of-line. Completely unacceptable.

But I think it unfair to blame the state party IF this really happened. I've been in charge of numerous events for many years where vendors are allowed in to sell items. While we have a rigorous screening process to select vendors, there's no way anybody can examine and approve each and every item for sale. Just can't be done. If you catch something unapproved/inappropriate you have them pull it from view and possibly ban them from returning.

I say "IF" above because this stuff you link is from blogs. I'm always suspicious of that. I looked up the company purported to sell that button and I searched their site but couldn't find it. Mighta missed it? They do have a lot of irreverent stuff, but I just couldn't find the Obama button. So, I'm a little doubtful about the veracity of this story.

Fern

Edit: BTW, these I did see:

There were other pins that weren't necessarily conveying the positive, inclusive, united front that has been portrayed during the convention. One said, "Press 1 for English. Press 2 for Deportation" and another, "I will hold my nose when I vote for McCain"

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I have a co-worker with a mug that says "100% Black, no Sugar, no Cream". She's black...is she a racist?

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
One great thing about the freedom of speech is that it makes it easier to spot morons.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: CPA
I have a co-worker with a mug that says "100% Black, no Sugar, no Cream". She's black...is she a racist?

She doesn't sound very sweet.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
"Press 1 for English. Press 2 for Deportation"

ROFL copter on that one, I would pay $1 for one of those.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: jonks
Ok, condemn it, but condemn ALL of it.

http://i29.tinypic.com/xqkf9c.jpg

They were selling other offensive buttons. This one was the worst I saw... at least so far. I expect to see worse.

The shirt is sexist, but not racist, and since Hillary's no longer in the race, so it's irrelevant.

It's interesting that whoever came up with that word/image combination knew that those who would buy it would be too stupid not to get it without including the full text explanation on the shirt. :p

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Harvey
Originally posted by: jonks
Ok, condemn it, but condemn ALL of it.

http://i29.tinypic.com/xqkf9c.jpg

They were selling other offensive buttons. This one was the worst I saw... at least so far. I expect to see worse.

The shirt is sexist, but not racist, and since Hillary's no longer in the race, so it's irrelevant.

It's interesting that whoever came up with that word/image combination knew that those who would buy it would be too stupid not to get it without including the full text explanation on the shirt. :p

Ok, I read the shirt via images .... didn't get what they were going for. Then read the words and cracked up. I don't even hate Hillary, didn't want her to be president, but don't have anything against her. I laughed though.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002

You know though I see it in a different light not entirely because it is a double standard. Blacks were denigrated in this country since almost the very beginning up till about 50 years ago. That type of perception doesn't go away very easily and mentally colonizes people because even today the image is that blacks are more dangerous than other groups when we see things in the news and paper, or that they naturally preform less etc etc. I'm not saying it is true at all and I don't believe it, but in order to counter the messages that you hear quietly you need blacks as a group to be able to be proud of who they are.
Whites as a group have had it great in comparison. This isn't to say that you or me are responsible to what happened to blacks, and that blacks of today have it as bad....its society around us ~ and society is heavily influenced and developed by the past

I see the first as just sickening because it simply isn't needed and we are past the point of that shit. But I see the second as an intermediate stage until we can move towards something better as a society.

bsobel

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Dec 9, 2001
Its not interesting that it was being offered for sale, what would be interesting is if anyone bought any...

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999

Do you really not see the difference? Really?

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001

Probably. Some of the most racist people I know are Black. But I'd have to get to know her better before I make a final judgment.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Perknose

Seriously.

Looks like racial pride.

I'm of Scottish (and other) decent, if I have a coffee mug with a tartan pattern would that make me racist? Of course not. It's merely ethnic pride.

Fern

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Fern
Originally posted by: Perknose

Seriously.

Looks like racial pride.

I'm of Scottish (and other) decent, if I have a coffee mug with a tartan pattern would that make me racist? Of course not. It's merely ethnic pride.

Fern
AH yes the Scotts, love to drink but hate paying for it.;)

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001

That aint too bad compared to the bumper sticker I saw the other day.

"Make the Government bigger, vote for the...

black guy."

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com